Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm getting old!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terrible Tom, Jun 14, 2021.

1. trollst

trollst

66, and I finally learned that it don't have to be done today.....so I putter along and if it takes all day for a two hour fix, well, thats ok. I find I'm more productive that way, I used to spend the day in my shop with a timeline and an eventual deadline, but no more, it takes as long as it takes including my sit and stare at it, waiting for it to fix itself time.
    However, I still feel it, going for another echocardiogram next week, godamn how I hate those things.....

2. Transmission's ? Hell that's what put me in the "H" house throwing top loaders around a few years back like I was a young stepper ! I've always been a little light in the rear trying to push my 150 pounds body weight soaking wet around. Had surgery to fix the hernia and at 65 yrs I'm trying not to have another surgery. Have been taking more breaks lately - where two years ago I could work on my feet for 6 or so hours around my shop without stopping !
    Best of luck to all doing what you love to do !

wicarnut, LAROKE and Deuces like this.
  3. Garpo

Garpo

Remember; work expands to fit the time available.

4. twenty8

twenty8

Man, it's time to stop. I did just over 2 years ago, so before you ask, yes, I know how hard it is. At least 30 a day since I was 17. One of the toughest things I have had to do, but stopping was worth the fight. I feel so much better...............:)

5. spanners

spanners

I'm 64 and retired. Try to put in a good day in the shed or around the 5 acres. My saying if I get strung out about getting something finished is " You can finish tomorrow what you started today".

Deuces and wicarnut like this.
  6. modagger

modagger

73 in a few months and my barometer for a good day is when both feet hit the floor in the morning.

I still go out to my shop every day. It may be for an hour or the better part of the day. It’s like Wonder Bread. “Helps build strong bodies, (and minds) at least twelve ways”.

Deuces, impala4speed and wicarnut like this.
  7. Aside from the back injury, I'm in good physical shape. I can do quite a bit outside if I can avoid getting up and down off the ground. Hot weather = lots of pool and beer breaks. If I have a big job to do with the car, I hoard up my pain pills and go for it.

My late wife had a plastic garden step, you could sit on it, or flip it over and kneel on it... well this thing is my newest BFF. I use it to sit to reach parts of the car when I wash or detail. For gardening, I use it to help me off the ground. My biggest issue is getting up off low spots.

8. hepme

hepme

2 out of the 3 major health foods! Missing-large fries. Great for you, keep it up.

Deuces likes this.
  9. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I am a week away from 71 years old and a damn proud retired Ironworker. My body shows the effects of being worked like a borrowed mule, too. I am in the middle of changing out a Ford 8" rear end for a new Ford 9" rear in my '26. It had to be mocked up and 4 bar brackets located and tacked in. Then removed, welded up and painted. I started last Saturday and hope to be done this coming Friday. When I was younger and racing, this was a job that I could have done in one late night thrash. And that was on jack stands, laying on my back. I would not have even attempted this project if I wasn't lucky enough to now have a lift. There are still a lot of breaks involved. Then I have to remember what I was working on and where I left my tools.
    I decided I don't want to build anymore scratch start hotrods. I have 2 "finished" hotrods. So I am constantly upgrading and finesseing those 2.
    Gettin' old ain't for pussies.

old chevy, Deuces, LAROKE and 3 others like this.
  10. boutlaw

boutlaw

Getting old aint for pussies X 2......Redbull

11. I was Good until about I think 83 or 4 when things started to go wrong
    I would go out to the car & plan to do something & get in position
    & Than I would have to go to the Bathroom & different little things
    would happen Like Finding the right Tool's
    But I am still going Strong I only have a couple of thinks wrong
    that I can take care off.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

flyin-t, Budget36, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  12. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I’m 75 and have lost way too many friends and other people I knew some to Covid and for other medical reasons in the past 18 months. Certainly have some aches and pains from arthritis and overdoing things. Sometimes it just mind over matter and taking that first step out the door to get busy. Just got back from a mile and a half walk and my knees were screaming “what the hell are you doing to me” however after walking they and I feel better. Same way with working out in the shop just doing something small leads to getting more involved with larger tasks. I find I do plan a bit more about what tools and other things I need before getting down on the floor to work. Although I’m 75 my head is still in its 40’s and still thinking and planning for other things. If you are heathy be thankful there are many that would do anything to trade places. Also a good attitude and sense of humor about getting older helps.

Deuces, LAROKE and impala4speed like this.
  13. 34Larry

34Larry

This is what KILLED my dad, ................ way to early. He worked every day of his life when I was a kid on Boeing field and smoked two packs of Camels a day. My brother and I sat by his deathbed and watched him struggle to breath, finally loosing the battle that day when he was only 76. I have never smoked a cigarette..........not ever. Oh yeah, I took a drag off one when every guy in the car was doing it and promptly commenced to choke uncontrollably, and it tasted like shit. Never did that again. My brother smoked until he saw Dad leave and stopped by being hypnotized and having his ear pierced at the same time and it worked. He was fifty at the time and is 78 today with no self imposed Tabaco issues at all.
    I'm not preaching what anyone should do, that's not my right, just relaying a story of what happened to me and my only Brother.

14. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I'm currently working on it... I agree with the don't start comment. I consider it the stupidest thing I've done in my life. And that's really saying something.

15. I stopped 6 years ago but not early enough I have copd & have a Machine that makes
    Oxygen & a Portable when I go out but I don't have to take it all the Time
    I stoped Cold Turkey It was alittle Harder but if you put your Mind
    To it any thing can be Done.!I also do Meditation which helps.

Just my 3.5 Cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

Deuces and twenty8 like this.
  16. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I am 78, COPD from inhaling asbestos in submarine engine rooms. Keep plugging along best I can though. I find it hard to compensate for issues regarding creeper work. No matter what I am doing I never have the right space under a car, no lift here, to focus my bifocals on the work. Generally whack my head trying. Getting down on the creeper is a controlled fall assisted by gravity. Getting up generally requires rolling onto my belly and going up on stages and requiring something to hang on to. My new hip (10/19) is starting to give me grief. I am lucky that I have a great friend, Dick Leclair, and a grandson that loves cars (college sophomore) who will always give an old guy a hand. I have a new project, a 1950s shovel nose 10' hydroplane, which I have on sawhorses in the basement and am restoring it. Variety is the spice of life and I have a daughter with a house on a lake so why not.

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I had a tough time with bifocals working on a car too, I ended up getting a pair of reading glasses with the same magnification as the bifocals and it made a world of difference

redo32, Guy Patterson, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  18. twenty8

twenty8

Something that may help..................you will have way more money for hot rod stuff.:):):)

Guy Patterson, Deuces and 210superair like this.
  19. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I'm 71 and thank God, I have 2 sons in their 40's that do most of my work

Deuces and 210superair like this.
  20. slider-ok

slider-ok
    from oklahoma

Just retired on SS told my wife I wasn't gonna kick the bucket till on my projects where done. Now when traveling she points to old cars and adds to the honey do list.

Deuces and 210superair like this.
  21. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gettin old ain't fun! Hot here today! 100+ Decided to clean up all the cars--they are all black! Two OT cars, her 55 and the black 40. Some garage cleanup too. Kinda maybe overdid it but it's done now.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    dirty old man and Deuces like this.
  22. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exercise program for old hot roddders- Lay down on floor, roll around, get up, lay down on floor, roll around, get up. Repeat.

23. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Mannnnn, we're going to need some pics of that boat in the vintage boats thread please! I'm on the lookout for one of those for my kid the last few years. Right now he putts around our bay in a tugboat sandbox I changed into a real boat by adding flotation and a trolling motor.

Guy Patterson, Deuces and olscrounger like this.
  24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Tonight is trash night and every week there are boxes to be thrown out. Lot's of room these week so I didn't break down all the Amazon boxes she received. Toss them in and I hear a clunking sound. Good thing, I "forgot" I placed one box I labeled electrical tools next to them.

25. I used to laugh at those commercials, "help, I've fallen and can't get up". I practice getting up off the floor too. The cats quietly judge and laugh at me. I recently dropped 20 lbs and am doing better getting off the floor. I take a joint supplement every day.

Deuces likes this.
  26. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

At a recent meeting of our car club, we had a little celebration for the 75th birthday of a member.
    One of the older members, who is still active with his cars and active in the club, looked at me and said "oh, to be 75 again!"

It's all relative.

Deuces likes this.
  27. 1 Aleave in the morning, 1 in the evening and you'll feel good, ready to do the other side.

Deuces likes this.
  28. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Superair love the image I got of the Tugboat sandbox in my head going around the bay,nice. As for getting old exercise helps a lot to keep the body moving. My wife and me walk about 2 miles ever other night and I walk a mile by myself without her. Have lost weight and found can get up an down easier and my mind seems much clearer. Working on my cars, yup takes a bit longer but find am enjoying it more as I don't do stupid stuff quite as often

29. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was fine until I turned 75 or thereabouts. When I'm sitting down thinking about what I want to do, I'm still Superman. Then I try to get out of the chair and reality sets in.:(

TagMan, Deuces, trollst and 1 other person like this.
  30. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Smoked a pipe for 40 yrs.
    ever since I was 23.
    Am 68 now. Eight years ago my son told me it’s time to stop smoking.
    He gave me a vape. I said no way I’d give it up unless he finds a juice that’s exactly like my vanilla cavandish tobacco.
    He found some and I havent looked back.
    not even interested in tobacco.
    Don’t believe the media. There’s nothing unsafe about it. Other then the dependence on nicotine which isn’t unhealthy either. It’s the carbon that’ll get you.