Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Function, Form & Full Fenders

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Jun 25, 2021.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Function, Form & Full Fenders

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

AHotRod, KKrod, catdad49 and 14 others like this.
  2. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

The stance , dark paint with white chop top really stands out, along with the rest of the features

Stogy likes this.
  3. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

That car is so spot on! I wonder if Bob knows whatever happened to it? My current favorite new-build roadster with fenders is Steelsmith's car out of Indy. That thing is just as bitchin' as this one!

Stogy likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ticks all my boxes...and it has the nastiness fully evidenced...I'm sure the sound would have been the icing on the cake...

Thanks for sharing @J.Ukrop

High test 63 likes this.

5. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I've always been addicted to horsepower, and a no BS attitude when putting a car together. The look of that roadster just reeks of " get out of my way".

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Yup, black lacquer, jacked up with fat tires. I love it!

upload_2021-6-26_8-8-51.png

catdad49, 1929rats, wicarnut and 4 others like this.
  7. goldmountain

goldmountain

Time to find those fenders, Joey.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Makes me want to get back on my Roadster Pickup, black, quickchange, rear tires sticking out of the fenders !

9. lake_harley

lake_harley

Nearing the finish line with my Model A Coupe build, and had thought I'd move on to build the other Model A Coupe I had, but do it fenderless. But, a while back I started having visions of a more refined rebuild of the Coupe I have in the works now, even though it's not even on the road yet. I sold the 2nd Model A a few days ago and this thread is just reinforcing the idea of the rebuild, graceful Model A fenders and all. :D Might drive Coupe #1 for a while before any rebuild, even though it's quite tame (2.5L Iron Duke) and has it's share of warts.

Lynn

Curious if some computer wizard could zoom in to read the year of the license plate on the black roadster? I think it would be a sticker in the upper right corner of the plate.

20210622_133701.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    catdad49, wicarnut and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plate resolution is poor when you zooma zooma...:oops:

20210626_224400.jpg

20210626_224315.jpg

Missouri and the Plate # is about it...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  11. loudbang

loudbang

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Hey your zooms bigger than my zoom...my smart phone might be smart but I sure ain't...:D...65 sounds right and the Rubber is bangon!!!

@J.Ukrop congrats on the Zine Scene...both right up your alley...;)

loudbang likes this.
  13. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd also like to know what's in the car's reflection in the second photo - looks like something with a chrome tube bumper.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Looks like it’s got the spare tire on the front. Nice hotrod anyway.

hendrcs likes this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Full fenders always have the stance looking sharp. With the fenders, it looks like it is going to sweep away the competition. Add in those wide slicks and that means business. No one used wide slicks unless they are showing some power behind the hood to back up the countless challenges that the wide slicks will bring or actually brought to the next stop light. Of course, the fill the diameter of the fender opening with big tires is a trend that continues to this day. "Bigs and littles" are a part of the hot rod scene.
    upload_2021-7-11_3-57-8.png
    Running with slicks is possible on the normal streets and highways. Back then the streets were not grooved and water always stayed on top of any grime, oil or just stuff, causing a slick surface. If the speed it not too fast, the slicks will add the braking of the front brakes to be able to come to a complete stop.

The sight of slicks under a sedan or on a roadster is part of the bravado in hot rodding. Cruising around takes a little longer with the slower speeds, but when a challenge or two pops up at the next light or in the next drive-in parking lot, you are ready. But, most of the time, the sight of slicks is enough for others to back away from any defeat as a drag race ready car sitting next to you.

When I drove my 58 Chevy Impala around with the Bruce Slicks in the back, they fit like a charm and gave me an advantage on the surface streets. No one noticed until we were sitting in the parking lot. Then the sound of the motor, the Racer Brown Cam sticker and the C&O Stick Hydro sticker was warning enough that this Impala was all business. Intimidation in all forms gives any advantage always.
    upload_2021-7-11_3-58-27.png
    Some times, it was just easy to drive home with the slicks on the back, after a full day of racing and have the stock tires in the trunk or back seat. Then the cruise action was a simple action for the next Friday night.

Jnaki

I am sure the sight of the wide slicks and polished mag wheels would give anyone a second doubt as to the possibility of an encounter or two.

16. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

I always liked the look of a set of piecrust slicks on the early fendered cars. Im stuck in the 60s and 70s

17. Rand Man

Rand Man

Full fenders work for me. I thought about switching to some early Mags and pie crusts.

Attached Files:

Shadow Creek likes this.