Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Southeast Gassers 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by southcross2631, Oct 28, 2020.

1. rlsteel

rlsteel

Mike I LIKE fe MOTORS ALOT but You are going to need deep pockets to run one.I will say there are some good fe forums with a lot of smart people on them

Thor1 likes this.
  2. 6sally6

6sally6

Yeah............sump'in about an FE when they fire-up that brings a big grin to my big face!!
    Might be when I was a teen back in the 60's and that was the combo to battle the Hemi!!
    I was finally proud to be a Ford guy when the tunnel port......high riser....medium riser...side oiler made their appearance. The cammer was fast breathing and tight pants time.....fer sure!!!!!
    60 years later and it still 'does-it' fer me!!!!!(too)
    6sally6

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

There are quite a few Fords running SS at sega, if a 352 FE was the answer someone else would already be on it.

AHotRod likes this.
  4. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

If you can bore it .080 over and slap on a pair of CJ heads, you got something. Had a pair of CJ heads for 390 many years ago. Big thumper cam ta boot. Now we talking.

Joe

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  5. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

Two questions why 0.080 and what was a cj 390

6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've raced with a few FE racer's in the past and unless they had the good parts, read that as expensive, they were also rans. If he can't spend money now what would change? The W motor has all the aftermarket you could want plus there is plenty of used parts available. I see him needing 600 hp and I have not seen that in the average FE on race day. Sure there's FEs that run but they run on big money.
    Figure out equal FE and W motors then put dollar numbers on each and go from there.
    I'd love to have a 427 in my Fairlane, I'd start with a new Roush block. But the piggy bank says NO.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    AHotRod and Thor1 like this.
  7. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

0.080 over on 352 is 0.030 over 390 bore (4.08"). It will unshroud the big valves in the CJ heads.

Joe

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

The basic bottom end doesn't scare me about an FE. It's the top end where the power and the dollars come in. The valve train to live at 8,000 rpm's will require lightweight $$ parts.
    Does anyone have any experience with the new Pro Maxx FE heads ?

Thor1 likes this.
  9. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

No experience but looking @ flow charts. The 170 flows a tad better than the CJ. The 200 is a whopper.

Joe

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Just a renamed Chinese part.

428kidd and loudbang like this.
  11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I knew a guy who ran a 460 in a 66 fairlane but it ran a flying toilet on alky. Ran damn good. I unerstand you can't do that but.. Lippy

loudbang and oldiron 440 like this.
  12. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Oh, I like the 460, strong block and great head availability =1000 hp NA
    Just say'n

loudbang likes this.
  13. So i gotta ask, what do you race? You always have a comment, are you in the Sega series?

bchctybob and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Lloyd I raced my wife to the fridge for the last piece of chocolate pie. I let her have it though. Well, you know why. lol:D

Thor1 and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  15. Lol crazy ass, I'd just took the pie lol.

I met Mike, no bullshit, no nonsense man. Told me he was 70 years old, which i still don't believe, still dragging that hotrod up and down the highway, busting gears on the track, and having a good time. Win or lose, he's not on the computer flapping his grocery grinders, he's still out there racing. I respect that, and I'm also a little jealous. Hell I'll be lucky to live that long.

16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Yeah Lloyd, you would have just took the pie! LOL Your a liar! I know, I know, Your the king of the castle, your in charge, Now go finish doing those dishes. Thats what I tell all my buddies. I'm the king of this castle! Gotta go I got dishes to do. Lmao. Your still a young man Lloyd. I wish I was still racing. :)

Thor1 likes this.
  17. I wear the pants in my house buddy, whichever pants she tells me to wear ;)

Thor1 likes this.
  18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Lloyd I've never met you but somehow I think I know you. LOL:)

Thor1 and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  19. southcross2631

southcross2631

If you guys would stop arguing over the last piece of pie and read my posts you will find in there where I just said until I get the front half of the track figured out that there is no sense for me to get under the hood to change the power that I have.
    Right now testing is all I am going to do as soon as I replace my rear shocks with a pair of shocks that can control the rear end and get my 60 ft. times down another tenth or two . When I figure that out. My top end times will start to come down as well.
    Low 1.50's will put me in the game off the line then hitting all of my shift points will help some more. Then we can open the hood and start hinting for power.
    I probably won't run another SEGA race until the one in Knoxville in September.

bchctybob, ottoman, rlsteel and 12 others like this.
  20. In the past I’ve definitely been in a position racing where we were out spent and out run. Gets old after awhile. Heads up racing is expensive. Really enjoy southcross2361’s passion and determination. Getting the best results possible with what you have is very satisfying. Don’t really think much about wins and losses now, just the old friends and great times I had running on different pig path drag strips in the Carolinas. Give it hell Mike.

bchctybob, Thor1, Joe Travers and 3 others like this.
  21. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Talking FE heads again.......
    Looking @ flow chart for the Trick Flow Powerport 175. Kicks butt on those PRO Maxx 200s. TF is king cheese.
    They may become available by the time you make a decision in the future. I think we are having big problems in the country now sourcing aluminum. Last year certainly didn't help matters. Manufacturing is lagging big time.

Joe

428kidd, AHotRod, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  22. AHotRod

AHotRod

Sorting a Stocker / Super Stocker chassis is a challenge.
    I saw where the latest S/S Winner ( Chevy II SBC ) qualified in the 6.80's.
    Looks like he has his chassis sorted pretty well.

You have the desire, passion and work ethic Mike, you'll get it sorted.
    SEGA Rules !

Truckdoctor Andy, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

He just reset the record. I would say he has more than his chassis sorted out.

24. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Yes he is spending money with a couple of NHRA Stock/Super Stock guys. And stick racers to boot.

48fordnut, AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  25. southcross2631

southcross2631

Have to work this weekend. Next Friday I will be going to Crossville to test some ideas to pick up some speed in the School's Out car.

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The F.E. build I have working on we went with BBM heads and intake.

loudbang, oldiron 440 and Thor1 like this.
  27. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

That should take it up a level or ten...
    Must have found the money tree...

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  28. 6sally6

6sally6

How hard was it to mak'em fit? Do they have the same bore spacing?!!
    6sally6

Thor1 likes this.
  29. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Thor1 and loudbang like this.