Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Belly Tank Build, NZ.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26 T Ford RPU, May 3, 2021.

1. Even at towing speeds on the salt WITH suspension the ride is extremely rough. It is very similar to a hardtail bike. Steering Tims roadster back to the pits, which usually takes 20 minutes, is about the max seat time a person could stand. Fairly uncomfortable.

Stogy, 26 T Ford RPU and loudbang like this.
  2. I am looking forward to that discomfort very much.:cool::cool: JW

kiwijeff, deadbeat, rpm56 and 5 others like this.
  3. Had a couple spare hours so i made the longitudinal (6 of) bits in the drivers area. More soon. JW
    [​IMG]

4. Maybe I read it and forgot but have you been talking to the Special Construction chairperson for input?

5. No not at this stage but i am using the rule book i got in 2019. There is more frame work in this than their diagrams show and the tube i am using is what they recommend. JW

deadbeat, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. I took this pic for reference at Speed Week 2019. A lot of good info right there. JW
    [​IMG]

deadbeat, 48fordnut, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  7. 47streetrodder

47streetrodder

Following along as you build this belly tank is really interesting. Never did understand how these were constructed. I'll be watching for your updates.

loudbang, Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  8. Thanks and welcome. Back in the day they weren't made like this or any other new build one as they had very little to no safety features.
    More progress soon. JW

AndersF, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Tman...you and a number of Hambers have seen the Dry Lakes from the Drivers seat...your expertise, experience and the experiences within surely help those such as JW and even us in the stands observing better understand what it's all about...

Hardtail...That's the word I was trying to think of...Hardass was my best shot the other night...:D

That's funny...:p...that aside you did say it'd be pretty like the Ole RP...which Is probably much like my Coupe which I often describe as a horse drawn wagon with an engine in it...:D

Tman, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  10. Stogy, you said it well about Tman's input, it is very welcome and a privilege to have him and others looking over proceedings......thank you!!:cool::D:D JW

kiwijeff, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  11. I just enjoy watching folks build LSR cars! Too bad you can't be at Speedweek. We almost cancelled after losing the car we were to help on. Got a call from a pal last night out of the blue asking if I was going because they needed crew members. Even have accomodations for us!

12. I would love to be there again but can't leave NZ, gives me more $ to spend on getting it done. I'am sure we would have seen each other at the Nugget 2019 but the issue is i don't know what folks look like. JW

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. I stayed away in 19. was busy getting divorced.

14. rpm56

rpm56

Cool build, just read it. What are the specs of the tubing you're using for the frame/cage?

Stogy, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  15. Just over 1 5/8''outside with a 1/8'' wall and mild steel, and in metric, 42 mm outside with 3.2 mm wall. JW

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    rpm56, AndersF, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  16. After a week of freezing nights and cold days i got myself into the workshop and finally placed the gear box in position. I was wanting to use the original g-box mounting plate but it hangs to low with the mounts, i will have to make something that allows the mount to be higher... no problem and this gives me something to make at work. Once i have the mounts mocked up i will ad the motor. JW
    [​IMG]

j hansen, Stogy, brEad and 2 others like this.
  17. The drive shaft without a shaft:rolleyes: JW
    [​IMG]

18. loudbang

loudbang

Don't worry someday someone will "Give you the shaft" :rolleyes:

19. Yip !! JW

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  20. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Never thought I'd say this about a driveshaft but "that is one cute driveshaft"
    Lots of progress!:cool: what thickness steel did you use for the steering arm? just incase I go that route with mine.

Stogy, 26 T Ford RPU and loudbang like this.
  21. All three arms are 20 mm thick. The guy that makes them is a Hot Rodder that has an engineering business that makes lots of brackets and kits as well as these steering arms. He can change the CAD to make special orders. He also made the front spring.
    To finish them i will radius all the edges. JW

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Stogy and loudbang like this.
  22. This is the top arm on my RPU (the tie rod end has been changed) that shows the modification that was made in the CAD to allow for the grease zerk and also shows the radius to the edges JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  23. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

That looks good and stout, will have to make one similar on the mill if my current plan doesnt work.

Stogy, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  24. Got the discs machined off the new Falcon units to leave nice clean hubs, i'm no machinist so thank you John for the great job. Just need to sort the bearing adapters onto the spindles and i can make it into a roller. JW
    [​IMG]

Stogy, deadbeat, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  25. Set myself some goals for today and made the G-box mount. The mount tags on the frame will get gussets when i make them. JW
    [​IMG]

deadbeat, The 39 guy, AndersF and 3 others like this.
  26. And from the other side. JW
    [​IMG]

27. Dusted off the chain block and lifted the motor in. JW
    [​IMG]

deadbeat, brEad, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  28. Motor bolted to the bell housing and all leveled to the frame and diff pinion. I can now figure out how to mount the front. Still not sure of the radiator up front or down the R/H side of the motor. Will need to decide soon as i want to work out the firewall and roll cage position and the all important drivers seat. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    deadbeat, brEad, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  29. The rear view shows the room down the R/H side that a cross flow radiator could fit nicely. The L/H side will have carb, headers and shifter remote. JW
    [​IMG]

deadbeat, brEad, AndersF and 3 others like this.
  30. deadbeat and 26 T Ford RPU like this.