Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Southeast Gassers 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by southcross2631, Oct 28, 2020.

1. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

loudbang likes this.
  2. 6sally6

6sally6

Prolly a Performer.........RPM!!!! (pretty much a Cobra style copy)
    6sally6

Joe Travers and oldiron 440 like this.
  3. 6sally6

6sally6

Flywheel weight....................There's an interesting subject for this application!
    With just a 7" slick....... maybe a heavy flywheel is not the best choice.
    It's true that a heavy FW helps maintain RPM between shifts but ...a lighter FW could improve 60'times.
    Of course vehicle weight AND (as before) proper chassis reaction play into hook'in & mov'in.
    Not sure if more...or less...... rear gear would work better with a light flywheel........
    comments
    6sally6

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

What type of clutch makes a difference also.

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  5. spanners

spanners

I'm a tradesman Panelbeater/spraypainter, did my apprenticeship back in the mid '70s when most cars were monocoque construction. The first thing when doing major collision repair (remember when cars were actually repaired ) was to ensure all 4 wheels were in alignment. Not on a machine but from underneath with a plumb bob and chalk line. Find corresponding points on the front and rear suspension, drop line and mark the workshop floor with a chalk mark, shift the vehicle out of the way if possible and then chalk line the diagonals and perimeter. If the measurements were within 1/4" diagonally and from front to rear it was fairly good to keep going with repairs. If not a bit more time on the aligning rack.
    My long winded post is to point out if things aren't square underneath, the car is going to want to turn corners all the time. How many times have you followed a vehicle with leaf springs going down the road and the rear end is out of alignment with the front. They look like the rear is trying to overtake the front especially if the rear spring centre bolt is sloppy or broken.
    If constantly changing rear ends and spring packs are you sure everything is squared up?

loudbang and KiWinUS like this.
  6. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is what I was thinking also. Maybe an adjustable Long Style Pressure Plate to soften the hit for a less violent launch? Might be worth a tenth or two on the 60 foot times.

loudbang likes this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If the car hooks the clutch may work fine.

loudbang likes this.
  8. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed. Yet, I was thinking the clutch is working too good. He's already twisted the input shaft and had to replace it and the rear tires get blown off the ground on the launch, causing all kind's of chaos on the line. Was thinking that if he could calm it down a little bit on the hit with a smidge of slippage, the time's would come around. I think Mike's tried every legal rear suspension set-up possible for the class, to no avail. He's running a diaphram clutch, which we all know bites a hellava lot harder than a 3 finger clutch, and with the skinny spec tire's they have to run in the class, a little less driveline shock would be beneficial. Just my backwards way of thinking, not trying to cause a commotion. Mike's very experienced, I'm sure he'll figure it out. He's got the power, he just has to get it to the ground. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

The slapper bars are going back on the car today. I am saving up for a set of double adjustable rear shocks .
    I had not seen this video which gives me something to work with. Thanks for posting it.
    I am calling Spec today and asking about a sintered iron disc to get some slippage in the clutch.
    I have Calvert adjustables on the front. Thinking about taking a half round out of the the front coils to give me more travel.
    The clutch setup I am using is the same setup that was designed for Fox body Mustangs on 275-60 radials with a T5 transmission so it is supposed to have some slip designed into it.
    I am buying some flanges to make up a set of 1 3/4 tubes , but the top running Comet is running 1 5/8 tubes.
    My cubic inches are 333 with a 4.040 bore and 3.25 stroke. The Cobra 4 barrel intake is no better than what I have especially after all of the port work that has been put into this one.
    That video was of my first pass and the car didn't do that the rest of the day and it ran back to back 8.25 and 8.21 . So the performance is repeatable even with the hopping.
    The Pro Maxx heads are only poured off shore ,all machine work and CNC work is done in Alabama.
    Richard Holdner has done a bunch of dyno tests with them and always gains power with them.
    I have been to the Pro Maxx facility and when they replaced the springs and valves with PAC 1225 springs and .100 longer valves I watched the care in which the young man put into building these heads.
    Looking for some decent weather Friday to go test, but that hurricane is supposed to push rain into TN. for the weekend. So maybe next Friday night. I may just have to find a country road somewhere. Won't be the same because of the track prep.

10. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

When you consider the 1967 SS/A record was 11.26 in the quarter, it's a wonder these cars are scooting as fast as they are on 7" slicks. Pushing these things beyond the limits of traction is the test. Simply put, the SEGA class cars are way over-powered for those tires with the horsepower you can make today.

As a long-time Comet freak, I really appreciate this gonzo thread, along with @loudbang's picture contribution. Best stuff on this forum, IMO.

Joe

bchctybob, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  11. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Have you ever seen the stock appearing cars, they run 8 and 9 second 1/4 mile passes on Goodyear poly glass tires.

12. RmK57

RmK57

The traction bars plus the extra 100 lbs. of ballast on the right side may help balance the car out. It's worth trying, not going to cost anything. Didn't see any mention about using an anti-roll bar. Might be something else to explore.

13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Here's another video on sbf dyno time, they switch from 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" headers.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

The 7" tire is the equalizer. Time to hit the Physics books and look at the equations to make this work. In essence, need an engineer buddy to get there sooner than later with minimum outlay. It's all science, brother.

Joe

loudbang likes this.
  15. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I saw a video over the weekend of the yellow mercury that was the champion last year, he doesn't seem to use a high rpm launch .

loudbang likes this.
  16. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

He's running the A/FX traction set-up and rockets out of the hole. First gear in a built Comet is a tire shredder. The 1>2 shift is violent as well. My engine is set up like Mike's but it's tuned for the street. I don't hook it up intentionally. If I did, something would grenade and I don't have the money to fix it right now.

Joe

loudbang likes this.
  17. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Someone said in this thread that he is using the Calvert setup now.

loudbang likes this.
  18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Mark Hackett's yellow Comet is a culmination of a very savvy racer and an excellent mechanic. Yes he has the funds to buy the best parts, but he also has the knowledge to get the most out of those parts.
    He runs the Blue Thunder 2x4 intake and 2 660 Holley carbs and that is part of the reason he pulls so hard. Trust me they have lined me up against him enough because they like to see 2 yellow Comets going at it. I have beaten him off the line. but at the 1-2 shift his motor just pulls away and I watch him get smaller.
    I have much respect for the most of the guys at the top because they have worked hard to get there or they have enough money to pay someone to build their stuff to be on top.

19. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

It's a shame there isn't a larger selection of hi-rise multi-carb intakes for the SBF. You would think there would be, considering how many are built for performance applications. Especially intakes made for Holley carbs. I get it with Edelbrock, they sell carbs too. I guess the bean-counters aren't buying the idea, for whatever reason. Heck, Holley should produce the dang things but they seem much more interested in EFI these days :eek:

Joe

Truckdoctor Andy, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  20. Joe H

Joe H

Ever try a bigger tire on a test and tune night?

loudbang likes this.
  21. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It seams most of the new intakes coming out are efi, Holley has a new tunnel ram for the sbf but it was developed for efi but you can run it with carbs.

loudbang likes this.
  22. 6sally6

6sally6

OK......here's some, "I heard & they say" stuff but it's a serious question.
    The LS1 heads are suppose to fit on SBF's so what about a dual quad intake for an LS1 engine adapted to fit the SBF engine?!
    After market companys ALWAYS manufacture plenty of stuff for Chevy engines (because they are so cheap I guess!?) Do they make a decent intake for the LS1 engine?
    .................Just spitballing guys.........
    6sally6

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

No adapter's. This is a Super / Stock class.

Joe Travers, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  24. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

I was VERY disappointed Tuesday morning when I ordered a rebuild kit for my 4150. It's on backorder!!! :eek:

Joe

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  25. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

If you want to be quick with a diaphragm clutch, look no farther than NMRA's Coyote Stock class. Factory sealed 302ci naturally asperated assembly line crate engines on a spec tune running 9's @ 133 carrying 3000lbs. Every single one of them runs one of my ClutchTamer products to control a diaphragm clutch's hit. There is no diaphragm clutch that can by itself slip enough during launch to keep you at maximum power and still hold high gear, those CS cars dead hook a 7500 launch without pulling below 5500 and often pull 2nd gear with the front wheels in the air. Some guys run sintered iron, some ceramic, some even run organic. It's not the clutch itself that makes a stick car quick, it's what the clutch allows the engine to do. Soft hit from high rpm will keep your engine above it's torque peak without breaking parts. Far more consistent as well, as you are basically tuning the clutch slip for a dead hook hit that suits the engine's power instead of chasing wheelspeed/track conditions to get the slip you need.

There are many class winning Stock and SuperStock racers currently running my 'tamer under NHRA's radar as well, most of them are using it to further loosen up the launch of a SoftLok style clutch. Look for guys that are launching from sky high rpm without tearing up the starting line.

I originally called my device the "Hillbilly Clutch Slipper", 1st version was made from a hydraulic screen door closer i bought at a hardware store. Wish I had invented it 40 years ago!

Grant

AHotRod, bchctybob, Budget36 and 7 others like this.
  26. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Do tell us more about this product I have an afx car that I need some slip to keep the driveline in it I’ve been following along this thread for all the info and issues that have been overcame by just plain Ol ingenuity

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

http://clutchtamer.com/

loudbang, ottoman and Thor1 like this.
  28. southcross2631

southcross2631

I talked to Spec yesterday and they told me to either send them the pressure plate and they would soften the clamping pressure or just use between a .010 and .020 shim between the pressure plate and the flywheel to lessen the hit. Looking for some shim stock now.
    I have heard about your product. I tried to go to your website but my safety on my computer won't let me open it.

Thor1, bchctybob and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  29. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

Most shim the PP until it just barely holds high gear, but even then it's still not soft enough for a good launch due to the different gear ratios involved. That's why they use the 'tamer for launch.

I doubt .010 - .020 worth of shims is going to do much for you unless your disc is almost worn out. Typical diaphragm PP used in CS starts out with about 2200lbs of clamp, shimming .050" gets it down to 1550lbs which is ballpark for about 450ftlbs with a sintered iron disc in high gear. About the thickness of a thin 3/8" flat washer.

Direct URL for the 'tamer website- http://grannys.tripod.com/clutchtamer.html

Grant

Thor1, loudbang and ottoman like this.
  30. southcross2631

southcross2631

I don't question you on your reply. I am just parroting what they told me .
    I am still having issues getting to your website. However I did watch an install video and test.
    One review said he wishes he could defeat your product in the 2-3 and 3-4 shift. Other than that it all gets positive reviews.
    Need to check with our tech people if it is legal to run in our group.
    On another note the School's Out 65 Comet is officially for sale either as a roller or as a turn key car.:(
    We want to start on our 65 Comet altered wheelbase A/FX car and so we can cover part of the cost we must sell the car. It will still be run at some test and tune sessions until it is sold so we can try and improve the performance of the car. If interested PM me.
    I don't want to clutter up this page with a bunch of questions. You have seen the build step by step and know the specs on the motor trans and rear from the build.

brEad, Thor1, bchctybob and 2 others like this.