Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Man, I am burned smooth out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have hit a wall. I have built 3 cars in the last 5 years and I am getting to a point of saturation. Cars are all I have done since I was 12 years old. I eat, sleep and dream about hot rods and customs.

I guess I will have to let them sit for a bit, until I get out of this funk.

The wife and I have recently picked up a recumbent tandem bicycle. Started riding that this morning to help clear my head. It will make my Dr. happy as well.

Might be away for a bit. That will thrill some, I'm sure.

Love the HAMB, but I am smoked.

Root

Bruce A Lyke, Carter, BJR and 39 others like this.
  2. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Root,

Hang in there brother. Take some time away to decompress, spend some time with family and the Lord, and I will look forward to seeing you back here somewhere down the road.

Rest well brother!

Steve

3. Get some miles in your legs and come up here and visit for that mtb vacation we talked about. Our Fall temps are best. The beer to miles ratio is good as well.

mctim64, panhead_pete, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  4. Boatmark

Boatmark

Been there. I do what you’re doing - walk away. Hobbies are supposed to be fun. When it’s not fun I close the door for a while. I’ve also gone to the extreme of selling the project, taking a break, and starting again on another car. Fell out of love with the car, and just wasn’t going to enjoy pushing it to completion. I was jazzed about the next one, and ripped through it!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Three cars in five years, that is a lifestyle I just can't understand, enjoy the vacation. Bob

seb fontana, Stogy, chopped and 5 others like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

three cars in five years...you slacker! get back to work!

chiro, Lil32, mctim64 and 23 others like this.
  7. bchctybob

bchctybob

I know exactly how you feel. The heart attack a couple years ago and the oppressive summer heat here haven't helped one damned bit. My sister returned an old guitar that I had given her so I've been plinkin' on the old six string in front of the A/C when it gets too hot to be in the shop. That and spending too much time on the HAMB and other internet pursuits. Progress on the projects has slowed to a trickle but they are creeping forward.
    Take a break but try not to feel guilty about it, this stuff is in our DNA so we wouldn't be right if we quit. We just have to learn how to throttle it some like the FED drivers of old. And don't neglect your HAMB followers, we look forward to your posts even if they were just a travelogue. Look at how interesting Joey U's roadster thread is....

Joe Blow, bobss396, rod1 and 6 others like this.
  8. When it quits being fun is when you end up unhappy with the finished car. Sometimes a life direction change is needed to put everything back into perspective...

9. 2935ford

2935ford

A break is always good.....probably should have taken more of them!
    Pretty sure most of us ol pharts have been where you are now.
    I keep telling myself......the two I have now are the last but why do I keep searching for sale sites! :(

10. Sometimes a change of direction is in order. I put my car hobby on the back burner a few years ago and started building guitar tube amps. Now back to the cars. Go figure. It is in the DNA.

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dude it’s road trip time! I ditched car shows and even meet ups in late 2018 and just started road tripping and driving the old cars.

Get out of the shop and get some windshield
    Time in, makes everything better. And share your adventures with us ;)

12. trollst

trollst

A year for me, just getting the bug now, take a break, it's not over, although it feels like you want to quit, in my case, I don't want to build any more, more, I want to help my buds sort through their cars, fix things they can't. You don't have to leave the board, hang around and offer advice or criticism.

13. rusty valley

rusty valley

I agree ^^^ road trips are what life is all about

14. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

just open the HAMB and peruse and not answer,, it is cathartic

sodbuster, rob-redm, Tman and 2 others like this.
  15. 54chevkiwi

54chevkiwi

i know how you feel..
    Im only 37 which will get scoffed at being jaded haha but i started painting cars in the collision industry at 17....
    My whole life ive always hadto earn a certain amount of money to pay for a shed to store the car letalone be able to buy parts. And im just now realising how much id rather be free and easy and what ive missed out on tied down by a car..,
    My current one here i started in 2013 and its still not driveable...
    Currently im thinking of all the other things i wanna do, places i wanna be, other occupations to do.. but it still comes back to being tied down to having to have a shed for a car that doesnt run... and not being able to sell a non running car

i know the easy answer is to sell it, and i had tried for months but there was no interest...
    Its also hard for me to come to terms with selling it because even though i hate cars, i have nothing else going on, no idea where to start... no kids, no family, no woman, no pets.. for me its not really an interest, its just been my whole life so far.. i mean, cars have been my identity since i was 17, so its difficult to come to terms with being nothing once thats gone you know...

many people i know lost interest in cars because its so much time and so expensive.. theyve all found better bang for the buck hobbies that are more fulfilling to them without such an investment...
    I Can see that. Im thinking now what im going to get out of it when its done wont be worth it... pussy? Fame..? Money..? Nope.

sorry its not uplifting and all about me haha, but.... i appreciated the time to sympathise and ability to vent.

16. And people wonder why my cars aren't painted lol. Look at cars every day, moving from car to car, suspension here, floors over there, blocking filler on this one, blocking primer on that one, cutting glass for the one behind me, gotta sand and buff the one sitting outside..... yeah, i wanna pull mine in at the end of the day and do it all again :rolleyes: i go to a firehouse every 3rd day to decompress. But i usually just think about what has to be done when i get back in the shop. Go decompress root, i like to fish :D and drink ice cold beer :cool: IMG_8435.jpg

17. v8flat44

v8flat44

x 2 on what Thor1 said. And, like Lloyd may be suggesting; stop wish'n & go fish'n .........

WB69, bobss396, Joe Travers and 5 others like this.
  18. silent rick

silent rick

i suppose you brought that bottle of water along for the fish to stay hydrated

Lil32, SilverJimmy, Thor1 and 7 others like this.
  19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bet you could mount a cool engine on that bicycle.

20. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I'm 66 and couldn't finish 1 car in 5 years. I've been doing a body-on restoration on my dad's 55 Tbird since 2012. The older I get, the less motivated I am. Sometimes other priorities get in the way. I, too, have considered cutting my losses and walking away. Regardless of what others might think, it's just a car. Your family might appreciate being able to spend more time with you; just don't talk about cars.

21. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pictures or it never happened;)

seb fontana, Thor1 and Roothawg like this.
  22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, I have lost my mind.
    F747FFB9-83C0-4A6C-A0C0-5984F9B5B549.jpeg

23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Catch and release, right?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

Ya know, you could have just built that…

Joe Blow, Thor1, Tman and 1 other person like this.
  25. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've tried balancing on a motorcycle with my knees higher than my butt. There's more of you that contacts the ground when you crash:oops:

26. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I see the problem right away - that thing doesn't have an engine!

raven, Thor1, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  27. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I've been burned out for a while now. I still have and drive my Shoebox but haven't done any cruises or shows in prolly 5-6 yrs. And I'm ok with that.
    I'm an outdoors type of guy. I live in the woods when I can, restore forestry tools, cut my own firewood, watch the birds....it's more relaxing than my car hobby has ever been.
    Life's short. Take time to look around.

raven, chryslerfan55, dan31 and 7 others like this.
  28. Hang in there Root! And if you need to chat, just hit me up!!

Hey...a nice vaca in NC usually does the trick!

Prayers, Brother!

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

Oh, trust me. I researched it. But, that opens the door for another project. I am project poor right now.

30. Root, I think we all hit that wall every now and then, if you need to get away from the Hamb for a while do it, but your absence won't go unnoticed.

The bicycle will be good for your health. HRP

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    MO_JUNK, chryslerfan55, Thor1 and 2 others like this.