Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Does zinc additive turn to sludge?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Years ago a guy had a engine that he removed the thermostat from and ran it for years that way. After a cold winter he wanted a thermostat put in so it would warm up and blow hot air when we changed the oil. Two weeks later it came back on a hook. No oil pressure after warming up. Told him the engine would have to be pulled after checking with a mechanical gauge. He was mad and sold me the car cheap. It had the coffee grounds in the pick up.

I also did that to the oil pan and got rid of the sludge "environmentally safe". Re-assembled and installed the engine and drove the $h1t out of that car. Even repainted it and sold it for a profit years later

2. missysdad1

missysdad1

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Fitty Toomuch and Special Ed like this.
  3. I picked up a 283 that had been rebuilt and never cranked. It was assembled with white lithium. Covered in the stuff. I don’t know how long ago it was assembled, but the white lithium had turned to glue. Could hardly turn the cam just by itself. The main bearing I inspected looked great but the hardened grease had the bearing almost glued to the crank.
    Don’t know if yours was similar but I’m glad I dug into it.
    Brake cleaner won’t touch this stuff. I’d imagine it would have took the engine getting hot enough to get it to turn loose.

4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The STP has been analyzed by a lab and it contains very little zinc. What you're seeing on the label is marketing B.S. I've found the results before, I think on bobistheoilguy.com but I didn't save them to my computer. So I did another search this morning, and found this video, the results, 8 ppm of zinc, 7 ppm of phosphorus. That is very, very little, not enough to do anything in your engine.

5. Cleaned it all up, didn't change the pump. Come to the conclusion that this isn't the new rebuild it was supposed to be. So I'll pull it and redo it all. But for the time being, engine at temp, idling at 800 rpm, about 20lbs of pressure. Would you guys run it? 20210616_134320.jpg

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I know you have a long trip planned and that's heavy on the mind. Either way, if you stay home because you don't trust it or it blows on the way, you still won't be there. Go for it and listen and watch. You may be surprised.

7. 20 at idle sounds perfect.
    Rock that thing as hard as ya want to

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, go for it man..... I would be more worried about the gauges not matching... LOL

9. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Either you have a real big thumb or that's a really small filter. Try and fit the largest spinon you can find,probably from a truck, to get as much square inches of filtration as possible.
    And yes I would drive it to your planned destination, I just would stay out of the go pedal and make an easy cruise of it until you can trust your car again. Ralphie

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No time for that. Just do it the "Road Kill" way. Take a bunch of extra oil filters and swap them out at the 7 11 or filling station parking lot when (if) need be. :)

12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

warhorseracing likes this.
  13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ When I read that it made me think of Cheech and Chong.

14. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Class, Class, Class, QUIET!!!!!!! Thank you...

15. @Lloyd's paint & glass You look much younger since you ran the mower on your face.:p Glad you kind of got it sorted and yea, go for it just have your AAA up to date. Make sure you have the Plus plan as 3 miles isn't far for a tow but the 100 Miles helps in most circumstances.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Just read the entire thread over again, and something is missing! Nowhere do I see mentioned the brand of "zinc additive" you used, just Havoline oil.
    Inquistive minds want to know:confused:o_O

alanp561 likes this.
  17. Back to the STP .
    No where on the label does it state a significant amount of zinc is in it .
    It does state zddp and the long technical name as well .

I guess it is marketing,,,,,,kind of borderline misrepresentation,,,,but not a lie .
    Not trying to get a stink started,,,,just stating what I see on the label .
    I don’t know what is in it,,,,or how good it bears a load,,,,,but get it on your fingers and you can’t wash it off .
    They are still slick after a couple of washings with detergent,,,,,Dawn .

Tommy

18. Budget36

Budget36

Take a look under a valve cover, see if anything is lurking there. I know you’re short on time, but popping the intake off would be a mind soother as well.
    Bummer it wasn’t what you thought it was.
    Back in the 90’s my dad bought a Big Cam Cummins from a son of his friend. The father made the deal, said his son just had it gone through.
    Turned out to be a rattle can rebuild, took us longer to pull his motor and get that one in, than it lasted.
    Even “friends” will fuck you at times when money is tight.

19. I've had the intake off, it was clean. Fuck it, I'm good to go! My hagerty drive club covers towing lol. But im being positive. I've drove some sketchy junk to bowling green over the years lol

20. Lmao that was a year ago! In a tube, from bath motor parts here in owingsville Ky. All i got man

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

Rock it. Hell, say you went to BG to buy the car, took it for a spin, let it idle and saw 20 lbs of oil pressure, hell, you’d just get in and drive it back home without a worry;)

22. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Just do it man. Engines that sit up a while do some funky things that worry the devil out of ya after you get 'em heated up for a while. They blow snot until the pipes are cleaned out. Just a machine with congestion. It's a seasonal thing :D

Joe

23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The day's of being young. Mother - "if you fall out of that tree and break both of your legs don't come running to me for help". :D

24. Cleaned up, loaded up, gassed up. 20210616_173203.jpg 20210616_173523.jpg 20210616_173528.jpg

25. AGELE55

AGELE55

26. Packed up.:confused: You have enough drink holders for a six pack!:eek: Yea, you're good to go.:rolleyes: Have fun. Be safe.

27. She only bought 2-30 packs, guess I'll buy more down there :D

28. Are you coming up?

29. Make it there and back, I've got this fresh 283. It'll go in the 57, then I'll rebuild the 350 for the El Camino.

30. Still don’t know.
    Bus is having carb issues and I would probably come up alone. I’m not scared.
    But I guess I could hiccup that thing all the way there.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.