Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 41 banjo in Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by novaskilling, Jul 23, 2021.

1. novaskilling

novaskilling

I’m building a traditional hot rod and have the opportunity to pick up a 41 banjo rear complete with torque tube and rods. My question is, is anyone using one of these converted to open drive and still using the factory radius rods as trailing arms?

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

Why not keep the torque tube if you want it traditional?

alchemy likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

"Traditional hot rod" and "converted to open drive" don't usually go together.

Maybe if you are building a traditional-ish hot rod.

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  4. novaskilling

novaskilling

Still learning as I go here, but wanting to run a Y block and corresponding transmission that was open drive. Wasn’t sure what my options are to convert the trans to torque tube or what transmissions will go behind the y block that were originally torque tube.

5. alchemy

alchemy

If your engine is from the 50's, there's no reason to not use a rearend from the 50's too. Don't you think a hotrodder back then might have robbed the whole shebang from a single car? Find a nice early 9" from a '57 Ford and it will be perfect in your A. Probably lots cheaper and easier to rebuild too.

Johnny Nitro and alanp561 like this.
  6. butch27

butch27

Use a 1946 or 1947 Ford pick up rear end---- they ARE open drive,,,,,

7. novaskilling

novaskilling

Going that route what would be the best suspension setup if wanting to stay with the original style over axle leaf?

8. alchemy

alchemy

Search the old threads of @Chris for making spring hangers from the original A axle housings. If you need to use a banjo rear, his mounts will make if easy to put a later banjo into an A.

9. It's wide. The '41radius rods are not suitable to use as trailing arms alone (to do the work of the torque tube.)

10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER