Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Featured Classifieds: An Adventure...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Featured Classifieds: An Adventure...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan,

I did this very thing back in the fall of 2017 in a...you guessed it! - a '47 Ford Coupe! For the most part the trip was fun and uneventful, but there was a little drama right at the end. I had a good time and covered 1300 miles. I went by myself, but it would have been more fun to have a good buddy riding shotgun.

Here is a link to my old thread: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/update-am-i-nuts-i-guess-not-after-all.1081001/

I would seriously encourage folks to do a trip like this. There are risks for sure, but it is also a good time.

Steve

Joe Blow, drdave, Denns1989 and 5 others like this.
  3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I saw that car listed this morning and thought......nah. Wife would ban me from the house. Great car at an even better price.

lothiandon1940 and Thor1 like this.
  4. Sounds like more fun than watching that stupid 'Roadkill'!

5. few years back we had a customer buy a running CHASSIS for his 34 cabriolet way back East. He rigged it up with a seat, lights, John Deere awning and drove the thing back out West using old Highways. Epic

6. Yea, I can see driving that one across the country. I did similar back in 2004 when I bought a 52 Chevy off an Ebay add and then drove it home from Chicago. Trip went well thankfully even though my tools that I flew up with me (just in case) got lost by the airlines. They did show up back at my house before I did though... Transmission went out on that car about a week after I got home.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Definitely NOT my idea of fun. Relying on somebody else's perceived level of mechanical ability. Have you guys even bought used cars before? Unless the builder was well respected, I won't ever be doing this "fun".

8. HA!

Tim likes this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Different strokes for different folks... and I could certainly see how this would frustrated folks. But, I love the idea of being stuck somewhere and only having me and my buddies wits to rely on in an effort to get going again. You have to be of the adventure mindset for sure though... and it could obviously get out of hand REAL quick.

I guess it's the "unpredictableness" of it all that excites me.

10. alchemy

alchemy

I’ve got enough unpredictableness in my own builds, I don’t need to get it from someone else.

11. Didn't you do this with the Riv a few years back?

HEMI32 likes this.
  12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yes. Norm and I drove a ‘64 and a ‘65 riviera from Boston to Austin after buying them site unseen. They were pretty nice cars though… and other than some bad tires on norm’s car, we didn’t have any real issues. Still a blast though.

alfin32, Austinrod, engine138 and 4 others like this.
  13. 2935ford

2935ford

A solo adventure.
    When I was living in Iowa I purchased a '50 F1 from a fellow in California.
    I flew into Fresno. Met him at the Highway Patrol station. He had me go with him to his branch bank and cleared my cheque.
    So, I had the test run from the HP station to his bank about 5 miles.
    He waved goodbye and best of luck.
    I then drove to Cypress after an overnight stay in a hotel.
    The truck had a 289, C4 with upgraded front and rear end.
    Highway speed was no problem.
    Stayed overnight at my brothers place took off in the morning.
    I got as far as Fontana and of all things, it started raining (in California! :( ).
    On when the dual upgraded electric wiper system.......a couple of swipes and they stopped!
    Managed to get off the highway and into town. Found a garage that pointed me to an auto electric shop.
    I explained my situation and the fellow dropped what he was doing to help me. Pulled out the wiper motor found the problem.......it needed a replacement motor.
    This is a Friday morning.
    I found out from the previous owner where he had bought it and traced the source to CW Moss in Orange.
    I called my sister who was visiting there in Irvine and was kind enough to go purchase the new motor and deliver it to me.
    Once she arrived with it......in it went.
    I was on my way in 4 hours.
    Not a drop of rain the rest of the way (of course) and no other incidents.
    It was a GREAT and memorable adventure for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

14. @Ryan & @Keith -

Perhaps Atomic Industry.jpg and/or REX rod & chassis.jpg could start a YouTube.JPG channel ... ala VGG.JPG ...

... except limit your "Rescues & Revivals" to "H.A.M.B. friendly" vehicles ... I know I'd definitely subscribe!

Here's a few examples of VGG's (semi-HAMB-friendly) "Rescues & Revivals":

1954 Dodge Royal (with 241ci Red Ram HEMI)

1956 Buick Special

1963 Buick LeSabre

1964 Dodge Dart GT​

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    Thor1 likes this.
  15. I did it a lot in my younger days. Rode the 'Dog' somewhere, hit up the classifieds, find it, buy it and make the trip home. Even went so far as to rent a UHaul towbar at times (remember those?) if I came across something else I couldn't live without. Sometimes two weeks stretched to three, four or more.

Tman and flatford39 like this.
  16. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I've tried to drive things home that looked a lot worse than that one. I love these adventures as long as I don't have to lay in a snow bank to repair them along the highway. Have not done this for a long time... sounds fun!

guthriesmith and Thor1 like this.
  17. Hey, families made road trips in cars like that for years and years! Ok, you may not find a starter motor at the local NAPA. But a cell phone & credit card can get one sent to to your bed & breakfast or hotel as quick as anywhere. Sounds like a hoot!

kidcampbell71 and Thor1 like this.
  18. Rand Man

Rand Man

Sorry, that particular solid car, at that price doesn’t look like that much of a challenge to me. Check the belts, fluids and go. You want a car? I happen to know some for sale.

19. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

@Ryan you've hit upon my current weak spot. Ask Mark...I've been pining over 46/48s ever since Chris had his and my eye was on this... man it would be fun.

20. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Car is in NJ with a New Hampshire title and a California plate? Sort that out and then it sounds like a great road trip.

Tman and Thor1 like this.
  21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

‘I like the sedans better oddly… but yeah, always a warm spot for a good mustache grille.

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Dreddybear saw video of Him driving it around getting it warmed up for you today ;) be a great road trip adventure

guthriesmith and Thor1 like this.
  23. alchemy

alchemy

I guess I am an old fuddy duddy, but I sold a car to an adventurer once. I placed an ad in the Rodder's Digest classifieds to sell my 39 Chevy tudor. It was a solid car with a fresh MII, but the engine and trans were an unknown 350/350 combo.

A guy bought it from the small pic and a phone call (pre internet). He was gonna fly in and drive it home. I met him at the Des Moines International Airport, and it turns out Stan from Flathead Lake Montana (cool place to live, huh?) was an elderly one-legged man! And he was all by himself. But no worries, he made it just fine. I did build (most of) the car after all.

kidcampbell71 and Tim like this.
  24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I actually thought about the same thing in my 55 F100.
    Want to meet somewhere and roll down the old back roads and towns across America ?
    You only live once.
    We'd probably go the same speed with the original engines and rear gears.

55 Ford with new Salt Flats and Tires.jpg

( I can yank the Salt Flats off and put the old steel wheels / caps on for total old stock.)

kidcampbell71, guthriesmith and Thor1 like this.
  25. Working in a junkyard in L.A. in '59. In comes a '40 Chevy coupe which I snapped up for $15. Drove it for awhile and traded for a roachy A-V8. The guy I traded it to sold it to a guy that was heading for Georgia. Heard he made it without a problem.

kidcampbell71, guthriesmith and Thor1 like this.
  26. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me thinks that having a Ford expert like Tardel along for the ride makes it far less "exciting" than who I could recruit. Ha!

27. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’d have to take it for a long test drive before I’d be comfortable doing this. especially with an originally flatty.
    So many things can break. you’d have to carry a whole trunk load of extra parts.
    Or have a couple weeks free to try to source a part that’s not found at NAPA.
    Does sound like a fun challenge though. Nice Ford.

Thor1 likes this.
  28. So, @Ryan , we are all ready to follow along on your adventure. Have you bought it yet? :D

Thor1 likes this.
  29. wvenfield

wvenfield

I went with a friend to look at an OT British car in the middle of winter. It was only around 200 miles away. His plan was to look, buy if he liked it and then go back to get it. There was no top for the car. I don't recall who suggested just driving it home that night.

It was around 30 degrees and snowing (northern Ohio). He would drive for 15-20 minutes and then I would drive it for 15-20 minutes.

RJP, Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  30. Not across the country but the next state.
    Bought a beater ford truck from a relative.
    About 220-230 miles from home.
    Not very far. However, this truck was a beater.
    Hasn’t run in years. Chickens and rats had been living in it.
    We took tires, a carb, fuel pump, fuel line, a boat gas tank, and fluids.
    We got the rear brakes to bleed, but the rear had a blown seal. We filled it up with old 30 weight oil.
    my uncle had lost the key so we hot wired in a light switch. Hit the light switch then touch two wires. Done
    Ran some fuel line, installed the fuel pump, cleaned some points and fired it up.
    I pushed the crushed back of the cab back enough I had room to sit and took off.
    Drove that rat and chicken crap filled piece of junk as hard as I could all the way home.
    No exhaust, no glass other than the windshield.
    The most fun I’ve ever had buying something.
    And $100 well spent.
    I was 18 at the time and would do it again today 30 years later. I guess some of us never learn.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    High test 63, Budget36, chiro and 6 others like this.