Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Vehicle Reg - Get a Title

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 600Miles, Jul 28, 2021.

1. 600Miles

600Miles

I bought a '58 Isetta in CA from a buddy with just a bill of sale, title lost. State of Oregon requires a title to transfer ownership. State of Ca will probably hit me up for at least $300, State of OR will charge me $200 for a lifetime registration after I register it in CA.

I heard there are other states that make it easy to get a title....Is it Legit? I got a temp so I can hit some local shows in August. Any help out there?

600miles
    Oregon Resident

2. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

How are you coming up with 300 from California? I just did a lost title with a statement of facts and a bill of sale on a car that was sitting since 87. Even paying for registration, which you don't need to do, it was only 250. Small price to pay and it's legitimate.

egads and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Pay the $500. and be done with it. This question comes up all the time on Hamb. The time to ask questions are before money is exchanged.

Pat

4. Did your buddy have his name on the title? If so easy, just have him file for a replacement title. Then sign off as sold to you. If he and who knows who else have sold through bill of sale you have a more complicated path.

5. 600Miles

600Miles

Believe me, I know how to register cars, done over 200 in 40 years. Vehicle is not on file, even I could say I lost the title and get a replacement

6. 600Miles

600Miles

I got no problem paying the $, it's just how many trips will I have to make back into Calif to get the job done? Hence, other states. I did search on this subject, saw nothing obvious.

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you go the CA route print a copy of this VC section and take it with you to the DMV so they won't charge any back fees. Or better yet use a legitimate CA title service and they'll handle everything. But depending on what actual paperwork you have you might need to go to the CHP for the vin verification.

Vehicle code section 4604 (d) (3) exempts vehicles described in VC 5004 from the Planned Non-operation program. VC 5004 describes vehicles of historic value ("at least 25 years old and of historic interest"). It does not say that the car has to be registered under 5004, just has to meet the description.

Hot Rods Ta Hell and jimmy six like this.
  8. 600Miles

600Miles

I'm just guessing at $300, Sales tax, transfer fee, back fees because I didn't register within 10 days, penalties, CHP fees. I registered a salvage title Morgan and DMV hit me for $900. I registered a Dino 10 years back for a friend with just a power of atty, statement of facts stating she lost the title and it was only $27 at Watsonville. Santa Clara DMV wanted an appraisal and a bond posted for the Dino.

9. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

You just need the title. Fees will be transfer and taxes. No need to register if you don't live here. Might be pretty cheap.

10. Guess you forgot to do your home work on this one after 200 or so. And welcome to the HAMB !

upspirate, XXL__ and Budget36 like this.
  11. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

you live in Oregon...why involve California? They have no record of the car.

rusty valley likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A search shows that Oregon doesn't issue bonded titles. That puts the simple way out.
    Chapter F (oregon.gov)
    It might be easier in Oregon to look into getting it titles as an assembled vehicle. I think a bill of sale for the body saying that it was missing the engine and a bill of sale for the engine are what might get the ob done there along with a real clean engine compartment that looks like you just swapped engines.

13. choptop40

choptop40

thats a rare car..

14. redo32

redo32

My story, several years ago a customer traded me a motorcycle that belonged to his brother that he had not seen in years. My wife worked for the local PD and she called Ca DMV to try to obtain lost title documents. We had the Ca plate and the vin. They did a quick search and replied they had no record of the vehicle. We offered to pay for a hand search. They said "You don't understand. We have no record. All out of date records are deleted." Well what are we going to do? "We'll send you a letter."

The letter stated the vehicle was not reported stolen and they had no other records. We took the letter to Oregon DMV and received a title, no problem.

oliver westlund likes this.
  15. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Move to New Hampshire, write out a Bill of Sale on a napkin at the local dinner, have the summer intern at the bank notarize it and take it to a DMV. Pay the fee (less than 100 bucks) get your plates, and get out of town within the next ten (10) day (unless you think you vehicle will pass the state inspection). Well that takes care of the first year.

16. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

It's easy in Alabama pre '75 but you are far away so that won't work. Georgia would also work for one that old. But too far away.

17. 600Miles

600Miles

I registered most of my cars in CA with just a bill of sale, statement of facts and a vin verification, EZ PZ. Doesn't work in OR. Can do lien sale though easier than CA.

18. 600Miles

600Miles

A Powell Wagon is a rare car, only 3 drivers known. Isetta's are easy to find.

19. rusty valley

rusty valley

Are you "600 miles" that sells 600 honda parts? I had a 600 coupe for a while. fun little car

20. 600Miles

600Miles

Good news! Was only $46. Turns out no sales tax on Title Only

HSF likes this.
  21. 600Miles

600Miles

There's only One 600 Miles ;-)

rusty valley likes this.