Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Question about tradition?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Jun 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimSibley

JimSibley

I am not looking to cause trouble, but when is a traditional car not quite traditional
    Enough for the hamb? If it is period correct in its appearance, but it has a mustang 2 frontend, is that a killer? Or, if you build a traditional car and paint it with the new 4 stage red from
    Mazda. How about a period correct build with a set of seats from a late 90s car and you removed the headrests, or a minivan seat instead of the original seats.

Flathead Dave, partssaloon and Stogy like this.
  2. To use your MII example, I'd say it's a case of don't show it, don't talk about it.

If a man alone in the forest says something and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think it differs between something some one else builds and defending one you may build yourself.

j3harleys likes this.
  4. I agree with @X38 , don’t ask don’t tell, if the Hamb police can’t see it it’s fine.

I don’t think paint will kill you.

but modern suspension
    Modern engines
    And big poofy modern buckets will.

sad but true.

5. You just popped open a fresh one of these.:D;) can-of-worms.jpg

6. It can get frustrating at times when someone posts a killer ride and the thread gets axed due to modern suspension or whatever.

but I get it, this site is for traditional rods built in a traditional style.

So SHHHHHHHHHHHUUUSH ;)

7. Modern Paint is no problem, I think even the moderators will have trouble finding original usable 50s paint in large quantities...... ;)

8. I'd say if you've pulled the horse hair stuffing out of the seats and gone with modern foam/sponge, you've gone too far ;)

deadbeat, rpm56, partsdawg and 7 others like this.
  9. 1ton

1ton

Ah pish posh, there will always be some ticky tack shtuff sneakin in. Can't stop it. If the day ever comes that HRP or Squirrel starts a thread like "Lets see all your s10 framed hot rods", then we know the end is near.

10. oldolds

oldolds

Interesting question. Suspension changes are traditional to some extent. I have seen early Fords with 50's Chevy suspensions on them. Frame changes as well are traditional. IE '32 frame under an A. But most are with parts from the acceptable years of the HAMB. I feel paint is paint all colors basically could have been made at any time. The interior is harder to put into words. No high back bucket seats for sure. As long as it looks "right" is good for me.
    I think as long as the parts to put
    I do see a lot of "confused" cars out there. By "confused" I mean something like an all billit car that has chrome reverse wheels and wide whites.
    I like all types of cars from traditional builds to new super cars. So I am more flexible than most on here.
    For me as long as the cars has some "style" I am good with it.

11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just remember fellas......

If your post gets deleted it was for editorial purposes that Moderators deem of being outside the
    " Traditional ERA of Hot Rods and Custom Cars" Prior to 1964-5.

Nothing is personal- they are Editorial decisions.

We try to run a tight ship because if we miss something out side the Traditional ERA it's seems to be a green light for others to think it's ok.

With over 2-300,000 members, we have to keep it on topic or the HAMB would turn into not being the HAMB and just some other whatever 1-800 car website.

When in doubt - send a PM to a Moderator BEFORE you post it.

Thanks.

12. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Ryan defines this...
    This should be enough.
    Since it his his sight, this should be respected.

There has to be a boundary. There has to be a definition. Without it you get chaos.

Consider the HAMB a car club with a pre-1966 or 1965 and before focus. The focus is on cars, performance upgrades, engines, methods, suspensions and modifications that were done in that period.
    Say your car for example....
    It's an old car with off topic modifications. Your car is OK but that modification is off topic.
    To demand that that off topic modification be accepted, changes the whole focus of the club/forum.

Another example....

There's a pre 1966 car show. What makes the car show great, is it's pre-1966.
    Well the 4x4 guys demand to be in the show. So do the import guys. So do Muscle car guys. So do Mustang and Camaro guys...
    If you let them have their way, what made the car show great, is no more...

48fordnut, jimmy six, clem and 6 others like this.
  13. What @F-ONE and @corncobcoupe posted is spot on.

I don’t go to local shows that much any more , I find the swap meets with car shows much better.

The local shows around me have more brand new pony cars and vettes etc then anything else lately.
    Sign o the times sure I guess

while I can appreciate those cars it’s not my main interest .

14. 41woodie

41woodie

If the air in your bias tires isn't the original air, you're toast...kidding of course

15. squirrel

squirrel

I know it when I see it.

My point is that it's a question that's really difficult to answer objectively. If at first glance, the car look like it doesn't belong, then it's probably not OK.

Good luck with this...

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The paint in question pretty well passes for candy paint for the most part. At least I hope so if the person painting my truck can do it.
    Suspension as long it isn't visible standing flat footed 30 ft away from the rig to me shouldn't be an issue on a fat fender or custom as long as you aren't competing in a judged event as a 100% period correct rod or custom.
    I could put a 51/54 Chevy front end under my 48 and be totally period correct for a mid 50's build as long as I didn't swap to disk brakes.
    Seats, as long as they aren't loaded down with way modern looking plastic trim and have the right shape lean backs.
    I saw these mid/late 70's Bronco seats on FB market place this morning. Way overpriced for their condition but they could easily be redone with traditional materials and would look right in a lot of traditional rigs.
    [​IMG]

Tman, VANDENPLAS and dana barlow like this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I build the cars of my dreams, and then get told that "nobody built cars like that back in the 'the day"', because there were no pictures of them in magazines (ProTip: not every built car got a magazine feature, even some very good ones, and nobody read or owns every single magazine ever published).

When I show pictures of cars built like that back in "the day", I am told that they were not common back in "the day" (ProTip: no rods or customs were, we've always been an anomaly).

Once we get past that point, the flack often shows up about concessions to having to drive on modern roads, around modern cars, in modern traffic, with modern drivers.

Once that is done, it often turns to ad hominem affront, but then again, that sometimes happens when I post published verified empirical data.

That is why I don't post pictures of anything that I build. When I show my work here, it gets trashed.

Self-moderation is in-effect.

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

IFS or IRS on fender less cars, surely a no no. Same suspension on a fendered car, probably OK as long as it's hidden and not talked about. Newer engines, don't talk about them or show them off, other words, keep the hood closed.

There is an excellent example of this on here right now, an excellent build on a station wagon, most of you know who I'm talking about. He has taken great pains not to show the engine or suspension, yet still showcase the rest of his work. As long as the hood is shut, it looks like it could have been built any time during the HAMB timeframe. I love it even with it's non HAMB friendly parts, but I like a lot of things other people may not, too.

I'm with Gimpy on this one, my stuff isn't exactly 100% HAMB material, so I don't talk about it much or post pics of it. It's like a fake titty, it's got the looks and feel of the real thing, but it's not quite the same....

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So I'm not clear if this is a question about hot rods in general, or HAMB specific? Are you asking about what's OK to post & talk about here, or just in general what people accept on a traditional car and still find it acceptable?

firstinsteele likes this.
  20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Fake titties are easy to spot....... ;)

21. Not going here as lots of non traditional stuff is allowed and discussed ...

VANDENPLAS, clem, Tman and 1 other person like this.
  22. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

But we do look at them for some time just to make sure! And sometimes a second and third look is in order.:):D

23. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

In other words, don't be proud of your car around a certain group.
    Be a Lone Wolf.

24. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

If the "traditionalists" are so very concerned about what not to show or talk about, why do many on the H.A.M.B. run a 350 in their builds while the 350 is not to "traditional" standards.
    The 350 came out in 1967. The Ford 8" rear came out in 1983 or so. Not talking about the 8" banjo rear.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    quick85 and clem like this.
  25. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I suppose the reason for that is that there just aren't that many 265, 283 and 327 blocks left loose out there that are worth spending the time and effort on. Appearance wise, there's not too much difference between a 283 and a 350. Lots of parts interchange. My personal opinion, if you've seen one boat anchor, you've pretty much seen them all.;)

26. Budget36

Budget36

I think traditional Hot Rod for the HAMB is pretty well defined, right?
    I’m not opposed to IFS/IRS/EFI, etc, but the HAMB is. That’s why the arguments by those who say “they would have used it if it was available “ doesn’t hold water.
    It does hold water in the roots of Hot Rods and customs though. But not on the HAMB and I’m fine with that and try to adhere to those rules when asking for help on things.

Flathead Dave and alanp561 like this.
  27. Squablow

Squablow

It's all fine as long as you just don't post pictures of the parts that don't fit the criteria. If you've got some modern motor or suspension just don't post build pics of the engine or suspension build. The rest of the car might pass just fine and no one has to be the wiser. I may or may not have parts on some of the cars I've posted here that don't fit in but you'll never know from what I post pictures of.

Someone can prove me wrong, but I've yet to see modern seats with the headrests off that didn't look like a bag of smashed assholes though.

28. Not that many 265,283,327s left ???
    Have you looked for a good flathead block ,v8 60 parts , buick nailhead , Chrysler hemi's
    Pretty lame excuse to accept the largest mass produced v8 in America (350) onto a traditional site !!!

48fordnut and rpm56 like this.
  29. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree whole heartedly, having worked on the beef kill line for all of two weeks at Wilson & Co. in OKC. My job was working under the dripping carcasses squeegeeing blood into the drain sand picking up miscellaneous cow parts . I can guarantee that a 5 gallon bucket of cow assholes is one of the ugliest sights you'll ever see.;)

30. squirrel

squirrel

Face it, building any car is a lot of work, time, money, etc. Getting it done, with some compromises, is better than never getting it done, perfectly.

I don't worry too much about what other guys are doing. Most of us do what we can....where we draw the line differs, but there really isn't any car that's perfectly traditional. Don't sweat it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.