Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Fed identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by probird, Jun 17, 2021.

1. probird

probird

Hello Hambers. I bought a fed a few years back and have had no luck with i.d. ing the chassis. I've looked through tons of picks to see if there's anything close. No luck. The fella I bought it from thought it came out of the Midwest. I picked it up in North Dakota. I repainted it last year and it had about 8 layers of paint on the body lol. It looks like it was gold originally then red. It still had the hand brake mount on it. I had to fix the rear end uprights as they only had 2 mounting holes on each side. Needed 4 to certify. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Barry.

Attached Files:

2. Fordors

Fordors

32BBF549-AA46-4D2E-9A4B-0AB3C650AA7D.png 23238618-E301-43BD-9CE6-FCF15D19119C.jpeg 0514BBEE-6084-42B9-B711-DDD2BB32EACF.png 7F46BFBA-43FC-4566-BB7C-98DF48CA4878.png 2C7763E9-CBE5-41D0-83F4-D43A92EB867C.jpeg 7DBB51A4-D0EA-44F4-B1CC-1C5DF53A2363.jpeg

Nice looking rail, I wish I could help ID the builder but no help there.

3. Any stampings - like a certificate # up around the roll bar ? If there's one there there might be a certification trail somewhere.

JC Sparks and loudbang like this.
  4. probird

probird

No I went over it well. Didn't find anything. I stripped it down as i had to fix the center as it was bent. All good now.

loudbang likes this.

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Need pictures of the front end also a rear shot forward to see if the bottom rails come back straight or narrow in. Depending on those pics could determine if its a "woody" chassis. Since RCE was a factory of sorts and built many chassis, pin-pointing the original owner is extremely difficult as there are no records

loudbang likes this.
  6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Chances are that the roll cage mods/additions covered up any SEMA stamp/tag going from a 3 point to a 5 point

JC Sparks, probird and loudbang like this.
  7. Not that I am any help in identifying your car/chassis...but I'm thinking it may have started as candy red. The gold would have been the basecoat.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. probird

probird

Thanks for the replys! I have a couple more pics that might help. It has a solid front. Not like the old style. I'm guessing this might have been in a wreck at one time.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  9. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

OK , with all the mods and repairs, what you have is a "DRAGSTER" nothing more and nothing less, Put it together and just run it, searching for anything else is a waste

10. probird

probird

Just seeing if anyone recognizes any style.

11. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Bruce, Dreracecar.... Is one of the Best, In the fed business... Enjoy it,Looks like Fun to me!!

kidcampbell71 and probird like this.
  12. probird

probird

It is! lol. nhra wants an identification on the certification. Just seeing if I can get it close. Or if anyone recognizes it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Just tell them home built. If the tubes pass and are in the correct place it doesn't make any difference.

loudbang and probird like this.
  14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

In later times, Starting in the 90's I as a manufacture , was required to stamp/tag a brand new frame as to who built it with a serial number. Older, refurbished, home built are not. Older cars were SEMA stamped with a chassis builder ID number- but that program was discontinued many many years ago and SEMA has no standing/recognition and has been replaced with SFI as the standards which NHRA accepts. Your cars rear cage section was built Woody (RCE) Gilmore "STYLE", but cant make positive ID unless the car is in front me to look beyond the visual changes. Its been close to 50 years since Woody was in business building cars.
    Don Long kept perfect records and still has them. If a claim was made about a found car--- We could go back into the list of known to exist cars and destroyed cars, and fill the gaps based on build specs. If turns up True, a copy of the actual invoice would be available to the owner

loudbang, probird and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have always wanted to know who the original owner of the Don Long car that I resurrected and raced in the late 80's. I think P-Wood told me Don built around 65 front engine cars, not sure if he built any replacement chassis. When we took it apart for the rebuild, there was an aluminum hold down bracket with "Ruth" stamped on it. Going from memory, it was 180" WB, and had a full body. Here are some pics of it, during the re-vamp. 2012-09-27 083713.jpg 2012-09-27 083742.jpg 2012-09-27 084329.jpg 2012-09-27 084849.jpg

bymanr and probird like this.
  16. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Per a recent "HOOK KNOWS" video--- Don said that RUTH was one of his best and frequent customers.

Wheelbase and motor "out" would help determine the original owner, tying that to Ruth's name would get it close

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    loudbang likes this.