Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1963.5-1964 Ford galaxie 500xl

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brodbeckh, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

........living in 360's basement :eek::D

Joe

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. SS327

SS327

Maybe some of you guys need to quit cars and take up knitting. 1963.5 and 1964 Galaxies were Fords best looking body style ever. Don’t spend over $2500.00 for it and less is better. Go for it and learn a lot. I did.

49Olds, rpm56 and Elcohaulic like this.
  3. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go for it .
    I bought my 57 4 door Fairlane 500 out of a pasture 6 years ago . The only place the floors are bad were under the rear seat . A spot about 6” square. The floor pans in the front above the heat shields for the mufflers . It’s been a positive learning experience for me . My Wife and I load up and go in it whenever we get the chance. The more old iron that is on the road the less will be melted down and shipped to China

4. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I agree with you 100%. The 63 and 64 Fords are so nice looking. Some of the best lines to ever grace a car..

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

BEST ADVICE EVER

I love these cars... this is a great Parts car or a very long time fix.... which.. is not a bad thing but unless you just love this era of Galaxies...... I would suggest passing.There is a ton of technical work needed...... the trans, the engine,drive line,etc,etc.
    Not trying to be a downer.... but.... this hobby just aint cheap.
    And please.. this is not a Gasser car(JMO)

6. In 62 years on this earth, I have yet to ask somebody else how I should spend my money.... yep I'm single.

ottoman, WalkerMD, williebill and 2 others like this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

A word of caution, I’ve seen it before. If you are just starting out, a huge project , such as this, may be overwhelming! Rebuilding a car doesn’t happen like it does on those TV shows. A young friend of mine bought a perfect 51 Ford pick up, great pantina. He was going to chop it, he tore it all apart and found out chopping tops wasn’t as easy as it looked on TV. He ended up hauling the truck, in pieces to the scrap yard!

Bones

Elcohaulic and warhorseracing like this.
  8. I wouldn't. If I were you, I'd look around more. A quick 'net search turned up a couple of these in considerably better shape (but still 'projects') for under $10K. A couple of more much nicer ones under $20K, not all projects either. Not all are the desirable XL cars, but if you could get the one you're looking at for under $2K you could part it and use it to convert the better one at your leisure. The better the car you start with, the cheaper the finished car will usually end up. It's all too easy to have $4-5K in trim restore/replacement alone on these.

warhorseracing likes this.
  9. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Don't buy that Ford!

It is way too much for somebody starting out unless you have thousands to pay somebody.
    There around, get a turn key and soup it up like we used to do.. Back in the 60s that car would be $40.00 of scrap..

At the car cruise I know some people who own up words of 100+ cars and they are all nice.. This one guy who owns 136 cars gave me some advice, "never buy a car that needs put together"...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Whenever possible... flash the stack of bills in front of the seller's WIFE.

11. I lucked out with my '59, it had close to zero rust. I did find a 3" x 5" spot by the gas pedal that was fiberglassed, it was that hard to find. I had the car down to a bare interior, I was told to look for bad spots high up under the dash by my glass guy.

Living in the north east, most local old cars are quite bad. I looked at a complete '57 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser that was going for $6000. I still don't know what was holding the back window in place. Lots of the metal on the top side was gone including the drop rails. I later heard that the cat sold for $4000, a lot of work for someone unless it was stripped for parts.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

Speed cost money. How fast do you want it to go?
    200+ can be done if your pockets are deep enough.
    Just realize that the mph get exponentially expensive the more you want.

Now back to reality for this rust bucket, $1000 with title, $500 to $750 without. No title means it is a parts car for your project that has a title.

Boneyard51 and flatford39 like this.
  13. flatford39

flatford39

Well with this great advice have you come up with a decision??? NO rush that car will sit for awhile longer.

14. 49Olds

49Olds

Wow, tough crowd. Maybe I am missing something, but I can’t see anything that is a deal breaker without looking closer. If your goal is to jump in and have an instant hot rod with Toyota reliability, keep walking. If you are willing to get dirty, learn a few things, and save a cool car from returning to the soil, look closer, do your homework, assess your resources, and plan accordingly.

Look up the thread on the HAMB that talks about the guy who took a ‘60 Starliner with a 352 in 1960 got his hands dirty and ran 150+.

Good Luck

rowdyauto likes this.
  15. Correct me if I'm wrong. But 64 Fords , at least the ones I owned had generators. 64 Mercurys were alternator equipped, at least my 64 Park Lane that I got in '68 that was bought new in 64 by my parents.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Brodbeckh

Brodbeckh

what does body:63C color:A trim:80A date:03D DSO:63 axle:1 trans:4 mean also found only a rust spot only a length and width of a butter knife and the vin is 4A68Z168671 if anyone can decode that

17. That thing looks no worse than what roadkill pulled out of the junkyard and drove away....

Z code = 390 4 bbl Super Marauder, the engine in there now looks later, like a later year 390 out of a LTD or something? from all the emissions hoses on the air cleaner.

Main deal killers for me would be 1.no clear title, 2.frame rust 3. no time to work on it.

Otherwise, see what they want $$ for it!

18. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Alternators were optional though, and had a weird connector plug for the wiring.

19. For ME! ....I'd say --if you can get it done ---- that one is highly desirable....

---390 4V
    ---black paint. looks like original paint
    ---4 speed
    --white interior
    ---looks like not much rust....
    ---pretty straight body wise

So what about the replacement engine, you can stroke a 390 to a 445 ...

rowdyauto likes this.
  20. egads

egads

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Cruise-o-Matic- automatic trans.

lothiandon1940 and Joe Travers like this.
  21. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Not sure what you were looking at on the codes - not a 4 speed, it's a Cruise-O-Matic Automatic

22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I thought it was automatic! The four speed and car bell housing are worth $1000!

Bones

23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It is a Automatic.

It's not a 4 speed.

"ThisOneGoesTo11" made a mistake.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yeah, I thought it looked like an automatic in the original picture. But I could see it real good.

Bones

25. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Look up the parts that are available and NOT available for it how much they cost to purchase and install. Then you need to fabricate the rest or pay.
    Me I see a $100k car when it's done that's worth $40k

26. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL
    Raven Black (hood maybe replaced as it looks white underneath.)
    390 Maybe (replaced or it has 1970s bolt on parts....)
    Cruisomatic (probably still there)
    3.25 rear axle 9"
    White Crush vinyl Bucket seats (there but....) I'm sure the frames and springs are good....that's what counts.
    Produced...April 1964
    Made in Atlanta...
    Special order (DSO)....Memphis
    It was a special order to the Memphis Region....Likely this is when AC was added. It could have the build sheet sometimes under the back seat or in the seat springs....

Not much rust?....

Buy the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this was a buried Model A used as road ballast(50 folks would be telling you to "save the car") or a some odd ball like a '41 Studebaker President Coupe that's hard to get parts for 50 more people would be telling you to get it because....it's cool.

It's Ford. You can get most stuff at Oreilleys, Autozone, NAPA, Advance....But I do Like to support the Suppliers like C&G Ford.
    Skill.....Again it's a Ford it. You can learn while you repair the car. Start with rebuilding the stock, yes the stock brakes....everything is available.
    Remember, it don't eat much. As long as you have a place to keep it, you can work at your own pace. It's not really the money. It's the labor.
    make it roll
    make it stop
    make it go
    make it light
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^^^^
    If this is not a HAMB entry level project.....what the hell is?
    p.s.....
    That car has not been outside ...that long. Maybe a few years, look close it's in too good a shape to be in the grass 20 years. That car has been fairly well kept to have most of the paint all the glass and just about all the trim.....

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  27. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

I would buy it if I was a young man with some extra dough and it had a BW T-10. I know where this '63 1/2 4-speed car is residing in a little better condition but I'm not a young man and I already own a '63 1/2 4-speed Merc. :)
    [​IMG]

Joe

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  28. egads

egads

29. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In addition to C&G there is Concours in Carson City, NV. Good folks to deal with. IMO

F-ONE likes this.