Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest I might have a lead on a new Hamb friendly ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Jun 19, 2021.

1. 7D7B21EC-6E24-4937-B1DC-0147FD8E97C1.jpeg EE548710-F8D5-4CE6-AAC0-8E094FC3427B.jpeg 84465F5E-D044-4450-9FCE-3FF362712DD5.jpeg 7BA98A48-A875-47AE-8470-D57A49E4B5CF.jpeg A3AEB557-01ED-4304-B6A2-A6273D09B787.jpeg 10CC10BF-B75B-4189-9933-4F1A921552A5.jpeg

just spoke with the owner, good runner, new interior , the trunk lid has rust, previous owner had a continental kit and just bondoed over the holes so it’s starting to rust.

comes with a ton of extra parts.

The brake booster has failed and needs to be rebuilt according to the owner.

looks like a bendix remote booster if some kind, I can’t find any real info on it, can I just switch it back to the stock master or a new booster master set up?

anything I should know about this car ?

I do know the brakes can be tricky to set up if you don’t know what your doing but I have no experience with a 50’s Chrysler v8 and push button trans.

parts availability etc.

I had a 53 Windsor with a flathead 6 and semi auto and it was a fantastic car and parts where dirt cheap, interior and body parts where not available but everything mechanical was cheap

Any help would be great.

I think cleaning up the front a bit and a lowering job it would make a neat cruiser.

price is right and it would get me out of my mustang !

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

She looks like a dandy to me !

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. I was expecting to see spark plug wires vanishing into the center of the rocker covers. ;)

Truckedup, King ford, fauj and 3 others like this.

4. I wish , that and a 2 door !!

but I got a handle on this one …… maybe .

5. [QUOTE
    price is right and it would get me out of my mustang ![/QUOTE]
    That would be a nice car to compliment your mustang. Not everything has to be HAMB friendly:D

quick85, fauj, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  6. Your right @scotty t the mustang was on my high school bucket list. It’s a super fun car. But I dunno it’s just not quite the same as an old jalopy !! Lol

the smell the lack lustre braking and slush box trannies maybe I love automotive history or maybe I’m a sucker for punishment!! Lol

I just love me 50’s era cruisers , no need to go fast, just need to get there while sitting in the living room sofa !!

so what all any one got to say about this era Chrysler as far as reliability and parts what to look out for etc .

7. I wish i could be of some help on the mopar, but my only experience is my 48 P15. It is nice to have a variety of fun cars tho.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

"typewriter drive of the future"

9. It's still a dodge !!! Ballist resister or dogs pissing on the wheels and and not starting because it is wet !!!!

thintin, anothercarguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I worked on this model when I was an apprentice. My boss (Red Mayfield) said these cars could put us out of business, with their reliability...
    But! A number of them (new!) came with distributor caps with no 1/8" hole in them.
    A surefire method to condense and not start...Must have drilled 50 of 'em, that was in Santa Clara, 'pre-silicon days'.
    I recall superb "full time power steering", as advertised. Also power brakes that could slide you through the bottom of a lap belt...but Mostly, the tightness in the drive train. NO 'gear backlash', these cars were just that: Tight.
    Always impressed me, way ahead of the Ford/GM models.
    But I loved the Fords...:rolleyes:

11. @Moriarity
    :rolleyes: I tried explaining it to the young girl at work ,

it’s got a push button tranny !
    Huh?
    You push buttons to go forward n reverse !
    Huh?
    Kinda like a touch tone phone !
    Huh?
    Like pushing keys on a typewriter !
    Oh like a key board ?
    FFS I’m getting old !!

always thought Chrysler had some of the neatest dashboards through the 50’s and 60’s

12. I loved my 61 monarch 4 door for the comfort and never having to move to let people in or out .. I should of hung on to that one ....

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. My 53 with flat head 6 and fluid drive drive fantastic !!

leaps and bounds better then my 50 fleetline .

I put a factory duel crab intake off a dodge dump truck on it and split exhaust I bought used at a swap meet , newer tube style manifolds and it drive great even kept up with high way traffic

Not a stop light racer but no slouch around town either.

14. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Lots of "funky" stuff going on under the hood... Power steering pump hung off the end of the generator, vacuum boost, funky wiring on the fender well and no air cleaner on the carb - that one always scares me, no clue on what has fallen into the intake manifold...

You have the skills - do you have the time patience and money.

Note: Almost 40 years ago, I had 1955 and 1956 Chrysler Imperial project cars. The intent was to build up one good car from the pile of parts. The 1956 was 12 Volts and had significantly bigger brake drums. Got lots of "static" from the wife on this project. Made some major changes:

1. Trained this project off for a running 1957 Cadillac.
    2. After a couple of years, the wifely "static" did not stop. Sold the Cadillac "1957 Cadillac Coupe De Ville, 2 doors, runs, $500, ridiculous offers seriously considered".
    3. The "static" continued - A divorce bought me some distance from that situation. ;)

Russ

15. jaracer

jaracer

It has a treadle vac power brake setup. They are still available, I have one on my 57 T-Bird. A brake specialty shop should be able to get one or have the one you have overhauled.

VANDENPLAS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. That’s it !! @jaracer tredle vac !

kept thinking bendex and could not find anything .

now when I type in 56 Chrysler power brakes I get an accordion looking thing, would the tredle vac be an aftermarket or dealer add on ?

got a company here in town that could rebuild it, I know they don’t cheap , how did they work when new.

I know the 49-54 Chevy guys like the remote ones and claim they work well.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

She's cute and you spent time to explain, so, are you?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. @TrailerTrashToo the power steering 12 generator combo was used by Chrysler for a long time , my 53 had one and I installed the Chevy version ( I think early impalas etc with the 235 came with them.
    That’s how I got per steering in my 50 fleetline with jag clip.

wiring does not scare me as these older cars are pretty basic and easy to rewire the engine and exterior light circuits.

talking to the owner and looking under the hood, I’m hoping he pulled off the air cleaner for the picture to show more of the engine bay ……. Hoping! It looks fairly clean under there other then the janky wiring on the fender.

19. Am I what ? Getting old ??

Age wise, numbers in a calendar wise yes I am .

but In my head I’m still 16 years old !!

yeah most everyone around me humours me and my old car illness !

wife took our younger one horse back riding and someone pulled up in a 50’s Packard with a forsake sign
    Well she had to find em and find out about the car, send me pics n let me know.
    Wayyyyy more then I wanna spend but a nice car
    And a great wife.
    While she does not appreciate old cars like I do, she does appreciate how much I like them.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post update when/if you get it

scotty t likes this.
  21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That looks to me more like a HydroVac booster (possibly added on after the fact) rather than a Treadle Vac...

egads and VANDENPLAS like this.
  22. I can’t find any info on the brake booster at all it’s gotta be an aftermarket add on.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  23. Brakes just slow you down anyway !!!!

'34 Ratrod, VANDENPLAS and Budget36 like this.
  24. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Ya gotta be careful when talking to young people these days with your terminology, talking to a young girl at work and mentioning a tranny let alone pushing the tranny’s buttons to move forward could get you written up and sent to The HR department.

25. I’d drive that with a big ole grin

26. jaracer

jaracer

I had a 54 Chrysler New Yorker that had an under the floor master cylinder and a treadle vac. I always thought that car had very good brakes. My 57 T-Bird has one and it has good brakes.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Had an International pickup with one of those remote boosters that quit working. These guys rebuilt it and cured my problems, they also can sleeve master and wheel cylinders.
    http://www.karpspowerbrake.com/

kidcampbell71 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  28. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the link. Just down the freeway from me. Bookmarked it for the future.

64 DODGE 440 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  29. That looks like a 1956 “Power Style Chrysler”. That’s what the ads back in the day proclaimed them. That looks like a super cool ride and I would cruise the $&#% out of the fine automobile. I realize it’s not a Hemi(wouldn’t bother me), but what is it? Some version of a Poly? If I understand the booster correctly, it’s like an old two ton truck with a small master connected to the pedal with a brake line feeding a booster under the car. I don’t know the proper term for this set up, but we call them Hydrovac systems at work. Of course there’s only two of us who have ever worked on one. You can’t bypass them on a truck, but I don’t know why you couldn’t on that Chrysler. Neat car, great find.

warhorseracing and VANDENPLAS like this.
  30. Love that car! Hope you get it. I owned several push button cars over the years... favorite was a 56 Desoto Firedome. Didn't keep that car nearly long enough.

VANDENPLAS likes this.