Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Weld Aluminum to Stainless Steel ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Jul 15, 2021.

1. loudbang

loudbang

DISCLAIMER: NOT my video and I do not know this man.

Real nice technique for attaching the two dissimilar metal together. Watch until the end to see if they are really Welded. :rolleyes:

2. so they are not really welded together just "captured" so the bolt cannot come out.

3. loudbang

loudbang

Looks like brazing to me :rolleyes:

VANDENPLAS and bchctybob like this.
  4. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I thought it was pretty neat..........

Hnstray, loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Dang !! You ruined it for everybody !! Now theres no reason to watch the movie or read the book !! :D :p

6. He covered up the bolt kinda like the dome over the reactor at Chernobyl!!

hey not “exactly” or remotely welded together but the aluminum hat he created did the job !

deathrowdave and loudbang like this.
  7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

What a shit show.

tomcat11 likes this.
  8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

There is a big difference between welding and melting two pieces of metal together.

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. billfunk29

billfunk29
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Long time ago, I welded Stainless steel to aluminum, with an electron beam welder, no filler. Surprisingly it was pretty strong. Could not break it by hand. Cut a section to polish and etch. Metallurgy sucked.

loudbang likes this.
  10. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Probably one of the most talented welders on the interwebs.
    The guy does fantastic work, and openly shares tips on welding.
    Always takes on challenges from watchers. Probably the purpose of the video.

11. Not the most elegant solution I've ever seen, but if it works....

ekimneirbo, loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

But why? In what application would that be needed? Or is it just a "hey, what if"?

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  13. leon bee

leon bee

It would take a pretty cynical person to not find that video interesting.

14. nickleone

nickleone

I worked in a refinery in my youth. The older welders would "weld" a piece of copper tube to the steel workbench . They used 7018 rod. I was difficult to remove from the bench.

Nick

427 sleeper and loudbang like this.
  15. williebill

williebill

Pretty cool. Liked the way he chased the molten aluminum around to make it flow out evenly. I've never done that with dissimilar metals, but in the 70s, I liked moving aluminum around with just the heliarc torch ( TIG to the younger guys). Always tried to make my work look good. Thanks for posting.

loudbang likes this.
  16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Some sales guys came by the shop where I was working in the early 90s. They had a bar or steel welded to a bar of aluminum using friction welding. It was bent 90 degrees at the weld. Only the aluminum bent. Don't know what ever became of the process.

17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

The video said;
    "Hold on, keyboard commandos, I know you are frothing at the mouth to publicly whine about something in the comments section"

Hit the nail on the head....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    ekimneirbo and loudbang like this.
  18. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Friction welding also known as Inertia welding is used a lot in the turbine aircraft engine and aerospace industry. It is often used to join dissimilar metals together including aluminum, ferrous alloys and super alloys. It involves spinning one of the metals and then forcibly pressing it into the other metal and as both surfaces overheat from friction a weld is formed. That is a oversimplification because both surfaces must be engineered to specific shapes and the equipment used is specialized involving the ability to spin one end a clutch system to break loose once the weld is accomplished. An example might be joining a shaft to a turbine compressor wheel or rotor in a turbine engine. It can be as simple as attaching a steel treaded stud to an aluminum plate. The process becomes becomes expensive due to the machines used and dedicated tooling to hold the parts for each specific job.

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

At the time I was working in the Components section at the UAL overhaul base in South City. Doing calibration. Prior too that I had worked for the processes engineers making all sorts of things for them to weld together with the EB welder and then cut it apart to see how the weld turned out. Also did Plasma Spray and hydro forming experiments. It was a pretty good job.

Hnstray likes this.
  20. Sporty45

Sporty45

Why did he heat the threaded end before starting to weld?

loudbang likes this.
  21. I think it was to prove the bolt wasn't aluminum simply based on its appearance/color change after heating. That's my guess.

22. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

I think just to show that it was not aluminum. Aluminum would not discolor. Preemptive strike to the naysayers.

loudbang and Sporty45 like this.
  23. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Was the bolt encased by a mound of aluminum welding rod
    or was it actually melted and fused with the aluminum as in fusion welding.

Looks like the former.

loudbang likes this.
  24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I weld that stuff all the time. I use a special process, called JB Weld.

Enjoyed the video, thanks.

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I believe you are correct ….”it is the former”

Ray

ekimneirbo and loudbang like this.
  26. Well, he didn't technically weld the two metals but he attached one to the other and it apparently was effective.

46international and loudbang like this.
  27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Ok I could do that "welding".. But sure as shit the peice of aluminum would arc and stick to the bench, guaranteed!

loudbang likes this.
  28. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

For the guys that are complaining, its basically a similar process to soldering or brazing parts together. Joining by using surface tension rather than actually blending the metals composition of alloys. He just takes it one step further and shows you how to attach stainless to aluminum. Think about it.......If you had an aluminum panel that was dented and you needed to pull it out without drilling a hole, you could do this just like the "dent pullers" that are used for steel panels. Then grind it off and no hole left behind. Or maybe you need something you can attach a brace to just to stiffen the aluminum panel. With the bolt, you can still remove the bracket or panel. Its just another weapon in our tool arsenal as far as I'm concerned.

dirty old man, loudbang and Budget36 like this.