Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical C1 Corvette Axle Bearings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Jul 3, 2021.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Going to replace the rear axle bearings in my 1956 Vette. Looks like they are different from 1957-? Wonder why, thought all the drop out rears were the same. Did the '56 full size also differ?

Screenshot 2021-07-03 6.22.36 AM.png

2. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, they used a few different bearings, and some other parts changed over the years, also

saltracer219 and blowby like this.
  3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

FWIW the axle retainers plates are different also. I have a bunch of axles I believe are 55-56 and the retainer plate is shaped like a cup that goes over the bearing and the 57 style have a more flat retainer plate.

Pat

blowby likes this.
  4. 55-56 are smaller O.D.
    57-62 are larger.

mgtstumpy and blowby like this.

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks guys, I'll get them ordered. The book lists a special puller, can I get the old bearings off in a press with a clam shell behind the retainer plate?

6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

It's tough but people have done it. Be careful it may deform the retainer plate. If you cut off the locking ring first it will make it easier.

Pat

Hnstray, X-cpe and blowby like this.
  7. oldolds

oldolds

As other guys said 55 and 56 were smaller. We always used the torch to take them off and a piece of pipe to bang them on. It has been over 20 years since I did one. But we did lots before that.

blowby likes this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, back in my old service station days we would lay the axle on its side with the bearing on something solid, put a rag over the bearing (to keep flying shrapnel from getting ya) and hit the outer race with a hammer, this will break the race, then we would drive the inner off with an air chisel (careful not to slip off the race and gouge the axle). then put the new one on with a pipe... did hundreds of them this way....

mgtstumpy likes this.