Register now to get rid of these ads!

transmission options for flatheads in trucks?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Duellym, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Duellym

Duellym

Hi all, I'm wondering if any of you have any experience running any other transmissions behind flatheads besides the stock 3 speed and t5's? I have one of the big truck 4 speeds currently mocked up in my 47 1/2 ton truck however its not exactly in what I would call good shape, instead of trying to rebuild it I'd rather get a different transmission that's at least synconized and has a little better gear ratios for me to drive it. I'm not exactly keen on the idea of a s10 t5 either because of how much they're going for considering what they are and they won't give me the gear ratios I want either. I wanna be able to use the truck as a truck, so I keep looking at 4 speeds out of much newer trucks, i just don't know what ones I could actually use. I'm sure I am not the 1st person to do something like this so maybe one of you on here has. Thanks.

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

Some folks unbolt the front section of your 4 spd, the "hogs head " and use that to mount what ever you want ...with some "figgerin"

Duellym likes this.
  3. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I'm running a 700r4 behind my flathead. I like the low 1st gear and the overdrive. Anything is possible.

Duellym likes this.
  4. 1952henry

1952henry

A T98 Warner is synchronized, but needs to be from 48-52. It is a modernized version of the T9 non-synchro you most likely have now.

Duellym and tractorguy like this.

5. The T98 is hell for stout...used in 1 1/2-2 ton trucks 48-52 as said. It's also big, and very heavy, It does bolt up to a flatty though. Getting hard to find around here, most of those big trucks have gotten scrapped.
    A better option might be a the 80's F150 trans (T170?....not sure of the ID#). Look on the Fordbarn for more info.

Duellym likes this.
  6. Duellym

Duellym

I was looking at the t19 that was in bullnose f150s/250s the only issue i can find is I can't find definite info on what the input shaft length is.