Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects NOT THE TYPICAL '30 ROADSTER BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Jan 1, 2019.

1. It feels great to be back working on the roadster. Since the reopening, after the COVID shut down, my free time has been reduced to very little or almost none and the family has been taking most of the little free time I have....no more just working from home :) Real life is back and busier.

Progress has been slow but it hasn't stopped....just quietly moving along
    Have been doing a lot of homework/video watching/practice/learning how to sew. I am now the proud owner of a Consew 206RB sewing machine :)
    I am learning how to set it up, run straight lines, running multiple layers of material...and without giving out a spoil alert...I put together my first rear side curtain panel...More to come at a later time.
    Yes, I will be doing my own upholstery too...
    thumbnail_IMG_7497.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7496.jpg

Fast forward to today...

Today, I got the last of the welding done by filling in the column cut-out...Yay!
    Learning to weld has been, by far, my favorite part of this whole journey. I am far from being good at it but I am much better than when all this started.
    thumbnail_IMG_7481.jpg

You know that feeling when the light bulb goes off in your head and you say, "I got it!" Well, that's what bodywork feels like to me now. I finally understand how to apply body filler and level off my high and lows. No expert yet, but more confident for sure. I even did a little bit more hammer and dolly to the rear quarter panel and I actually saw an improvement to it.
    A lot of respect for body guys out there....this is one tedious task!
    I am learning a total new level of patience and can understand how the cost of bodywork can be so high.
    thumbnail_IMG_7494.jpg

With summer here, days are getting longer. Still plenty of light at 7-8pm. I just might be able to squeeze some work hours at the end of the day.
    thumbnail_IMG_7495.jpg
    Most of the body is done and ready for primer. Got to get the loose parts ready and it should be ready to shoot 2k.

2. block sanding, more sanding, repeat....getting closer to 2k but not ready yet.
    Dash, dash rail, panel below the deck lid, light buckets and grill surround all ready

thumbnail_IMG_7512.jpg

Working on the hood tops...louvers...if I don't have arthritis now I will have it by the end of this project
    thumbnail_IMG_7511.jpg

oliver westlund, Stogy, Tim and 4 others like this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

every louver is actually torn at the ends, filing and sanding every one then sanding with every coat of paint is a bear...
    looks to be worth it on this baby !

oliver westlund, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  4. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Anybody know how the early car louvers were finished by Ford, GM, and the rest? A crew of sanders, or did they have a system that was lost to time?

5. I sure can relate to @ 33Doll's statement...with this build I have learn to have a lot more patience than I used to have... :)

Stogy, loudbang and brEad like this.
  6. patman

patman

Easy…they just sprayed the paint on, called it done…and the finished product wasn’t perfect.

7. ...Yes, I am still preparing the body for primer....still sanding...sloooow process or maybe just a slow sander. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
    Got me these goodies from Wilson Welding, to keep me motivated :)
    Scoops for the front Lincoln backing plates.

thumbnail_IMG_7519.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7520.jpg

Always wanted me a set of these. Nice quality!

8. 132 louvers later....the end is in sight
    Still have a few areas that I want to improve.
    thumbnail_IMG_7523.jpg

Details...details....
    Want to make sure all body lines are nice and crisp. Tape on the other side of line when blocking helps get a better defintion of the line
    thumbnail_IMG_7521.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7522.jpg

Door sills are now nice, straight and smooth...and the sun is setting so time to call it a day.
    thumbnail_IMG_7524.jpg

9. Spent sometime working on the passenger door, blocking and sanding.
    A member of the FordBarn was very kind and sent me a tool he made to straighten the metal channel at the bottom of the door.
    A couple of passes with it and the channel was ready for the weatherstripping.

thumbnail_IMG_7533.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7534.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7535.jpg

oliver westlund, Stogy, brEad and 3 others like this.
  10. My version of rivets. Hex head stainless steel bolts, primed and filled with filler.
    thumbnail_IMG_7538.jpg

11. The last of the prep work before the first of the 2k primer....FINALLY!
    thumbnail_IMG_7541.jpg
    These wheel wells kicked my ass! So happy to finally see them straight.

thumbnail_IMG_7542.jpg
    The last of the 2 "rivets"...Goal is to make it look as stock as possible
    Most people won't pay attention to those and they don't serve any purpose now, since the braces were welded but I think they still look cool to have.

Now ready for the next stage. Very confident that it will come out nice and straight.

12. Looks good. Can’t wait to see it all one color even if it’s primer.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  13. Rand Man

Rand Man

Like your lots of details. Great thread. Keep up the good work.

14. Tomorrow is the day! I will start spraying the 2k primer.
    Unfortunately/Fortunately, real work got on the way today and was not able to get to it. Which turned out to be good thing, because I found out that the last time I used my 2k spray gun I didn't cleaned it properly and, oh well, it is trashed.
    I guess I didn't realized how hard and thick that primer cures.

I took a trip to HF, bought me another purple gun, drill the tip with 5/64" bit and I am back in business and ready to do my first batch sometime tomorrow.

On another note, I decided to buy the firewall insulator from AcoustiShield.
    After reading some good reviews and looking at some photos of their product, I ordered one without the holes, since I closed most of the holes on the firewall.
    I like the heat shield feature and the "chicken track" texture they use on their product...Going for that "stock" look again
    Customer service was great and hopefully I should get it in 3-4 weeks.

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 8.07.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 8.28.45 PM.png

15. Let there be primer!
    Super stocked...My pops came over and has become the official painter...he sprayed the primer, again, this time around.
    Got all the smaller pieces done today.
    Tomorrow, the plan is to do the longer pieces and rear deck and Thursday I should get the body and hood done.
    On the weekend...well, back to blocking.

First impression, paint gun is laying down the material super nice and panels are looking nice and straight.
    thumbnail_IMG_7545.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7546.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7547.jpg

16. Weather was weird today, here in LA. Hot, gloomy, cold, windy, cloudy and hot again.
    Round 2...finished all the long pieces, hood and rear deck....

thumbnail_IMG_7548.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7549.jpg
    This Southern Polyurethanes 2k primer is really nice to use. It shoots really nice with the modified purple HF gun.
    It lays down smooth with good heavy coverage.
    Don't know how it stacks against other products, since this is my first real paint job, but I find it user friendly for first timers.
    I glad I chose to go with SPI products. So far, so good!

Tomorrow, I should get the body done.

17. Round 3...the body is back to one solid color.
    Very happy with outcome. It still needs some more work to get it to where I want it.
    The rear wheel wells are much better but still need a little bit more work and a few other spots....back to the lab!
    thumbnail_IMG_7550.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7551.jpg

18. Well, she didn't last too long as a solid color.
    Blocking down the 2k, fixing any low spots and fine tuning those body/belt lines...deja vu!

thumbnail_IMG_7591.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7593.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7592.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7595.png

19. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Looking good. That's what it takes to get a really nice finish. Keep it up.:)

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good!

21. Great build thread!
    I went back and read it from page one.
    It brought back a lot of memories of building my old roadster back in the 80’s.
    You’re way more talented than I was.
    Thanks for the flashback memories. Sometimes I wish that I had kept it.

22. Thank you all for the kind words!
    It's been a fun project. I really enjoy going back and seeing the early pictures, the before and after shots. I really look forward to to working on the roadster and keep the progress going.

23. Today, was good day, I finally finished blocking the body and it is almost ready for a second round 2k.
    The top of the passenger rear quarter panel really kicked my ass. It took me several passes of body filler, glazing putty and guide coat to get it to look good.
    It had some stubborn little waves. Too small for body filler but enough for the hand feel them....beyond my bodywork experience or lack of for sure.

thumbnail_IMG_7598.jpg

After several attempts of blocking, filler, guide coat, blocking, repeat...I think I got it right
    She looks and feels straight
    thumbnail_IMG_7599.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7602.jpg

The front of the body was a lot easier. Coming out nice and straight
    All the holes that I filled in the firewall came out nice and smooth...:)
    thumbnail_IMG_7600.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7601.jpg

I think a second round of 2k is all that it will need to be ready for paint. Fingers crossed.

oliver westlund, Stogy, brEad and 6 others like this.
  24. 2k..Second Round!
    Looking nice and straight. Very rewarding to see it come this far.
    thumbnail_IMG_7608.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7607.jpg

oliver westlund, Stogy, brEad and 3 others like this.
  25. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

She's going to be a beauty.

26. Thank you!

27. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

attention to detail... done in spades...
    and by you... excellent !

28. Thank you. That's a great feeling to stand back and see it reach this far. Thx,

Stogy, Pista_510 and loudbang like this.
  29. Blocking of the 2k is coming out really nice a smooth. Even those louvers are looking good. This might be it!!!
    I have a few bare metal spots that I will have to re-spray to cover up but for the most part I think I would be ready for paint after this round of 2k.

thumbnail_IMG_7619.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7620.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7621.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7622.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7623.jpg

30. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

If I may make a suggestion. If you feel that it is ready for paint, do yourself a big favor and a little more work. Give it a good guide coat and finish sand it. Make sure all of the guide coat disappears. A small ding that gets missed now will look like a big screen TV in paint. Much easier to fix before final paint.