Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs In which order should I layer them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cluxford, Jul 9, 2021.

1. cluxford

cluxford
    from Australia

350 SBC in a 61 Buick.

Currently no AC. Going to install a Classic Auto Air system.

I've never done such an install before so a complete noob !

I have a custom radiator with 18" flex fan and no shroud.
    Will be adding a shroud

TH350 Trans runs a transcooler, currently in front of radiator.

I will be looking to get a large condenser, I can go as much as 25" wide and 18" deep to sit in from of entire radiator.

My question is order...from grille backwards

Should I go:
    Option 1
    Transcooler
    then behind that condenser
    then behind that radiator

OR

Option 2
    Condensor
    behind that trans cooler
    behind that radiator

Note trans cooler only takes up about half over sq foot size of radiator and I will be going a decent sized (much larger) condenser.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Condenser in the middle, with gaps between all of them.

3. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

My work truck has condenser , trans cooler , radiator. Been that way for 20 years & 225 k miles.

5. What about option three? Trans cooler in the radiator?

A shroud is a good idea, but have you considered the front of the cooling area? The air will flow around the coolers if the front of them is not blocked off.

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

I did a 57 Ford 312 auto and used option 2 and it worked fine for years. I also installed a pusher fan in front of the condenser so the a/c would cool better in the hot Florida summers while sitting in traffic.
    I still kept my mechanical fan with a home built shroud. It just needed more circulation in city traffic.
    The engine never got hot , but the in cab temps would rise due to lack of air circulation. Installed a pusher fan with the switch hooked to the a/c control. After that it was nice and cold even in high 90 degree weather.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  7. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I would get a nice thick radiator from Champion with the transmission cooler/heater built in...

The transmission should be around the same temperature as the engine.. It needs to be heated as well as cooled.. My transmission rebuilder told me this when he rebuilt my hydro. I noticed the older hydros didn't have any coolers.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  8. squirrel

squirrel

they probably don't have a torque converter, just a fluid coupling? There is a difference in how much heat they generate.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This might help:
    480ba82bf22739e250c2a5856f26719f.png index.jpg

Almostdone likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

If you want something to work best, put it in front, so it gets the coolest air.

Now, you just have to figure out which is most important.

11. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Putting the trans or P/S cooler in the radiator or A/C condenser is the approach auto manufacturers use to save money - it's just an added loop of tubing inside the unit. The tubing is subject to failure and can lead to ATF in the coolant (and the reverse). Mopar got it right by using a separate small radiator out front. In the event of failure, you'll have an ATF or P/S leak but you won't damage the P/S or trans. Also, it's cheaper and way easier to replace a small accessory radiator than the cooling system radiator or A/C condenser.

12. Not the best photo, but you may be able to see where the filler panel is below the condenser. This insures the air is pulled through the condenser and doesn't travel around it.

IMG_1962.jpg

Packrat likes this.