Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tired of homogenized hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

b1bc837d468b2127f56421326bea00a2.jpg

:rolleyes:...Nice Inspiration to past Excellence...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

2. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

5B139482-4A12-4070-B2D6-727CCF1117DC.jpeg A Hamber but I can't remember who...

3. SR100

SR100

Stogy, @Marty Strode is restoring it. I can't wait to see it.

Jet96 and Stogy like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah I thought I remembered him mentioning it...when he was winding up a recent build he said he had a real neat build coming up and I thought it was going to be this one...but it was not...maybe it's next in line, not that a late 50s early 60s Hotrod Olds powered Deuce Roadster isn't prime Hamb material...there was an ad for that Fiat but I lost it in my many tabs...

http://davidsclassiccars.com/ford/2...ster-body-1932-grill-rat-custom-scta-vtg.html

:rolleyes:...found it...:)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    brady1929 likes this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sleeper...fastest and most gnarly banger imitator around...that's gotta get the Ole jaws dropping...might it be @wood remover's​

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    Jet96 and brady1929 like this.
  6. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Buzzin' Full Dozen there!

Stogy and anthony myrick like this.
  7. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

@Jet96 That's a 703 CI. GMC with two sets of 305 GMC v6 heads on it.

8. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

@Speed Gems -yessir I 've seen a few on pumps over the years..

9. A Boner

A Boner

10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-7-1_4-38-30.png
    Hello,

We have seen plenty of lakes pipes headers on open roadsters and coupes. It was a throwback to the look from old hot rods racing back then on the dry lakes. The fastest and most efficient way to make the exhaust exit. Those pipes had a purpose.
    upload_2021-7-1_4-39-47.png
    The styles are varied and the general set are individual pipes leading into a collector of some kind. From there, it has multiple choices as we have seen in those street versions. Now, the purpose of the headers was for exhaust exiting as fast as possible on the dry lakes and at the drags.

But, as racing innovations come into play, the street version of the same style header system fights back with a vengeance. Tuning, replacing spark plugs, and overall engine work at the racing pits is still hindered until the header system is cooled down, for fear of burns.

On the street version, the in and out of daily management of the motor and tuning has the same consequences. If the hot rod is in a car show or just even parked on a street, the danger lurks and often a bad situation gets worse.

For the occupants of the roadster or coupe, care is to be taken in the entry and exit of the doors.

Jnaki
    upload_2021-7-1_4-41-55.png
    So, the trend for safety and smooth styling is/are the individual header pipes coming out, but going downward, running along the body lines below the door jams. That way, they still have the style and there is no longer a danger of leg burns or melted clothing.
    upload_2021-7-1_4-42-15.png
    Back in the photo shoot days, we came across plenty of individual header systems and most were stylish in design.
    upload_2021-7-1_4-43-11.png
    When the motor installed has equal distance exhaust ports, the individual header pipes taken on the smooth design parameters. The T-Bucket roadster of Fred Castro had the design down pat. The flow of the header pipes were bent smoothly and ran in parallel to the roadster body.
    upload_2021-7-1_4-43-53.png

Despite what we see as lakes pipes header system in the various photos and posts, there are some who go to lengths to follow the smooth flowing design to match the roadster or coupe body lines in their builds. YRMV

upload_2021-7-1_4-47-12.png

11. Rene Lussier at the door of his car, The Ice Box.

63fdsnr and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy likes this.
  13. 215 Buick powered. built by Mark Van Acker, formerly of New Jersey, he now lives in Pennsylvania.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20210629_055337.jpg

:rolleyes:...Well @jnaki I get confused with pipe names many times especially the Lakes pipes as I believe the Long pipes that run alongside the Customs with the capped end are known as Lake...perhaps that's the difference Lakes versus Lake...

I get the Hot reference as they DO get incredibly hot and anyone running them has gained an incredible respect for them...guaranteed...:eek:

I often wonder if the style of Speedshop Lakes I'm running were copies of pipes available in 1963...I believe they are... created in tribute to the Driveshaft Tube Originals by the earlier Hotrod crowd...

I was scolded once by a fella at a cruise who said I should stay with the Coupe till the pipes cool down making sure kids don't try to grab and hug them...to my credit I do mention to anyone there as I leave to snoop to mind the engine and pipes as they are very Hot...My opinion is parents have to monitor their Younguns...not Stogy...actually touching in general is a Faux pas...to date my Hotrod has not injured anyone that I'm aware of...:)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nick, thank's for connecting the Dots on some these Ole Hotrods...what's really cool is you grew up around these in the good Ole days...like all the years in the Hotrod evolution the Late 50s and early 60s were hugely influential and incredibly awesome for Style and nailing The Look...

brady1929 likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

800px-Ed-seltzer-1929-ford-hot-rod6.jpg

:rolleyes:...The Ed Seltzer Roadster...Quite the Looker...

OLLIN, cactus1, chevyfordman and 10 others like this.
  17. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

Ed built a roadster that is a little different. Different is good in this case.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I wonder if these were playmates?
    1920s_motorcycle_chariot.jpg

HarryT, stanlow69, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is no question that there are very fertile minds that can pull just about anything out of the hat and generate something that would put Ben out in the lead...T-riffic...:D

Better get some wheelie bars on it...:eek:

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

007-1963-indoor-car-shows-bay-area-northern-california-.jpg

:rolleyes:...Looks like a Roy Desbrow Inspiration in a very good way...AND canted Quads that even look the Hotrod part...light and old cars are a many Splendored thing...

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think by the Story this was what Ed Aquired and he took it to another period level that was well done but I prefer the iteration prior to the rework below...

1929 Ford Model A Roadster hot rod Ed Seltzer RF view.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-in-1954-in-california.1228872/#post-14048437

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Kenny_Smith's_1929_Ford

:rolleyes:...This was Ed's major rework in the mid 50s after a serious accident heavily damaged it...

His Grandson a Hamber is trying to find it...as I type...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    OLLIN, Jet96, chevyfordman and 2 others like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1pipes1.jpg

Shared by @loudbang in the Altered Thread, this is quite a radical Mopar and a trendsetter for the groundscraping generations that have followed...I have always enjoyed the mixing of Blackwalls and www's on Hotrods giving the unbuttoned ready to get down n' dirty...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8397205053_5be5960d48_b.jpg

:rolleyes:...I'll bet it is a Red Rocket...:)

Jim Bouchard, HarryT, Jet96 and 4 others like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:...Inspired by...

That Lanky Vintage Dry Lakes Roadster 3 back is perhaps part of the inspiration being a track nose...and of course T-Roadster and Sprint and Big Car racing...

Jim Bouchard, GuyW, HarryT and 6 others like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

dsc07705-edit_orig.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/isky-roadster-at-speedway-museum.1234279/

The Art of Hotrod...That are Kinda Unique for so many awesome reasons...

Ed was Celebrated the other day and @denis4x4 has a Thread trending on the Occasion and of course Eds Hotrod being given a spot in the Legends of Hotrod and Motorsport...give it a good used tire and some period air...:oops:

Congrats and Thanks Ed for providing the fuel for our fire...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Love that car!!! Are those whitewalls painted? I sure hope they are. :)

Stogy likes this.
  27. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

Timeless

Stogy likes this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My favorite picture of them, Full of attitude! image.jpeg

OLLIN, Jim Bouchard, Jet96 and 3 others like this.