Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1954 Corvette V8 Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trent R., Jul 27, 2021.

1. Trent R.

Trent R.

Hopefully someone can help, we are trying to swap a 265 or 283 into a 1954 corvette. Is there a bolt on motor mount for this swap? Are the V8 conversion mounts the same for a 1954 Chevy bel air as for the corvette?

Thanks,
    TR

2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I could be wrong but I believe the chassis is the same as a 55 corvette and therefore 55 mounts and things should fit. Maybe someone else has more info on this.

Pat

3. Your car uses the same frame as the 49-54 Chevy passenger cars. The center was modified on these. Front suspension is the same. Same parts will work.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  4. Why are you Putting a Different engine in the Corvette The Car is A Classic
    Just Asking.??

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

JimSibley likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

dang hot rodders!

WC145, ffr1222k, RICH B and 20 others like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

If the full size car frame is the same Murray custom rods in Dallas makes some very nice bolt in mounts

7. It is the same up until 62

VANDENPLAS and Tim like this.
  8. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

man, either my frame is a lot smaller than I think or the 54 vette is larger. I would have bet the frame was smaller. Good to know

9. These sedans are not much bigger than a modern Accord or Camry, in fact, they also weigh about the same. A 54 Vette weighs 2886#. A 54 Sedan is 3200#. A Honda is 3000-3400#

Turbo26T likes this.
  10. BJR

BJR

Just buy a reproduction front engine mount for a 55 Vette V8. They bolt between the water pump and the block, and use rubber biscuits on each side.

theHIGHLANDER, SS327, 4ever18 and 2 others like this.
  11. jimdillon

jimdillon

The standard front engine mount will work fine. The only problem you may have is that there was not the dimple in the frame for clearance of the mechanical fuel pump on the early six cylinder cars. You either have to adapt the early frame for the fuel pump or go with an electric pump. I believe they changed the frame for ease of removing and installing the fuel pump for the V8 for the 1955 model year.

12. catdad49

catdad49

Dang, kids can’ t leave anything alone! BJR has your answer.

Mark Grabo and Hamtown Al like this.
  13. The Vette is 13" shorter in the middle of the frame. This area was modified.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. KenC

KenC

You've got good answers on 'howto'. But, I'm gonna offer an observation. I'd leave it stock as a classic, but if a swap is the way you want to go, why settle for a little more HP, when a 350 or 400 fits just as easily and makes LOTS more power. JMHO

seadog likes this.
  15. Trent R.

Trent R.

So let me get this straight, a 1954 Chevy passenger car V8 conversion mount will fit in the corvette, but we will have to run an electric pump to avoid notching the frame. To clarify, my grandpa restored this corvette after it went through a flood. We have tried everything to get the 6 cylinder running better. The car runs way too rich with 3 carbs no matter how much you lean them out. My grandpa had a 55 corvette in the early 60s with a 265, so we will install an engine to replicate that. Of course we will keep the original 6. Here a picture of our last outing in the 54.

Thanks,
    TR

Attached Files:

16. jimdillon

jimdillon

Not sure how some of the V8 conversions will work with the stock steering box. If you were to replicate what the Corvette did with the 1955 Corvette V8 I believe it would work well. The front frame mount I run across at swap meets but the towers that it attach to are a bit harder to find. The motor mounts you have on the six cylinder is a bit different, I believe.

Here is the saddle mount you would need.
    E12881.JPG
    Then here are the pieces that bolt to the frame on the 56-62 Corvettes.
    s-l640.jpg

17. Dennis D

Dennis D

In one of the old Corvette books I read they made a statement about the frame on the Corvette was unique to the car and "the car would never be cheap to build". If I could remember the book, I would get the exact quote from it. I believe the statement was from Zora Duntov. D

18. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I think you need to sell it to me and i will properly rebuild the motor, carbs, ignition and powerglide and save the classic.

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

So the carbs are messed up and you want to change the whole engine? Why not just have Carbking rebuild the carbs?

WC145, kevinrevin, Cosmo49 and 3 others like this.
  20. Trent R.

Trent R.

We have this thing about driving our cars, there is a reason they offered the V8 in 55, the 6 was slow and ran terrible. If Duntov was still alive he’s back me up on that. My grandpa who owns the car is 80 years old, it needs to be reliable, he’s tired of having to push it around. That’s coming from a guy that loves the 6 cylinder Chevy.

I appreciate all the help,
    TR

Paul B, wandi harry, WC145 and 4 others like this.
  21. v8flat44

v8flat44

I have to jump in here. I drove a 54 Vette in 1962 & that 6 is the sweetest sounding thing & capable of some H P. I can see a 4 speed in there replacing the "Glide"....but man keep that wonderful Tripple carb SIX.

22. BJR

BJR

I restored a 55 V8 at work and drove it around testing it. Ha Ha. The 265 moves that fiberglass body around great.:D

23. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Better go bigger than a 265 or 283 then. If you could find a Chev truck 261 six and give it a cam, some compression and the Vette carbs and exhaust it would easily out perform the stock 265 or 283 at least up to 50 MPH. I live in Canada where we got the 261 in Pontiacs from 1955 to 1962. A stock 261 will out drag a stock 265 or 283 up to 30 MPH then they are even until 50MPH when the V8 starts to pull ahead.

kidcampbell71, VANDENPLAS and Cosmo49 like this.
  24. Trent R.

Trent R.

To clarify, I’m not against keeping the six installed. Maybe someone here can identify the problem, it starts fine when cold, then after getting it on the road and driving fine for about a mile, although smoking black. Then the engine starts to die slowly in drive, then we put it into low and still slowly dies. Until eventually it just quits. Almost like it floods itself out, but the carb mixtures at set a 3/4 turns as I heard was recommended because they run to rich at the factory 1 1/2 turns. Then when we finally get it restarted it won’t run above 1000 rpm with the accelerator floored and linkage working correctly. Then it dies again. The spark plugs were new, new gas, good oil pressure and compression.

Frankly we’re stumped
    TR

25. cavman

cavman

My brother and I both had '54 Corvettes back in the sixties, the things that gave us the most problems was those old dual diaphragm fuel pumps. If it still has one, try a regular pump. He ended up with a homebuilt 4 bbl manifold and kept it for 40 yrs.

26. Sounds like the exhaust is plugged up

jaracer and lostmind like this.
  27. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Check the fuel pressure, possibly the fuel pump internal regulator is sticking, pushing fuel past the needle and seats, sometimes the ethanol fuel does this to machanical fuel pumps.

sunbeam likes this.
  28. TCTND

TCTND

While I'm certainly a V8 fan, I wouldn't do that swap simply because the six isn't running right. Whatever is wrong could certainly be corrected for a lot less money and time than that conversion would cost, then you could use the saved cash for a 5-speed conversion and really enjoy the car. As far as the the frame being unique, it is in that it was shortened. Otherwise it's a standard '53 ish passenger car frame. The corvette retained this through '62 even though the rest of the line got new chassis' in '55.

lippy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

Sometimes you have to just break down and either take the car to someone who knows how to work on a dual carb 6, or have them come to you. I’m way past the point in my life of trying to preserve a classic, heck, I’d giggle to see a blown Hemi in a Dussenberg.
    But if you and your circle of friends can’t get a 235 running right, I’d have to question your ability to put a V8 in in the car.
    Surely it would be worth the effort to find a competent person to at least take a look and run some diagnostics on it.

30. Trent R.

Trent R.

We’ll be sure to check the fuel pump and exhaust before the next run. I appreciate all the help and comments. For the record though we did take the corvette to a competent mechanic who tuned the car to the best of his abilities. The car still ran the same way it does now.

Thanks Again,
    TR