Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Big thanks, shout out for HAMB member CrazySteve update 10/5/22

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FORDPU, Jul 9, 2021.

1. I figured I'd take my coupe into town get gas, make a bit of an "appreciation of collector car day thing" out of it.
    Well, Damn if the old coupe decided the Hell with that, and died in route..seems to have lost compression, oil pressure..basically leaving me stranded along the road, temperature in the 100's (okay, it only seemed that way, more like low IMG_2318.JPG 80's), I was in a bit of a situation, so after thinking on it for a while, I decided to give @crazysteve a call for some help, he dropped what he was doing, came with his pickup and a tow strap, and proceeded to tow me in (another one of those car towing episodes never to be forgotten).
    Thank you Steve, very much appreciated.

2. Steve shares lots of good electrical help with guys like me.

3. His words of wisdom ring true.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to balance out the Crazy to find some normalcy...Good on Hambers helping Hambers...what was the problem?

Towing with straps is a challenge at the best of times...probably brought back memories of the Good Ole Days...:eek:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021

5. Budget36

Budget36

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yep @Crazy Steve has established “hisself” as a ‘go to guy’ for reliable info….and, apparently, hands on assistance when possible..

Ray

7. Agreed.
    It died going down the road after losing power, then a bit of rattling then, crank no start..and apparently no compression, as it turns over like there are no spark plugs in it.
    Not concerned, a couple of years ago, I had a 283 built for it, bored .030, balanced, ARP rod bolts, etc., it's on my engine stand, and will install, after I finish the '41 Ford p/u I'm currently building.

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fuel Filter? I was losing power with some frequency when all seemed fine and it turned out to be a dislodged filter in the inline gas filter due to glue failure...perhaps in your case it may have completely blocked the flow off...

I always made it home scratching my head...

chryslerfan55, brady1929 and loudbang like this.
  9. Aw shucks, it was nuthin' ... Glad to help. Uneventful except for the A-hole in the old car who tailgated me... :eek::D:D

I told him it was the Ford rejecting the Chevy transplant... LOL. And I'd be willing to bet it's a cam problem; one of the cam gears spinning, broken chain or cam. Probably has a bunch of bent valves which is where the compression went. Let us know what it is...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  10. squirrel

squirrel

cool beans! about helping out

too bad it sounds serious.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Who'd a thought there was actually two HAMB'rs in Yelm Washington!:D
    I'll steal the old American Express slogan "Membership has its privileges ".

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the My Ole Hotrod and it's lil Chevy are still gittn' it on...:p

Engine dying and glug glugging to the side of the road sucks for sure...THAT has happened...:oops:...no gas a couple of times...in fact my 1st ride was a tank empty 10 minutes into the drive...said 1/4 or a little less so trusted the gauge...

The replacement sounds right on target...for the times that they were...them Mighty Mouses...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  13. spanners

spanners

Maybe that Chevy was sick of having to carry that Ford boat anchor around?

14. It just wasn't 'Ford Tough' enough?... LOLOL

15. Good on you, Steve. You exemplify what the HAMB and Hot Rodding are all about. A true sense of community............Don.

16. AndersF

AndersF

We all know that Henry Fords first choise of driveline was Dodge before he tried to do it himself.

17. It's ALWAYS Dodge!!

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- two "15 minute" projects to work on now

hotrodjack33 and loudbang like this.
  19. Update..took a break from sanding on my '41 Ford p/u fenders (pretty easy to take a break).
    Removed valve covers, pulled off distributor cap, turned engine over, and balancer spins, but rocker arms, distributor rotor don't move,,I believe that is a problem..okay, that is the problem.
    So, as Steve suggested, either broken cam, or timing components.
    When I first bought this car, it had been sitting for at least 7 years..I got it running with its mis-matched heads, and Damn it actually ran decent.
    That inspired me to get a rebuilt set of camel hump 194 heads, new Edelbrock Performer series cam/lifters, new Cloyes double roller timing chain/gears, new pushrods, and new rocker arms.
    I knew in the back of my mind that the old SBC, would eventually let go, which is why I bought the rebuilt shortblock a couple of years ago, for the inevitable replacement.
    It ran strong right up until yesterday.

20. The bummer is you've no doubt got at least a few bent valves, maybe more (that 'ticking' noise you heard). At least it didn't sound like any broke and dropped into the cylinder. Hopefully it's not a broken cam, it's a real PITA to fish the piece or pieces out of the block. My money is on the cam gear coming loose. The way you described the way it quit points in that direction. First the loss of power (cam timing changed), then the 'ticking' (more timing change, and valves kissing the pistons), then total loss of power (cam timing totally off or not turning at all, and either open or bent valves and loss of compression). If it didn't booger any piston tops badly it should be fixable.

21. I
    I agree Steve..not too concerned about the block, I'll install the new shortblock after I get these body pieces for the '41 in paint..need to take advantage of the warm weather, since I paint outside.

22. And next time I'm at HF I'll pick up a longer tow strap.... LOL. But you did a great job as the 'towee'...

23. Budget36

Budget36

Timing chain give up the ghost?

Edit. See you put a new set in.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Thanks Steve, it was a bit hairy, reminicent of years past..white knuckling it.

25. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Ah yes... memmmories of strap / chain towing... the front car does all the pullin' and the rear car does all the stoppin'!

26. Update, nearly done with the '41 p/u build, but acquired another project I'm preparing for paint etc. ('53 Ford Convertible).
    Since I moved the '41 p/u next to the '39, It beckoned me..hey, over here, did you forget about me?
    Sure enough the timing chain fell off with the removal of the cover, crank sprocket is nearly round..pretty sure it's supposed to have actual teeth on it, found one cam sprocket bolt, a part of another, and some metal pieces.
    Rather than repair, I'll more than likely put in my new short block..when?, not sure, I seem to have buried myself in projects lately.
    Love this hobby..never I chance to get bored.

27. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Always a silver lining. (Rebuilt short block on hand ).

Stogy likes this.
  28. "On the road again"..if you want to realize a new appreciation for your HotRod take it out of the line up for a year and a half.
    So, I put in the new camshaft/lifters, timing components into the fresh shortblock (less cam and timing components).
    I had the heads rebuilt (5 bent valves),flywheel surfaced, I installed a new ring gear, I also rebuilt the three Stromberg 97's, put in fresh gear oil into the Muncie 4 spd.
    I'm going to re-visit the original builders Z bar fabrication, worked but lots of room for improvement.
    Runs good, sounds good, happy to have it back on the road.
    Thanks again CrazySteve for the memorable tow in.
    IMG_4250.JPG IMG_4243.JPG IMG_4318.JPG

Hnstray, tr_rodder, slim38 and 20 others like this.
  29. Great looking '39. Glad it's back in action. Have fun.

30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member