Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods USA made 12v ON/Off Toggle Automotive Switch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2935ford, Jul 6, 2021.

1. 2935ford

2935ford

Anyone know the whereabouts of one of these?
    All the offshore stuff just plain fails. :(

2. Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  4. 2935ford

2935ford

Thanks all
    pprather....I will try that number here with Napa
    squirrel yes, I agree. sorry, being here in the lonely east coast Canada there is no McMaster or Mouser.
    I try like heck to buy local to avoid the $10 (USD) part having a $40 (USD) shipping fee (ouch!)! :(

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

sorry didn't notice you're in Canada. I have no idea where to buy stuff up there...but the idea being, go somewhere they sell industrial parts, not a chain auto parts store

6. Check out industrial supply places .

lots of good quality switches in different amp ratings.

even princess auto has some heavy dusty toggle switches in the trailer section

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  7. Big truck junk yards

High test 63, Jet96, 302GMC and 3 others like this.
  8. 2935ford

2935ford

VANDENPLAS......Thanks but Princess Auto is where I have purchased what I have (trailer section). All have failed.
    The toggle switch simply breaks from the connection and flops.

9. Look for a good brand in a old box on eBay. A lot of them are low amp ratings, so you might need a relay.

stillrunners and Gasserfreak like this.
  10. Yes, or old defunct firetrucks

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Google Carling bat style toggle switches.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  12. And if the switch is 24 volt, it’s twice as heavy duty :)

13. Justin in PA

Justin in PA

A Cole-Hersee 551800 is a nice, heavy duty SPST switch. If you check on EBay you can usually find an NOS one that was made in the USA. I do believe that the brand new ones are also a quality part but made in Mexico if I remember correctly.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  14. I'll second Cole-Hersee. Another place to check if you have one around is somebody who stocks or can get industrial-rated switches for industrial plants. Places that service electric motors can be another source. If you have a rental outfit locally who rents boom lifts, they may be or know a source.

Do make sure what you get is rated for the amp load. Any switch should be rated for 125% of the connected load unless it's a motor, in which case go for 200%.

VANDENPLAS and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cole Herse toggle switches for the most part are rated at 25 amps for 12V DC
    CHb5.pdf (elecdirect.com)
    You might try a local marine supply.

16. I use aircraft supply places. Aircraft Spruce is my go to source.

Hnstray likes this.
  17. And pay aircraft prices....

sidevalve8ba and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not necessarily. Parts for Certified Category Aircraft, as opposed to Experimental Category Aircraft, have different requirements (sometimes no substantial difference, only the “Certified” paperwork) and parts for the former are often much more costly.

However, Aircraft Spruce and other similar suppliers cater to the Experimental class builders and they offer high quality parts that are not typically in the Certified classification. The Cole-Hersee switch shown in above post would be an example of such a part.

If your local automotive parts supplier or online source offers the Cole-Hersee item or equivalent, by all means use that supplier. My point is merely there are cost effective sources in the Aviation community as well if you know where to look.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    Beanscoot, Jet96 and RJP like this.
  19. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

@anthony myrick is right. -old truck yards have really good switches, (just be sure they haven't been replaced with crappy modern ones :) They also have really good breakers...

anthony myrick likes this.
  20. Thanks. I get tired of having to explain my responses all the time. OP asked for a source. I offered one. Simple as that. Building an Experimental Aircraft is a lot like building a hotrod, but without the safety net of the emergency lane on side of the road to pull over to.

21. Budget36

Budget36

My thoughts too. Still have panels I took out of trucks for gauges and switches and use them now and then.

anthony myrick likes this.
  22. 5window

5window

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021