Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 Ford Delivery back window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by natrlgas49, Jul 27, 2021.

1. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

I have a 39 Ford Standard Sedan Delivery. I need a back window and the weather stripping around the window. Does anyone know if a 39 Standard and a 40 Sedan Delivery are close enough to make the Weather strip fit a 39 Standard. I have the metal trim for the back window, so all I need is a weather seal and a glass, I can get a glass made. No one that sells the 40 and 41 back weather stripping will say if it could be made to work. Has anyone done this or how did they do it. I hope this is the right place to post the question. IMG_0838.JPG

LOU WELLS likes this.
  2. Supposedly 1935-1939 Ford sedan deliveries share the same rear body.

3. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

You are right but I have never found a rear back window seal for a 35-39, what do people use for their rear window seal ?

4. While research and opinions here can yield info, I'd lean a bit on your glass installer for his opinion also.

5. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

You Use A Card Board Template And Measure Gaskets From Stores...Proceed.. FUN IN KIMBERLY 2016 028.JPG

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  6. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

I am the glass installer, I did my front windshield myself, and working on the door glasses also. Thanks Lou I already have a plywood window but will need to trim it to fit what ever gasket I will have to come up with. Your deliveries really look great, hope mine looks that good someday.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  7. 28rpu

28rpu

I've gone through the Steele Rubber catalog before to find a profile that would work. You might try that.

Mark Grabo, nochop and LOU WELLS like this.
  8. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

28rpu that is another good Ideal, that is what I need ideas, Looks like a 40 has a smaller back window than the earlier models, from the ones posted by Lou. Thanks all for the good advice

LOU WELLS and 28rpu like this.
  9. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

Well it has been six months since I asked my question about the back glass on my 39 Delivery. I know people like to know the answer to questions people ask. Well here is my answer. I order a window seal for a 41 Delivery thinking I could somehow use it may be cutting it and using two gaskets, that was futile mistake and a waste of money. Then I used the buy a molding that I could use, bought one from Steele Rubber, that looked like I could use it but that was a futile waste of time it makes for too thick, using the slimest design they have. Next suggestion was my glass man. I called a few glass shops, nope don't want the liability of breaking my glass. Call the guy that worked on my Delivery, he says the guy that did his work got shot and no longer around. Called the place that did my Mustang glass no response. So I did the next best thing I did it my self like I do most everything. Bought some Urethane Glue and glued a high dollar cauking gun, and did it in myself, looks like it worked. So much for finding a professional. IMG_1181 (2).JPG IMG_1184 (2).JPG

10. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

I think the originals were put with the Glass tape, like the front windshield and the side glass, some one let me know If I am wrong, I would like to know for sure how the rear glass on a 39 Delivery is installed. Any one have an original one and can tell?

11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

X2

12. Before I read your update above, I thought about posting "why don't you just glue it in?" Looks like that's the only option.

13. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

I did go trough the Steele Rubber catalog and also called and talked to them but to no avail TKS for the tips

14. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

I should have tried that 6 months and about $150 in Steele Rubber seals, and 41 Delivery Seals that didn't work. Live and learn.

15. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

The completed back window, glued in. Looks to me like it works really well. Thanks for all that had insight and suggestions. IMG_1188.JPG

16. I remember when I replaced the rear glass in my '38 pickup (that I just sold), the gasket was from Bob Drake and had to be cut to length and glue the ends with rubber cement. So gluing it in the way modern windshields are done looks like a good solution.

17. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

TKS 38fordpickup I was trying to show no matter what you have, there is an answer, may not be original but it works.

18. Please post more pics of the whole car, I’d love to see it.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  19. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

Trying to fix my no fuel to the engine. Took out filter and replaced it. IMG_1189.JPG but still no fuel at carb. Fixed it now so If I need to drain tank, it will be much easier. Nice to have worked in oil business and know of all the SS fittings. I guess the Elderbrock pump with only about an hour of run time bit the dirt.

20. SBC in your delivery?
    When I replaced one of those short lived chrome aftermarket pumps, I selected one from GM Performance Parts. It's been in there almost ten years, 40k miles.

21. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

Yes it is a SBC, would like to change it out with a 65 289 laying in the garage floor, but I am getting old and I have already been working on it for 6 years

22. I see Texas plates on your delivery. Where abouts are you in Texas? I'm in south Fort Worth and could lend a hand if you're close by.... but Texas is huge! You could easily be 500 miles away from me but still in Texas.

23. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

Your right, a long ways, Baytown east of Houston. TKS for the offer

Dan Hay likes this.
  24. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

If you liked the back glass you may like the front glass 100_3297.JPG 100_3299.JPG 100_3301.JPG 100_3302.JPG 100_3304.JPG

25. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

Up date on my fuel problem. Need to clean tank. filled it with water to start flushing. Well I have a leak aroung the pickup tube. Some one had taken it off and put Gasket sealer Red RTV on it not a good idea. And put pop rivites on it to hold it on. Bad Idea, pops won't seal. Tried to solder a patch on the tank, did not work. So took the tank out, read that the body had to come off to get the tank out. Not so. Pushed it to one side and pried it out. Now will weld a patch to cover the holes. Will let you know how that comes out.

pprather likes this.
  26. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

My welding skill must be lacking. Still leaks. Tried to Braze. Not successful. A mechanic friend of mine told me not to try and patch it, he said it would not work or not last for long, guess he knew what he talked about.

27. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

Up date after 50 years it has come to life. Not finished yet, but driving and stopping on its own power. I fixed the back window, front windows, fix leaking gas tank, and all the other problems. IMG_1207.JPG IMG_1205.JPG

bowie, RMR&C, 40LUV and 2 others like this.
  28. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

The day I drug it home IMG_2961.JPG

bowie likes this.
  29. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

+Here it is alive and running and stopping, lots of work, don't think I would have ever done it if I knew how much work it was. Still a lot to do but enough for now. First car show it was ever in, been 50+ years since it ran up and down the road on its own power. IMG_2127-vi.jpg

30. patsurf

patsurf

worth waiting for -for sure!