Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Who is building a new custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Squablow

Squablow

You have a '52 Ford with a chopped Mercury roof on it? Is there a build thread of that, or any pictures? I'd really like to see what that looks like. Does it have the split windshield, or the one piece '52 windshield? Sounds wild.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The plan is in place and I have most of the parts on hand but with no shop to work in it is a challenge.
    Admittedly there are times I think that I'd like to have a mild custom shoebox/53 Ford to stick my flathead in and not get very carried away with the mods. More of what guys drove in the 50's early 60's that was just nosed, decked, a bit of chrome removed and a bit of chrome trim changed. Then lowered with whitewalls and hubcaps and a presentable but not over the top paint job.

54delray likes this.
  3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I would like to see pics of the full floating console.

54delray and loudbang like this.
  4. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great thread..bitter sweet...customs are a blessing to the world..art is important..great discoveries were made by artists ....be proud....hug a custom car builder...go head you know you wanna....

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Here ya go...
    IMG_0899.JPG

Front, attached to dash...

IMG_0900.JPG

Rear...note vents...blows thru the console from the dash...

IMG_0901.JPG

How it looks between the seats toward the rear...

R-

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  6. Now that is cool (slight pun intended) and unusual. Nicely done!

7. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking for a spot to store this.. for sale though I’d like to build it ...

Attached Files:

8. I know what I am looking at. I know the top of the door is not on that car yet.:rolleyes:
    I'm not the one who drew a red line suggesting the rear window opening should line up with the door top!!!
    No the door top is not on, but the line was drawn to where the door top would be!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    54delray likes this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

10. It has to do with the difference in the side trim between the '55/56 Fairlanes (this isn't a Victoria-only feature). While the trim is similar, there are detail differences. The '55 trim where it 'wraps' up onto the front fender stops just short of extending onto the bezel, and the bezel has a chrome die-cast eyebrow as seen in the post. The '56 trim extends onto the bezel with a small die-cast chrome piece to 'finish' the trim, but the bezel no longer has the eyebrow. Both the '55 and '56 Fairlane bezels are year-specific and die-cast in such a way that you can't interchange trim. The '55/56 Mainline and Customline also use die-cast bezels, will interchange between years and will physically fit a Fairlane, but have no provisions for the Fairlane trim as-cast. I'm pretty sure that the chrome trim for the '55/56 Fairlane bezels is being reproduced, but not the bezels.

11. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

So I’ve been wanting to build my 50 Shoebox into a mild early 50’s custom for a while now, 13ish years.

My plans are
    50 Stude Truck headlights
    ‘49 Ford park lights, filled in
    Henry J grill mod on my grill- think opposite of the 51 grill modifications
    Peaked hood, rounded corners
    Smoothed body seams
    Chopped
    Visor
    MAYBE a Carson style top
    Frenched antennas
    Sit it real low
    Full interior, finished trunk
    Paint it peridot green and maybe a cream color.

You guys tell me what you think of my ideas

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I'd be hot on to doing a custom again,if I came some how on too a 50/51 Henry J, I could get for little to nothing,like with bad messed up roof an floors,I don't needs those anyway or bumper n grill<no tail light in tips of rear fenders type< I would need model before with only tiny round rear lights. The biggist prob too is piggy bank for that is under $400 now. Point is,yes,I'd do a custom again,a exact clone of what I did in 1960.< as that one was stolen and destroyed in 64 by some ashole that was never caught. CarCraft J 1963.jpg

13. Noah*

Noah*

I finished my custom 1950 Chevy truck a year ago, just started on a 1928 Model A 60's Show Rod

Attached Files:

14. oldsman41

oldsman41

I’m not building a new one but I’m refreshing my 51 merc, which will probably end up being a full blown build. Just can’t help myself

OG lil E, 54delray and loudbang like this.
  15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

17. cretin

cretin

Not currently, but once I get a garage rebuilt I intend to get started on one of my dream customs. A '36 Ford 3 Window coupe. She has been trough some rough times, but there is a vision. It was pretty rusty when I got it, but there is alot of custom work planned, so it wasn't a big deal. But then more work was added after it came off the trailer when I was bringing it home. Then more work added once again when it survived a wildfire this past August. But the vision remains!
    I plan on a Westerguard inspired custom with some other touches I'm not quite ready to talk about yet.

Here is my original post about the car, which has not been updated with the fire info, which I'm going to update now.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/made-a-deal-for-my-dream-car-36-ford-3-window.1033376/

And here are the photos of when I picked up the car, it on the side of the road where it came free, and the only photo I have of it after the fire. It has a spare 5W roof sitting on the front of it, so you really just see the half burnt cover and the white roof insert from the 5W roof.

IMG_7003.JPG

IMG_7004.JPG

IMG_1742(1).JPG

There is a part of me that's a little concerned about getting it on the road at this point. Maybe I'll have to name it the "Calamity Coupe" or something.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  18. Pat Ganahl posted his latest blog (https://patganahl.com/2021/07/26/unreal-auto-art/) this morning about a new custom being built. It belongs to automotive artist Charlie Smith of Kansas City. A really nice article on a really great person.
    I've been building this for a few years, most evenings and weekends. I can't tell or show you all of the changes until it's done. But I can tell every panel has had something done to it. Inside ,outside, underneath, on top and both ends.
    [​IMG]

19. 56MercMan

56MercMan

I think mine fits the "Custom" name even though it is one of those dreaded 4 doors. OH NO!

My dads 1956 Mercury.
    Plans:
    Lowered
    nosed
    decked
    Not sure if shaving door handles or not yet...
    Frenched antennae moved to the back quarter panel (leaned back???)
    Lee Bubble tail lenses (Installing now)
    Skirts (I have both stock and fox craft)
    Wide whitewall tires
    Stock 56 hubcaps (Or 54 Merc since I have a set)
    Eventually:
    Paint (Factory off white and Lauderdale blue)
    Some tasteful pin striping
    Interior
    trunk done with panels to match interior
    chrome redone
    stainless fixed/polished

Fixed.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  20. Just needs chrome, paint and upholstery

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  21. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I’m building my first custom, a ‘48 Ford convertible. I drive a couple of mild customs , but this is my first all in custom build.
    Chopped folding top
    Completely smoothed and decked rear
    Custom grill
    Molded rear fenders
    May mold the front fenders and radius/blend the hood to flow better where it meets the front fenders.
    Frenched headlights
    Radiused corners on deck lid.
    Lowered, modified rear crossmember by unboxing it so spring fits inside.

Link to the build thread is in my signature. (Hope it still works)

it was a real rust bucket, so most of my time has been consumed with rust repair.

will also teach myself how to sling lead with this build.

13E34DF0-187D-4578-ABB6-6A09B2E3050A.jpeg C4EB049B-088E-4BF4-ABC5-901DA0C921FD.jpeg 43F00C0A-56E2-4F34-AE8D-33421E9C2654.jpeg

Barn Hunter, Sancho, loudbang and 8 others like this.
  22. Dana, the auction here on the HAMB for the man who passed away recently has a Henery J like your, with the top cut off, for sale, might even be your old one.

OG lil E and 54delray like this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Slaymaker was the name. . The auction was last weekend. The car you are speaking of was a Kaiser. @dana barlow

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    OG lil E and 54delray like this.
  24. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Getting there.

Attached Files:

loudbang and OG lil E like this.
  25. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my 51 has been transitioning for about 25 years from street racer into becoming a mild kustom. It has had a hemi since the sixties. The transition is close to done, but I haven’t finished all my laminated plastic knob and bezels and I am building a 54 Buick styled banjo steering wheel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. mikeyjoe

mikeyjoe
    from DETROIT

Royalshifter likes this.
  27. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

Keep up the good work. It may take awhile? But your on to a good thing.

loudbang likes this.
  28. I am in the process of refreshing a 1956 Ford Fairlane mild kustom that was built back around 2000. It was purchased from the builder in 2014 and never saw much upkeep, when I bought it this past September it was in need of a lot of mechanical work. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

All badges and door handles had been removed, shaved '55 hood and a '55 rear bumper were installed, Mercury Turnpike Cruiser skirts were added as well as a pair of "dummy spots". Rear was lowered with 3" blocks but front was left with stock springs. Body was sprayed with a yellow primer/sealer and the top was left with the original "Fiesta Red". Interior was reupholstered in the original pattern in red roll and pleat cloth and black vinyl. All this was done by the original owner.

Most of the work that I have done to it has been mechanical but I have added a few appearance items also, chrome wheels and 1960 Dodge Dart tail lights on the exterior and on the inside, repairing the warped door panels and replacing the worn out carpeting as well as installing new side glass. 59.JPG 60.JPG 61.JPG 62.JPG

Future plans are to install...
    Aerostar front springs
    '55 Plymouth grille
    Frenched '55/'56 Mercury station wagon tail lights
    Frenched antenna
    Lake pipes
    Paint the lower body a gloss white
    Either re-paint the top "Fiesta Red" or a Red Metal Flake
    White tuck n roll interior

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    UNSHINED 2, Squablow, Dan Hay and 7 others like this.
  29. I guess we are sort of building a mild custom pickup. Shaving all the un-needed stuff on the outside, lowering it, will do some custom painting, etc. before it is all done. Trying to make it look like some body shop owner bought a brand new pu in 63 and then customized it some to show off his capabilities and used it as a shop truck.

IMG_2644[1].JPG

30. Looks good, I dig the Dodge tail lights.

loudbang likes this.