Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Adapt ANY Engine to ANY Transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Mar 13, 2021.

1. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@SEAAIRE354 I like to use the steel scatter shields for my adapters and usually can find them reasonably at the swaps. I also use the big industrial scrap years as they have drops and that also do some fabrication work for construction industries. I can get aluminum plate for better pricing and usually marked the type. I know some guys like the supermarket type metal markets but large steel company’s work with little guys and have better pricing and even shorts or damages goods..
    I just watched the videos and pretty cool and talented kid . As a tool and die maker I am hoping it was edited to speed things along. I dont think a dowl locating in the spindle / flywheel would give me enough confidence to machine or drill the item out. Indicating would give you give you the exact location and would also see how flat the flywheel is as well or the Milling machine for that fact. I am probably nitpicking but taking a few minutes to check everything is square and at zero.
    I’m old school and ran a Jigbore machine for dies so I pick a mill before lathe. Just add a indexing head and or rotary table and you have a lathe:D

2. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

First let me say that I enjoyed watching the videos and the fellow did a nice job presenting the information. There are a few things he did that I would NOT have done. That said, machining is the practice of taking available machines and tooling and finding a way to apply them to the job you want to do. Just because I would have done a few things differently is not meant as a slight at him, and does not mean what he did wouldn't work. So this is meant as objective suggestion rather than criticism.:)

First, while what he did looks really nice, it is pretty expensive to buy large chunks of aluminum. Second, he had to make two adapters, which adds to that expense. If I were doing this, I would look at using an existing bellhousing that the transmission already fit. As ContinentalJohn mentioned, existing scattershields are a good starting point. I would have started by checking the length of the input shaft to see what distance I had to work with. A steel scattershield could easily have the engine mounting plate machined off and one with the correct pattern welded back in place. Its all about how much room you have to work with from the face of the trans to the block. Anyway used scattershields are often available cheaply. Also it might be possible to use a simple steel 3/16 plate between an aluminum housing and the engine face, which would be a much cheaper method. Just use an extended pilot bearing to add support for the input shaft.

Using a scribed line to establish the location of the clutch mounting holes. I would not recommend that except as a last resort..........and drilling them by hand even though using a mill isn't good either. This will locate a rotating mass and NEEDS to be right. I don't know how many rpms he plans with the Jag engine, but a high reving V8 needs this done right.

Aligning the transmission by using a bushing to lock the input shaft on center. The thing I would have done is to indicate the housing on the engine to see how far it was off location. Then I would have mounted it on a rotary table and corrected the hole location so it was concentric to the crank, but slightly larger. Then the aluminum adapter on the face of the trans would have a step cut in its face that slipped into the housing and aligned the trans properly.
    The bolts to attach the trans will be inserted into holes that are larger than the bolts, the trans can be moved around even though the holes are in the correct location. Whenever the trans is installed from underneath the car at a later date, there is nothing that keeps it in correct alignment, and the bushing he used cannot be used at that time.Any time an adapter is made, it should have the mounting hole in the bellhousing concentric with the crankshaft, and the trans or trans adapter/spacer should fit closely in that hole. That allows removal and reinstallation of the trans without changing alignment. Simply bolting a flat face to a flat face does not insure correct alignment. Chevy builders found this out when they used truck bellhousings and found the center hole in the bellhousing was larger than the ones used on cars.

Good point and I agree with you.

Indicating is ALWAYS the best way. Having done layout work as a machinist and an inspector, we both know that there is room for error in that method. There is room for error in all methods, but more likely with layout. How many times have I centerpunched a layout line and it wasn't exactly where I wanted it. Kazillionso_O

Nope, absolutely not. It takes a while to understand when really precise measurement has to be used and when semi-precise will suffice. You are simply pointing out that when precision does matter, there are better ways to attain it. So again, I agree with you. (Not about nitpicking, but what you said):D

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  3. Truckedup

Truckedup

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Oh...I was talking about Fords! Lol:D

Bones

5. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

8347DE8D-6105-4B21-AB38-1B54EC360332.jpeg I never updated this. Here is a “mostly” finished adapter for early hemi to lakewood scattershield meant for small block mopar.
    Done on a manual bridgport with a rotary table. Included side engine mount area. 90373037-5374-4E60-BB31-776701C6E091.jpeg

6. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Most impressive manual machining!

TRENDZ likes this.
  7. Nice work!

TRENDZ likes this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve put quite a few Lakewood and now Quick-Time housings on. The first thing I do is check with stock dowels. If off over .005” I take them out, set it where I want at .000” to .001” and drill my own. Usually 1/8” due available space. Anything can be done. The most important this doing correct, check 2 time before cutting as my dad said..

TRENDZ and rod1 like this.
  9. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tman likes this.
  10. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Agreed. That’s my “almost finished” comment.
    The block to adapter is done and fitted, but the dowels for the scattersheild wont be drilled until I zero the location.

11. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Awesome work and please share more pictures. What size is your rotary table thanks

TRENDZ likes this.
  12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Considering our nation's high schools are doing away with
    industrial arts classes, it's great to see that there are still talented folks who know who to
    machine and fabricate creatively to solve problems.

TRENDZ likes this.
  13. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

The rotary table was from a high school equipment auction. At least it didn’t go to scrap. $140.00 with minimal use.
    14” diameter. Very heavy!

continentaljohn likes this.
  14. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

This guy has some real talent I'm surprised no one has scooped him up great job

15. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

What’s interesting is the local high schools just recently invested into shop equipment again. They sold the machines off years ago but with the shortage of machinists/toolmakers
    /mold makers they got new stuff including a CNC machine. I think its awesome and have been giving some of my old tools Mic,calipers and other gauges to the kid down the street in the shop class..

Thank you and 14 incher is a great size and you can make some cool stuff. I have a 12 inch and comes in handy but 14 would be better lol

TRENDZ likes this.
  16. ROBRAM

ROBRAM

Regardless of what kind of tools and equipment he has access to, it's refreshing to see a young man out in the shop
    putting out the effort rather than just lying on the couch playing video games.

continentaljohn and TRENDZ like this.
  17. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Young may be a stretch.... 53
    All this high school talk may have mislead you.
    In the last 10-15 years, the public schools here pretty much decimated the idea of shop class. A lot of machines went to scrap. In that time range you could get very nice used school shop equipment for nearly nothing.
    Im in Milwaukee. We use to be known as the world’s machine shop.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  18. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Trendz that is a beautiful piece. And the fact that there is no industrial arts classes in school now ridiculous. I have people that I work with that have that have zero ability to figure some of the most basic stuff out. And the majority don’t care to learn if I try to teach them. And don’t get me started on common sense.

TRENDZ likes this.
  19. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

My nephew was close to finishing his masters degree when he realized he was not really enjoying his work. He took a one year course on CNC machining, graduated first in his class and was hired upon graduation by Pratt and Whitney.
    Makes good money, has never been so happy is working 7 days a week and loving it.

continentaljohn, TRENDZ and Tman like this.