Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally My '26 Chevy Roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Six Ball, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

#2 About 10 yards from yesterday's. On my way to the frame again. It's looking like one of those years. This one had broken rattles so it was very quiet.

I got almost the whole frame coated with Rust Doctor. Couldn't decide which hand to hold the brush in and which hand to hold the gun in. :eek::D

100_0431.JPG 100_0433.JPG

Atwater Mike, Jet96, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  2. guitarguy

guitarguy

Yeah, you can keep all that kind of stuff there. I'll take my snowy cold winters.

How do you like that rust doctor? Put it through any tests for chipping or flaking?

Stogy likes this.
  3. Twisted6

Twisted6

Six Ball
    it looks like your stocking up on dinner.

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I don't eat them. I've tried them but it's to for me. They do not taste like chicken! I used to give them to a lady that claimed they helped relieve her RA pain.

I haven't tried to chip or scuff the Rust Doctor yet but am very happy with coverage so far. I had a little left yesterday and did the spindles. I need to move the fram to get to some places I couldn't reach. I'm sure I'll paint over it but they claim it is a good primer or could be left. Places with more rust are darker than places with little or no rust.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

#3 3' 8 rattles under my tractor. All along the path to the roadster frame. All within 50 yards of the house.:( A friend was upset because I threw the "meat" of the others away and wants all I get from now on. Welcome!
    100_0435.JPG 100_0437.JPG 100_0438.JPG

Jet96, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Kinda sounds like you are on on the "trail" from the din! Is it possible to find the din? Might be worth a cook out!

Six Ball likes this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I have always thought there was a den around here but I don't know how to find it. We see more spring and fall which would support that. It is more likely the water and simply where there is water there are rodents and where there are rodents there are snakes. I'm definitely doing some cleanup and reducing some hiding places for both rodents and snakes. I need to shoot a few dozen ground squirrels in the process.

8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Still plugging away. I plugged the 4th rattlesnake yesterday morning. About 20 feet from the back door. My wife found it and let me know. :rolleyes:
    100_0503.JPG

I got some Rust Doctor on a few more parts and have gathered all the rivet tools. I deed to modify a couple to make it a one man job and fill the bottles for the torch. About 100 in the shade today and I had to be in the sun for a while. It's cooling off a little now. Last night I went out after super and did some weed whacking removing some snake habitat so I can set the frame up again. :)
    100_0505 2.JPG 100_0506 2.JPG

patmanta, loudbang, Jimmy B and 4 others like this.
  9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I picked up a crossmember like that just the other day. Mine has a brake pedal bracket on it though.

Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  10. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Sixball, I see that you have have gotten a 25 front engine crossmember. Looking Good!
    dumprat, could you put a pic. of your crossmember up? I've never seen one with a pedal bracket.

Stogy, Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

As GG2 says mine is for a '25 Chevy. They had 2 front crossmembers one for the engine mount and one for the radiator. Beginning in '26 one wider stamped piece did both. I won't use mine on this car but I de-rusted and coated it anyway. I assume it is forged. It has 4 bosses 2 of which are drilled. Probably to do with right or left hand drive. One end has been repaired.
    I'm trying to sort out drag link and tie rod ends. The balls are all good but a lot of the rest is shot especially the socket parts. The axle, steering linkage, brakes, drums.....are '49 Chevy pickup.

0717181521a.jpg.7077d2f1914f9fa394b0257c401b28d8.jpg s-l1600-14.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    kiwijeff, patmanta, J.Ukrop and 5 others like this.
  12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_0447.jpg IMG_0446.jpg I was going to use it on a T but who knows

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dang man two more snakes and you could upholster the roadster with them and call it the “rattler”!

Jet96, Stogy, brEad and 4 others like this.
  14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I'm just tacking the hides around the window frame on "shooting deck". I used to make belts and hatbands and give them to friends but I don't have any friends now. :eek:
    Thanks dumprat! I tried to get a better look at the bracket on the crossmember. I wondered what bolted to those holes and why right and left was provided for but only one side drilled. I may use mine on a future speedster project.
    IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

kiwijeff, Stogy, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  15. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

On both crossmembers (sixball, dump rat) I think that maybe the bracket is for the steering gear mount for a 490 maybe early superior. (the wild blackberries have taken over my 25 frame again, so cannot check!)

16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I'll trade you some rattlesnakes for some blackberry shoots? :)

Stogy, brEad and loudbang like this.
  17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Snake barter...

18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Hell I will trade you a crossmember for some rattle snake rattles! They probably would get seized at the boarder though....

19. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Is this your preferred rust removal? I have to clean up that '55 Series 2 axle I have and that axle and drums looks great. Is it fairly easy to use? I use Evaporust for a lot of stuff, but was wanting something that could spray on without having to immerse and soak in it. Will the Rust Doctor fit that bill?

EDIT: Never mind, I watched the video on their site and ordered a quart each of rust doctor and grease doctor (they had a discount on the grease doctor, if bought together).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    loudbang, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Keroppi, I gave some detail on the Inliner site. The last parts I coated are still sitting outside and look new. I want to see how Rust Doctor holds up. I'm impressed so far!
    The rattlesnake count is at #7, all along the same path but it's been a few weeks since the last one.
    Still trying to find time to bring all my parts back home and clear work space. Going to assemble the engine & trans and stick it in a corner to save some space. Need to find a corner.:eek:

brEad, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  21. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ya need a pet mongoose.

22. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

I didn't see it over on the Inliners, but that site is so slow and I only follow a couple forums. Honestly I sent stock a message recently complaining about image size and posting hassles, it seems they're trying to keep people off their forums, intentionally. Not sure. How much disk space could they use? I'm impressed with your results above. Looking forward to getting mine looking like that...

Anyway, I've never considered myself a hot rodder much, although I wouldn't mind having a roadster myself, but I tend to lean to the modification side to make things right on my truck, and the "show crowd" will never like that about people like me, so for better or worst maybe the H.A.M.B. was a good place for me to find.

Let me make this clear, I don't like snakes of any type, and rattlers scrare the living daylights out of me...but seeing dumprat's post gave me a chuckle and reminded me when I visited "Snake Alley" in Taiwan. Every so often they would toss a snake and a mongoose in the street and the mongoose would rip the snake to shreds...and eat it. Even Cobras...and all the while they were extracting the venom from rattlesnakes into small cups, it was some type green color and the macho men would drink it like a shot of whiskey in the old cowboy movies...I know we have our share of snakes in California as well, not like Nevada has a lock on them...LOL

23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Maybe I could cross a mongoose with the ground squirrels and the groundgooses could take care of their own problem.

kiwijeff, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  24. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Indeed that would work. With the amount of squirrels I have in my area I'd say you'll be snake free in no time. :/

Tell me something on your build. You've got the straight axle you're using, but I was curious, is your plan to add shocks to it, or just leave the straight axle on the front?

loudbang likes this.
  25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The axle, brakes and most of the steering is '49 Chevy pickup. The plan right now is to modify the axle so it mounts on top of the springs if there is room. That would lower the car almost the full axle width and spring depth, maybe 6" or so. There would be some steering geometry to figure out. I may have to put a little more arc in the springs. I need to get the cross member and springs on the frame so I can see what I have. There will be shocks. Right now I'm thinking of using the '49 pickup shocks front and rear. They are only single action in the rebound direction and the springs are supposed to dampen the other direction. I may end up with friction shocks. I don't want tube shocks but......?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  26. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Is that also something I could do with my straight axle ? (to add shocks to it)

I usually see people add the entire front clip from another car/truck. I'll be watch to see what you do.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I think you could use the lower tube shock mount from the later AD pickups that is a plate that bolts on with the spring U-bolts. The top mounts is just a hole in the front crossmember. I'll try to get a picture.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I got all the rest of the roadster parts home this evening but is was not a happy thing. My friend Bruce, whose place is where we tried to work on it together, died of cancer yesterday. It happened really fast. His sister took him back to SOCAL to get better care a few days ago and it didn't pan out. He was about half done building a huge new shop where he could work on his several projects. It's just sad he was excited about just working on the things he had collected over a lifetime. Cars. guns, boats......

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Six Ball, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  30. Damn. :( Not a good thing, at all. I'm very sorry, for your loss.

Six Ball, loudbang and Stogy like this.