Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Another Strip closure ahead.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffB2, Jul 15, 2021.

1. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sad but that same thing happens all too often, The city builds out to the track and the land becomes highly valuable to developers. Bad part is that they will sell the land for tenfold what they paid the track owners for it.

3. loudbang

loudbang

4. 97

If the track owners wanted to carry on they just need to partner up with a friendly developer, do the industrial development themselves alongside another one FOR themselves, build it just as far out of town as this one was when it was built in 1988. Good for another lifetime! They obviously want to move on from dragracing rather than carry on dragracing.

5. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

Houston Raceway Part will close after the 2022 racing year, a big loss in this area will become warehouse space

6. 55Belairman

55Belairman

Basically. the same thing that happened to Detroit Dragway some years ago.

7. hepme

hepme

What bothers me about this is now this area is down to one 1/8 mi. track far as i know. When i grew up here we had several, Gulf fwy., Porter, and one more i can't remember. The Houston area has about 4-5 million folks, not to mention the outlying areas. I guess its a sign of the times, no interest by the younger set and we guys that grew up with it are now just about gone. A lawn chair and shiny paint never quite suited me, but that's all that's left now.

JeffB2 and quick85 like this.
  8. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

It is all about money and the younger generation can't afford to do much of it anymore and they aren't a car generation like us old white hairs were...

quick85 likes this.
  9. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

The 1/8th mile is off West Mount Houston called Houston Motorsports Park. 1/8th mile with 1/8th mile shutdown... sketchy track at best. Yeah, its the only one left in this area, unless you drive to Diboll or San Antonio or Ennis.

I remember porter, now it is where houses and business now reside. The younger generations still are out there, go to HMP on a test and tune night and its packed, tons of late model vehicles, pickup trucks and mustangs, but they are still doing it.

Houston Raceway Park was sold a few years back anyways or a year ago, the owner who bought it stated they would keep it as a racetrack. The area where this track is, was very removed from everything. Now with a new beltway going over that direction, urban sprawl is making moves for sure. Even 5 years ago it was still very removed out there. Times have changed for sure.

NHRA events bring the money for a track for sure. But IHRA races always have cooler shit than the corporate sponsored billboards of NHRA...

Racetracks are dying, mostly cause property taxes for the land are killing the owners and they make nothing off races and entry etc.

A dirt track up in Willis, shut down, they filled in the bowl with dirt and now are putting houses there. More and more tracks suffer this fate as urban sprawl and urbanization of country happens.

JeffB2 likes this.
  10. Boom…here in Detroit it’s all about hanging out the window doing donuts in the middle of the street…

Still no word on Milan Dragway here…I’m gonna get me Drag racing fix on 9-11 at Kil Kare when SEGA comes to town..gonna do the 2 day deal and get a room to take it all in

11. Pretty soon, will all have to go to Famoso!! Drag racing started to get kids racing off the streets. Now all the kids do is skid their rice burners.

JeffB2 likes this.
  12. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Yeah, Eastex was the best, Houston international in Dickinson and there was a track in Angleton I never made it to. Back when living in the Houston area was tolerable.

13. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Is this the track known as Baytown?

14. hepme

hepme

yeah, was know as that by most rodders. Royal Purple had it for a while and then it changed owners. It was too far for me to run any of my junk there however the real racers used it a lot.

15. Good News…it’s been saved and will be better than ever…it’s a good day in Detroit…
    5C6323B9-1026-4D47-8FC0-A498803D40B2.jpeg