Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Found a rare (I think) piece yesterday 33-34 rpu cowl

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Count Scrapula, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Count Scrapula

Count Scrapula
    from Mid TN

Picked up a pretty rare piece yesterday. An original 33-34 Ford roadster pickup cowl. Given the scarcity I thought it was worth a save. I think it was probably a fire truck item.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Squablow and kiwijeff like this.
  2. I agree, worth saving!! Be really cool if you could find the windshield riser part. Congrats, wish I had found one.

Count Scrapula likes this.
  3. Like Tim said,hope you can find the ever rarer windshield parts,they are completely different from the cars. HRP

4. Count Scrapula

Count Scrapula
    from Mid TN

I don't have any desire to build it. I mostly wanted to save it from certain death as a rat rod. I'll probably just try to get in the right hands. I know someone could use it to resurrect an original body.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Good for you.

6. Spooky

Spooky

Well done, sir!

7. See if you can contact Bruce Burroughs here on the Hamb. I think it's AKA Bruce's Rod Shop. Father and son and they own a '32 rpu.

8. alchemy

alchemy

Yes, that's a firetruck or school bus cowl. The same steel as used on a roadster pickup, but missing a couple holes drilled in the right spots.

The cowl you have is actually the easy part found for an RPU. The rest of it is impossible. o_O

9. 1932, 1933, 1934 Ford Roadster Pickup's & Trucks's.

History of Roadster Pickup & Trucks.
    U.S. Ford Plant Assembly Production #'s.

1932 4 Cylinder 593
    1933 4 Cylinder 202
    1933 8 Cylinder 308
    1934 4 Cylinder 248
    1934 8 Cylinder 99
    ---------------------------------------
    32, 33, 34 Total 1,470

Not all of the 32 Ford Assembly Plants assembled Roadster Pickups & Trucks. The Majority were Assembled at the Edgewater Assembly,NJ. Plant. This was Ford's Export Plant for Oversea's Sales. This was the Cheapest Ford Commerical Pickup. The Declining Sales caused it to be later Dropped in 1935. This had nothing to due with the Ute Com mercial Trucks made in Australia. The Commerical Roadster had various Body Styles, a Drive away with just the Cowl Pickup or Commerical Big Truck Wheel Base. These could be for Fire Trucks, Dump Trucks, School Busses, Armor Trucks, RailRoad Hacks, Furniture Vans, Ice Cream Pickups, Ice Trucks, etc... I've Probably missed a Few Examples. If You get into the Publication of Ford Life Magazine issue Year #4 Vol. #3. There's about 12 Pages that cover 1928-1934 Ford Roadster Commerical Information. There was a Guy in Calif. That Reproduced the Metal Top Bows, & someone made the Wood Top Bows. The Windshield Frame is a Standard 1930-1931 Model A Roadster Pickup. 'Beware' The 1930-1931 Deluxe Roadster Pickup is different & Wont Fix the Later 1932-1933-1934 Ford Roadster Pickup Cowl. The Roadster Pickup Door Wood was Available From 'Brad Brown's Wood Shop' of Washington State. I purchase New Wood from Him. Excellent Workmanship & Priced Very Reasonable! I'm a Very Satisfied Customer, I've NO personal business connections. I'm just happy to have been able to acquire a Professional Door Wood at an Affordable Price. I had Wanted a 193-34 Ford RPU, since I was 16 Years old back in 1972. When I saw a Family (Fisher) Friends of Brashear, Tx. 1929 Chevy Roadster Pickup the Family Purchased at the Chevrolet Dealership in Bonhman, Tx. in Oct. 1929. Just after the Stock Market Crashed. It had Baby Blue hand Rubbed Lacquer Paint, Black Fenders. All 1929 Chevy Roadster Pickup's were that Color. Denver Fisher Traded that RPU for a New 1980 Scottsdale Chevy Pickup in Commerce, Tx. Chevrolet Dealership. The Next time I saw this Chevy RPU was at the Old Pate Swap Meet in Cresson, Tx. Same RPU. I waited 6 Hours Left Several Paper messages on Windshield. I found one Guy pulling the note of the Windshield. I ask him if he's the Owner? He said No! I said then why are you taking the Note of the RPU. He didn't & Wouldn't give me answer! I reasoned that he wanted the Chevy RPU for Himself. I'd, waited till, Dark & Nobody showed up. Next, day it was Gone. Nobody ever called! Next time, I saw it was at the Fort Worth, Amon Carter Autotorium Car Show. As, it was on Display, in Original Like New Condition, As back in 1972 & 1985. I told him about its History, Family (Fisher), etc... I saw an Ad in Hemings Motor of a 1932 Ford Roadster Cowl, from Around Cario, I'll. In 2009. I purchase that 1St. Item, an in 15 Months, I was able to find 95% of all the Body, Frame, Chassis, Running Gear, various Different Engines , Transmission, Ford Rear send Combinations, Wheels, etc... I was Very Lucky that I found a Individual that was Building a GNRS 1932 Ford Painted 'GOLD' that wasn't going to use some of the Stock 1932 Ford RPU Parts. Ex. Stock 32 RPU Dash, Stock Metal Bows, Wood Bows, Stock Pickup Bed, Stock 32 Ford Front End W/Chrome Dagol 32 Drop Axle, Lincoln Endix Front Brakes, Stock 32 Ford Rear End, New W Lockheed Brakes. I was able to find a Guy in New York thru a Nickel Paper Gazette. That was Selling his New Repo 32 Ford Sheet Metal, Front Grill, insert, 25- Louvered Hood, Front Steel Fenders, New Running Boards, New 32 Chevy Walker Radiator, a Bunch of Small items. These all totaled $3,200. I got it for $1,350. With the Frieght Shipping. He was wanting a 32 Ford Pickup & was awaiting at that time for someone to build a Repo 32-34 Ford Pickup Cab (2009). So, he found a Running & Driving 31 Pickup W/32 Grill Shell. So, that's why & How I was able to get a good Deal. I hope that this helps anyone to get a perspective, on looking at Information, Networking, Collecting, Trading & Value to Ford's 1932-1934 Ford Roadster Pickups. As, I want these 32-34 Ford Roadster Pickups to be Saved, Restored/Hot Rodded, & Enjoyed by all. Best Regards Respectfully BigDTexasKid
    (903) 952-1933. I'm will to help, as to
    Any Help for information about RPU's.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    oldtymehiboy, KKrod and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. chev34ute

chev34ute

I have been trying to find info on mine and I found this thread. I picked up mine about six weeks ago. I saw it advertised on the "Aussie Hambers" Facebook group. The seller only wanted $650 for it so I contacted him and a deal was made. I got it to match an original 32 Hood top that I scored last year for $50. I will be picking up a stock style repro firewall and repro hood sides at the end of next week. Its funny how a chance buy for one thing, "the hood top" lead me to finding the cowl. Before I know it, I will have the makings of full Roadster Pickup. As rare is the open cabs are, there is a guy in my old home town down the hill with a genuine 34 Roadster Pickup, the only one in the country as far as I know. What are the odds of two being right next to each other ?
    DSC00610.JPG

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Squablow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. JJK

JJK

Will 32 roadster doors fit a 33/34 cowl ?

12. No, you would need 32-34 RPU doors. A roadster (car) is totally different

Carter likes this.
  13. JJK

JJK

Thank you Chris !!!

14. Magfiend

Magfiend

I think Walden makes repro '32-'34 RPU panels, possibly on an as-ordered basis...

15. Cool.
    Nickel ninety five?
    Cash