Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Magazine Cars

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Flatrod17, Jul 18, 2021.

1. I drive mine all the time.
    48CDD88A-972C-4EEE-B9C7-0DFB60004A24.jpeg

2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Flatrod17;
    Any details n pics on the 4banger?
    Marcus...

The37Kid likes this.
  3. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

4. loudbang likes this.
  5. TCTND

TCTND

T5 is pretty compact and that extra gear is really nice.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like that plan The small block and headers will probably bring enough cash to move the project along too. Put some vent grills where the headers came out and do what ever you want with the scoop.

Then I flip the page and there is that cool little banger that look like it came out of a midget racer. Sweet.

7. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Oooooohhhh, NICE ! That banger is going to be *very* fun, & I like that you'll not see many others.
    Marcus...

8. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Think of all the magazine cars of the 80's with easter egg paint and tweed interiors, should they be maintained as is?

9. If it was worthy of magazine coverage, it was likely driveable. In 30 years of driving some components should have worn out and need to be replaced or improved. Make a picture album of what you have and then have at it making it your own. I don’t expect to ever be the caretaker of a show car, but expect enjoy some drivers before my time is up. That driver gives joy every time you turn the key.

10. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

The car has 15,000 miles on it and I'll bet only maybe 3 or 4oo of them are in Alaska. With that mileage I figured it must be a pretty well built car. Started taking it apart, looks like it was a feature car at the 1990 Turkey Trot. turkey trot.jpg

Okie Pete likes this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great start, hope you plan a HAMB Build thread.

Bob

12. Restore it back close its 1961 form and make changes that would have worked in 1963.

255597_244206858926409_182392_n.jpg

82359778_3845659122114480_2936590601950330880_o.jpg

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That is a great looking car, nice dental work.

Bob

14. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

why is it i keep thinking about the "kookie car"?

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

The restoration was flawless, the smiles on the owners were unforgettable after winning the Pebble Beach Hot Rod Magazine Cover Car class 2019.

1A9A1572.jpg

Bob

16. MitFab

MitFab
    from Austin, TX

That is freaking cool. Congrats on making it into multiple magazines. My bucket list is making it into one.....

loudbang likes this.
  17. roddering

roddering
    from Arizona

It's great to have a "Magazine Car". Take some pictures with you and the car, and the magazine.
    Then... do what you want with it. It's yours. Drive it, store it, show it, modify it! It's all good.

Big mike 1968 and loudbang like this.
  18. roddering

roddering
    from Arizona

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  19. May 1953 Hop Up cover car photo - Ray Vega 38 Ford tub
    [​IMG]

20. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

There was a thread a few years back called "The Ettiquite of the Survivor". Oddly, the car that was the subject of the blog post, the "Silver Cloud" 1960 Edsel, recently popped up for sale again on FB Marketplace. Which surprises me because I think the car is awesome and would have been quickly scooped up.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/etiquette-of-the-survivor.1054590/

I have the same thoughts now that I had then. Tens of thousands of cars over the years have been featured or pictured in magazines, damn near 70 years worth of them. Just because a car has been pictured or even featured in a magazine does not elevate it to iconic status. Those cars that are truly landmark builds, had extensive coverage or promotion on the show circuit, or are intrinsically tied to the giants or forefathers of the hobby should be preserved or restored back to their original customized condition. But these cars are the extreme minority, and the overwhelming majority of vehicles, IMHO, are fodder for the whims and desires of their current owner. That includes both period builds and more modern builds just the same.

loudbang likes this.
  21. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Mine was built by Dean Jeffries and Striped by Von Dutch and was in Car Craft in 1957. I finally got it running after a 50 year slumber. If I ever get the time or the money I'll restore it to the way it was. For now I'll drive it the way it is. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. Steadfast mfg

Steadfast mfg

Drive them, and do burn outs with them!!!

Also, do we know when Norms (@Bigbangtheory) BAN will be over???
    \ wheelhub.jpg norm.JPG

23. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

I have the same thoughts now that I had then. Tens of thousands of cars over the years have been featured or pictured in magazines, damn near 70 years worth of them. Just because a car has been pictured or even featured in a magazine does not elevate it to iconic status. Those cars that are truly landmark builds, had extensive coverage or promotion on the show circuit, or are intrinsically tied to the giants or forefathers of the hobby should be preserved or restored back to their original customized condition. But these cars are the extreme minority, and the overwhelming majority of vehicles, IMHO, are fodder for the whims and desires of their current owner. That includes both period builds and more modern builds just the same.[/QUOTE]

I feel you said it best, I don't want to call it a nobody's car, because it did manage to get to print, but its a old car and now has been taken apart to be updated to what I want.

24. Terry Slocum

Terry Slocum

I had the same question - what to do with a magazine build? Cars history - 1933 ford coupe, "Street Rod Builder" March 2009,(one of the last issues) John Dianna - Commissioned, N&N fiberglass did the build, Smeding 383, TCI, M&M interior. Nice car, pretty much original. Thinking of changing the induction system (blower), But not sure if that is the right thing to do?

25. Kind of an oxymoron when talking about a fiberglass car, repro/aftermarket everything. :confused:

Terry Slocum likes this.
  26. Terry Slocum

Terry Slocum

I got ya. Wish it was a steel car - but hard to find. Sorry if I jumped in on someone else's post. Haven't figured this sight out yet. Seams most say make it your own (my first thoughts) I am good with that - hesitated after I learned who was behind the build, sense he is no longer with us, I guess he won't mind.

27. My car was on the cover of a VERY popular car magazine. My wife was the one that noticed. Once she pointed it out, I fired up the car and ... backed up, picked the magazine up off the floor and put it back on the work bench where it belonged. I have since changed the oil. I don't think the car has lost or gained any of value :)

28. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

I think 57Joe said it best, if not a famous car, go ahead and change it. I am changing mine.

Terry Slocum likes this.
  29. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

Its your ca.r Do what you want with it, Why do you need someones approval for your car. Magazine or not, If you just want to look at it; take a picture, hang it in your garage and sell the car, if you are not going to get it out and drive it. Cars were made to drive, drive them to let other people enjoy them also. Only my opinion.

30. cabong

cabong

There is something special about being able to transport ones self back to a happier time, if only for a minute, or an hour. I am a child of the 50's (if 77 is considered a child) and every time I stepped into the R&C Dream Truck, it was just that. Everything current seemed to get pushed into the background. I'm not a car show person, so never showed the Truck in competition. I simply wanted those other old kids to share in my dream. I went to a "cruize" at the Orange County Fairgrounds and parked the Truck as far away as I could from where my friends and I were busy making Margueritas in a blender powered by a chain saw motor (Dale Velzy was the Man).... I left the keys in it, and put a note on the dash that simply said "Go ahead and take it, but don't forget where you found it"....Every few minutes we would see the bugger cruize by, with people crammed in to the hilt. Dale would look at me and ask who had my truck. I don't know was always the response. People for years said I was that crazy guy. Yep, but I gave lots of people a great memory...

After I restored Ak Miller's El Caballo, I raced it, with Ak and Ray Brock, in Mexico. Then I Vintage raced it for the next ten years. I enjoyed it to the max, and again, every racing moment was a race in the past. And it was a chance for many old kids to once again, see a piece of history.

And guess my point is, if you have a "famous" car it's just that. As Steve Earl of HMSA once said "You are driving a famous car, and you will be famous too, if you screw up"...... It's all about the car!!!!

Hamtown Al, Rolleiflex, rod1 and 5 others like this.