Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lipstick on a pig

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chessterd5, Mar 30, 2021.

1. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Nah, he's just jealous! Lol.
    I hope to start working on mine again soon. It's only taken a lifetime. ☺

X-cpe likes this.
  2. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

"It happens" - Forrest G.

3. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Thank you!!! Yes, he's jealous. He may also fear that the car is better looking than he is, too.

Got some work in on the gray car. Damn Sam, it's a metric shittonne of rust. More siezed stuff than you can shake a stick at. Even the carb has frozen linkage. It's marinating in Diesel Sauce as I type this. Most dismantling has been done with a grinder and a reciprocating saw at this point.

Speaking of, I wager the engine is stuck. Any anti-stick recipes out there???

4. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I would pull the spark plugs and start squirting a mixture of ATF and marvel mystery oil into the cylinders and let it sit.
    Then turn it over by hand with a breaker bar Slowly both directions with the spark plugs OUT. That may free things up to move and with the spark plugs OUT, it will push the excess out without hydrolocking the pistons.

5. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Yeah, plugs out, like a compression test. Being as it's a flathead and vertical (straight 8), I was wondering about the Secret Sauce running down an open exhaust valve. I was thinking about pulling the head, since it's going to come off at some point anyway.

Someone suggested half diesel and half ATF, and someone else suggested half ATF and half acetone. I'm using that in my still-stuck engine. Four and Eight won't give it up. Makes me begin to wonder if it's something mechanical, but we'll see, I reckon.

I need to take-n-post more pictures.

6. Budget36

Budget36

Guys on FordBarn swear by a mixture of Acetone and ATF. I’m convinced too ( but never tried it) because Mr Google brought up the best penetrating concoctions, WD40, PB Blaster, etc and the afore mention mix. Acetone and ATF won out. Just what I recall, again never had to try it. But see what Google turns up for you.

7. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

I'm down with ATF-n-acetone.

And patience . . . .

No, wait, I lied. :D

Budget36 likes this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Well, if ya pour it out on rolling papers and… oh wait. @hotrodjack33 has to take it from here…

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL...finally a subject that I'm well versed in:D
    zzig1.jpg

41 GMC K-18 and Budget36 like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

L
    M
    A
    O

Effing Jack

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  11. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

64718332074__9FEC198D-725D-4B34-B1DA-F4B6F79914F7.jpg Silly feckers.

I knew I liked it here for some reason or another.

BTW, Fred the Barn Cat sez hello.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    Greenblade, 41 GMC K-18 and Stogy like this.
  12. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Parts cars is trying to kick my hindparts on the demo bits. Between that and being all manner of busy at work, it's taking longer than it has a right to. :rolleyes:

13. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Anything new?

14. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Good lord, man, yes!!! Wat has put some miles on the tow vehicle (need to get a better one next truck purchase) and have hauled home lots for Fred to peruse.

I'll reply with more later, and pictures, too.

Anything new with you???

15. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Not really.
    I have done some work on the front axle and I am planning out the steering.

dana barlow likes this.
  16. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Cool. Have fun and be careful.

I had a chance to score a rare one, which means I'm kind of obligated to the Gods of Rarity to keep pretty much to original specs. It's a 1947 Packard 2125, which is to say that it's the Custom Super Clipper Club Sedan (two-door). "They" say - you know "they", right? - that there are maybe 20 of these things remaining., and maybe not quite that many. Called a "gentleman's hot rod" by some, it was likely the fastest car outta Detroit in 1947. I like that, and I like the way it looks, and it's going to be some work, but I have assembled enough parts to put it together. And enough left over to build a (couple of, maybe) warmed-over coupe on the short wheelbase.

Work has moved me a couple of states away, and this isn't on a definite time-frame, so it's likely to be awhile before I can get much going. But I did bring a correct big engine home with me to begin to figure out how to build these monsters.

Here's the big boy all loaded in Indiana and ready to head for Points South:

Attached Files:

17. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Oh! That's nice! Me like!

18. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Thank you!!! Me, too, obviously enough. A guy I met this summer was selling an "accumulation" of 1947s and he did like the Godfather - he made me an offer I don't refuse. So I took some money from my kid's inheritance and squandered it on 74-year-old cars. All of which need help. Some more than others. The landlady and Fred are watching out for the coven of cars while I'm over here on this assignment.

Last week, my son made partner at the accounting firm where he works, so he's not going to need a nickel from Dear Ol' Dad.

19. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

20. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

I am kind of using this new work assignment as a small break from cars. I'm doing some research and pondering which route I want to take with which car. I want one of them to be a driver, first off. This I feel.

AndersF likes this.
  21. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Excellent plan!

22. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Thanks. It'll have to do until something else comes along . . . .

23. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

24. A local hot rodder once told me if you keep working on it until it's perfect, you'll never get to drive it. Sage advice.

AHotRod, hotrodjack33 and chessterd5 like this.
  25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AndersF and chessterd5 like this.
  26. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Thanks. The hard part was that all I have is a welder, a grinder, and some hand tools. I had to build the doors piece by piece in the door jambs as a jig.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  27. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

28. manyolcars

manyolcars

I think guys like the junkier cars because they can imagine what they would do to fix it the way they want it

29. sololobo

sololobo

My hotrod heydays were mid 50's to the early 70's. All our stuff was junkyard builds and way cool. I am still so stuck on traditional styles I have to be careful not to say caustic things about the new big-wheeled and rat-rodded stuff of today.

SlamIam and chessterd5 like this.
  30. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Okie Pete, Hamtown Al and AndersF like this.