Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Early Hemi To Ford Hurst Style Motor Mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FordMercMan, Jul 10, 2021.

1. FordMercMan

FordMercMan

Is anyone producing front motor mounts for installing an early long bell housing 331 Chrysler Hemi in a '40 Ford? I have been watching for some of the old Hurst mounts to pop up, but no luck so far.

2. swifty

swifty

I've got some that fit a 318 Poly into a 32 frame. There are some similarities between the Poly and the early Hemi but I haven't checked them out. Also we made a couple to fit a 455 Olds into my son's 55 Olds. Buy some steel plate and break out the hacksaw LOL but then I did start hot rodding when you had to make everything.

3. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Try Speedway Motors.

4. There was a person in Massachusetts making the Chrysler motor mounts a few years ago. I don't know if he still makes them. Contact Billy Belmont 781-326-9599 at Belmont's Rod and Custom. Billy usually knows who is doing whatever in the area. He may have a pair in stock.

5. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Make Your Own And The Deep Bell Housing Has Nothing To Do With The Fit For 130735743_2817599831897613_1583788088776456103_n.jpg 1951-58 Fire Power/Desoto/Dodge In A 1939/40 Ford....Set The Engine In And Make Card Board Templates That Tie To The Early Ford Biscuits Then Transfer To Metal...Cake Job...

Deuces, das858 and vtx1800 like this.
  6. Andy

Andy

Speedway used to offer a Hurst style front mount for the early red rams. It used the front cover bolts I think the 331 had the same cover bolt pattern.
    I made my own for my 241 but tapped the holes out to 3/8.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  7. FordMercMan

FordMercMan

Thank you Andy, and everyone else for replying. Good info.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  8. FordMercMan

FordMercMan

Lou, thanks for the reply. I would think with the weight of the 331 would it not be a good idea to fab a rear engine mount to take some of the weight off of the Ford transmission. It's a big span.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. Andy

Andy

I have a big span with my rig. Do worry about it folding up. I have the red ram, then the two piece alum. adapter for Hemi to flathead and then another alum. adapter to go to the Chevy trans. The trans has the mount on the tail housing. The engine has the Hurst style mount on the very front. So for so good.

10. I have 6-8 sets of NOS Hurst motor mounts new in the original boxes. Not sure if I have what you need? They are all various applications. When I get a chance I can see what I have

11. FordMercMan

FordMercMan

12. FordMercMan

FordMercMan

Thanks, High. When I got the 331 it had one mount extension that is about 5-6 inches long pointed foward. The left side was'nt there. Looks like it might come close to being long enough to make it to the '40 cross member? Of course I won't know until I mock it up. As the engine came out of a one of a kind custom car, that has since been restored and is now in a museum, it's hard to say as many components
    were fabricated just for that car.

13. Pic of a Hurst mount add; looks like CR-202 & SP-150 are what you are looking for. Maybe the visual will help ID some mounts someone has kicking around.
    scan0001 (Medium).jpg

14. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Thanks And The Adapter And Transmission Are More Than Adequate To Hold The Weight...The Transmission Will Hold Up Fine If Driven Sensibly...Best Of Luck To Your Project...

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, this is all you should need to make your own; I did. This page is invaluable.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  16. FordMercMan

FordMercMan

Thank you Rich and all who have replied. It would appear that I have the right side of the CR-202 Hurst adapter. So, if High Plains Drifter or anyone has a complete set, please let me know. Again great info.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  17. If you have the right side, you should be able to make a mirror image for the left side. I did this several years ago to make a Buick BU-202 type mount.

18. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I have a set that I borrowed from a buddy . So I am going to make a few sets .. if you need a few pictures or dimensions let me know thanks image.jpg

19. FordMercMan

FordMercMan

Good idea, but I am wondering why the ones that Rich shows, CR-202, above look like they are not just mirror images of each other? Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

20. They are not mirror images because of the way the bosses on the block are made, and drilled.

51 mercules and warbird1 like this.
  21. FordMercMan

FordMercMan

Thanks Nick. Then my very old brain is still working, most of the time.

51 mercules likes this.
  22. 51 mercules

51 mercules

They are not mirror images. Here's a pic I found on the net. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  23. Abomination

Abomination

24. 73RR

73RR

Jason, Thanks for the nod!
    Some guy walked in the shop awhile back and bought all of the re-pops I had at that time...not sure why he needed 8 pair but money talks.
    Right now I do not have any and since I am trying to reduce inventory......it might be awhile.:(

Gary

25. Early on ('64?) I fabbed a set of those long mounts for my 331 hemi in my '36 Willys. Didn't like them so I made some out of 4" square steel tubing with early ford donut rubbers. Work great. Bad photo but I think you can see what I did. I made both the engine and frame brackets from the tubing.

water pump.jpg

Deuces and continentaljohn like this.
  26. Vendome

Vendome

I have the SP-150 and AD-75 new in the box. Contact me if interested.

51 mercules likes this.