Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***July 2021 Banger Meet Thread - Happy 4 Cylinders!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jul 1, 2021.

1. 97

Yes I found a report on the web about the streamliner at Speedway, they sort of suggest that the motor is still in the streamliner now!
    I also saw the stories about the V12s for Hydroplanes, and other innovative stuff. I thought he was still running bangers at Bonneville...Those vintage rules are quite restrictive in themselves for new innovation, but the open classes are still good . It doesn't have to be run in a vintage class for the Banger guys to recognise that a car has an engine based on a Model A or a flathead V8.

2. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

There's some pretty good videos of Pendine over on Nutrocker's blown banger thread.
    @hotrodfil -the old T coupe sounded good! Do you know what engine the CCPU #392 was running? That was a hot 4-banger.

3. Cheers - it does sound quite good doesn't it? Reckon I could have fitted my close ratio box.
    #392 is running a Pinto I think.

Jet96 likes this.
  4. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Insert Bearings or Re-poured Babbitt Bearings?

My A block has a toasted rear main babbitt... I have the option to get the block re babbitted or spend a bit more money and buy a model B full pressure oil with insert bearings out of a running touring car....

Really leaning to the B block but I wanted to ask the banger gods here....

COUPE 42.jpg

5. brjnelson

brjnelson

I am running an A block with insert main bearings with the stock A oil system, and babbit rod bearings.
    It has been running for 18+ years, and hill climb racing every year too.
    But, go for the B if you got the money.

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  6. Yup, that babbitt is done. The crank was really beating around in there.
    Depending on your intended usage, you might consider one of the Terry Burtz motor packages.
    How much does the touring motor look to cost you?

IMHO, the "B" motor over the "A"

J

Old Dawg likes this.
  7. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I had thought about the new motor route... The 5 main block would handle anything I wanted to throw at it... But its a bit steep, I can get the B motor for substantially less than that with 500 miles on it.... Almost a no brainer I think... I have a lead on a fresh rebuilt A motor locally also but I dont know who built it etc, so its a gamble, the B motor I know who built it, or spend the 500 bucks and get the mains re babbitted on this block of mine, the rods seem fine but Its another gamble also, its a cheaper gamble but still I know the motor runs, and ran well other than babbitt and oil leak. I like the idea or retaining the motor I had in there, it matches title, and the vintage repair on the block is a cool conversation. Just the B motor is a big bump in performance right away... 2k more than re-babbitting my block its hard to pass up.

Just hard to put a motor to pasture after reviving it from a long slumber...

Jet96 likes this.
  8. G_Don

G_Don

At a low price for a still pretty fresh motor, I would go with the B if I were you. I'm not nearly experienced as the guys on here but everything I've read, and talked to guys about is that the B is the hot setup.

9. If you go "touring" you're going to want to go over 55 mph, thus you'll be running over 2500 rpm for long periods. I'd go for a full pressure B block. Oil is a coolant as well as a lubricant! It's going run farther, faster and cooler! And be more reliable.

10. callcoy

callcoy

I really don't know if the record setting engine is in the museum, no bangers at the lakes, new car a lakester had been running the 3 Liter, got his records. I am motoring across America right now will not see him till a week from this Sunday. Now I am curious I will find out and let you know, I haven't seen this V-12 yet.
    Steve

11. Steve
    Pretty sure Pete ran 3 valve dohc v4 last November
    Bumped record to 180+ in lakester
    John

12. With our first baby being born on the 23rd, I havent had too much time to tinker on the engine.

Waiting on a few more parts for mockup, then pulling it apart and giving it a cleaner paint job. I cannot WAIT to hear this thing run!! Petes speed shop of AU has graciously sent me a bronze intake manifold and throttle arm, so I am excited to get that mounted!! Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 1.35.51 PM.png

13. Jiminy

Jiminy

14. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I have done a few of these using the volvo m-40 transmission. Need to use the AA bell housing. I run and open drive as it would be a lot of work to convert to a torque tube set up. These transmissions work really well 4 sp with syncros and cruises around 2500 rpm with ease.
    IMG_4192.jpg

curbdogs, tomkelly88, GuyW and 2 others like this.
  15. railcarmover

railcarmover

thumbnail - 2021-08-02T063334.382.jpg

Sitting on my ass,looking at the junk..wondering why dont I get into something easy,like knitting..

Jet96 and trikejunkie like this.
  16. joemac05

joemac05

Sitting on my ass,looking at the junk..wondering why dont I get into something easy,like knitting.

Yea... good luck with that... ;)

17. railcarmover

railcarmover

Like a fool I stuck that needle in my arm..been a hopeless addict ever since..

Dustyp489 likes this.
  18. curbdogs

curbdogs

What all do you need to swap out the original in a 1928 model a Tudor

19. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@burl

20. 97

There are a couple of threads on HAMB about this conversion, I believe they are far easier to find in Europe than the USA. Most USA conversions are done with T5 .