Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 65 Malibu just quit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty1, Jul 27, 2021.

1. after owning my 65 Malibu, it left me sittin for the 2nd time in 34 years. It's a 230 six cyl,/ powerglide,...left this evening for a cruz nite , got about a half a mile out of town and it just up and quit runnin,..no hiccup or like lack of fuel, just flat out quit.
    .what do you think I should look at first?...I'm thinkin coil, points or a bad wire somewhere....just askin, I'll check it out in the AM to see what I can find.

2. Check for spark at the spark plugs
    Check at the coil
    Check fuel at the carb
    See what’s missing and keep checking .

Check please !

then go from there .

3. welp, I hope it's not the same as my 66 chevy shortbox, stepside problem some years back. Took an exit ramp off the interstate and it just stopped running....wouldn't start. I found it was the cheapie fiber timing gear. Not much of a job to replace but still....
    P.S. Replace it with an aluminum gear if that is indeed the problem..

51pontiac likes this.
  4. woodscaper

woodscaper

From the rules. 1965 is ok.

4. We cover traditional '65 and older American cars only. All other threads will be deleted. We don't cover rat rods, muscle cars, mustangs, or VWs.

F-ONE, 51504bat, egads and 3 others like this.

5. also check ignition switch. I had an original that wore enough that it would just shut off from time to time.

6. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Check the wires to the points, as the vacuum advance plate moves so do the wires bend untill the copper strands break and loose contact.

guthriesmith likes this.
  7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Could be resistor wire (ballast) from firewall bulkhead to the coil.

gary macdonald likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is as long as the 65 looks the same as a 64 and isn't a Pony car.
    To be honest I have never been able to tell the difference between 64 and 65 Chevelles since day one and I graduated from High School in 65.

Still it is just a car with a basic points ignition and a one barrel carb.
    Adding to what Vandenplas (wow I got it right the first time) said in post 2.
    To quote him:
    Check for spark at the spark plugs
    Check at the coil
    Check fuel at the carb
    See what’s missing and keep checking .

Check please !

then go from there .
    Are you absolutely sure you have enough gas in the tank for the engine to run? A couple of gallons of gas put into the tank may be the answer. Not wasted money either.

Then what did you change since you drove it last? Or what did you work on?

If it isn't getting spark, pop the cap off and see if the rotor is turning. The original timing gear was a fiber gear and they are known to crap out at inopportune times. Rotor turns without and issue check the points. You can snag one of your significant other's emery boards and buff up the points enough for them to work if they look like they are sticking. Gap should be about .016. A match book cover will get you close enough.
    If it has a good spark in the first place check the gas supply.

Again systematically check for the basic things = fuel and spark and then go from there.

VANDENPLAS and gimpyshotrods like this.
  9. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Condenser.... If spark related, An they also can play the intermittent game as well.

rbrewer and Zettle Bros. like this.
  10. cfmvw

cfmvw

I remember reading about a car that kept dying whenever the husband drove it, but it always ran fine for his wife. Eventually it was found that all the keys he had on his key ring weighed enough to pull the ignition switch out enough to lose electrical contact.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  11. 34Phil

34Phil

2nd vote for condensor

rbrewer likes this.
  12. Ignition, check for spark, thinking points, or rotor. stop whole ignition- not just a misfire on one or two plugs.

13. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Again systematically check for the basic things = fuel and spark and then go from there.[/QUOTE]

Mr 48 Chevy covers it well. What I think of though, is In 56 years has anything been improved with the primary wiring?

Afterthought, if you find no spark, make up a jumper wire.
    If you get it to run anyway, keep the jump wire in the glove.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

not true...right from the rules 65 and older and says nothing about look alike cars.
    We cover traditional '65 and older American cars only. All other threads will be deleted. We don't cover rat rods, muscle cars, mustangs, or VWs.

15. Thanks guys for the suggestions,...these are all things I thot I'd check .not today tho, too dang hot and humid, sposed to cool off the rest of the week....I'll let ya know what cures the problem.

16. Wrench97

Wrench97

Check for spark 1st
    Check for fuel in the carb 2nd
    Then decide what to do next.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

That sounds exactly like what happened to my 235 when the fibre timing gear went. No warning, no real noise, just that the engine shut off.

18. steeltappet

steeltappet
    from PA

well if it were mine, i'd look at 283's and 327's first and pitch the straight six.
    Just kidding.

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

These cars had issues at the bulk connector at the firewall (backside of fuse box) back in the 80's. It's only 40 years later.

Moriarity likes this.
  20. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Well James Dean had a Porsche so that makes them ok

21. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

I agree. Had that happen to my '27 Roadster that had a 153 Chevy in it. On minute having fun, the next, no fire!

22. OK,...I'm back in business;...turned out the contact on the spring side of the points went MIA,...put another set of points in and it fired rite up, wish everything was this simple to fix.
    thanks for your suggestions.

jimmy six, Torkwrench, cfmvw and 4 others like this.
  23. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Can't be! I was told points will never leave you on the side of the road:p
    Glad you're back in business.

Driver50x, anothercarguy and Budget36 like this.
  24. While you're poking around under the hood, check the distributor shaft for excessive side play.

X-cpe likes this.
  25. ..I did check for slop in the dist,..seems good, I've never seen this happen in all my years running points,...I did replace the condenser first but that didn't fix it, so I pulled the points out for a closer look.

26. ...thot I'd post a pic of my 65...
    DSCN6016.JPG

Oilguy, Tickety Boo, Ford52PU and 5 others like this.
  27. Dennis D

Dennis D

Did you try blowing the missing tip out of the dist. with some compressed air? I would be leery of it causing the advance not to move if it gets in the wrong place. Just a thought.....D

28. ...yes, I did that, but nothing showed up, mite try that again with more air pressure. thanks.

29. Rusty1 if You every have this Problem Again I think YOU should
    Bring it Down to my Neck of the woods with the Title
    and I will take care of it.
    Just saying!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool;

Attached Files:

olscrounger likes this.
  30. 50 Merc,..thanks for the offer
    I did take another look in the dist. and found the missing contact,..so all should be good. DSCN6017.JPG