Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Does zinc additive turn to sludge?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jun 15, 2021.

1. So i just drove it, pretty good trip, 190 on the temp gauge. Pulled back in and now it's idling at 12lbs of oil pressure. I'll change it again tmrw, but what about putting a quart of kerosene in it and letting it idle for a few minutes? Bad idea?

VANDENPLAS and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  2. Yeah it was dry, i was the first to run it, so i put the additive in.

3. Made an executive decision..... with the direction of my machinist. Pulled the pan. Yay. 20210615_184322.jpg 20210615_184519.jpg

4. Budget36

Budget36

What’s a chocolate covered donut doing there? ;)

5. That doesn't look too good. HRP

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve read or heard GM EOS additive doesn’t always mix well, not sure on other brands on engine that sit a lot like many our do.

It looks like the screen stopped the junk like it should. Was it slimy and hard? Was there any gray bearing material in it? Remove it and clean it. Change the oil/filer again. I’ll bet the pan looks like s**t too. I’ve started using Lucas Hot Rod oil and no additive. I had my pan off after 2 changes for a totally different reason. Everything including the pick screen was very clean. Good luck.

7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Looks like Permatex.

Special Ed likes this.
  8. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Are you opening the oil pump?

Black_Sheep and anthony myrick like this.
  9. Yeah there's permatex, no bearing material that I've seen. The pan has about 1/4" of the slime in it. Hard to explain the texture, it's about like peanut butter lol. I'm gonna take the pan up to the machine shop early in the morning, he's gonna clean it. He has a new pump on the shelf, but he's not sure about a new pickup, if not he's gonna clean this one. Cross your fingers for me, i really don't wanna drive my truck to bowling green.

10. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Holy bottom of the septic tank, Batman! Looks like something went wrong during the 5 years of storage. Hope the cleaning saves your Bacon!

Russ

11. Maybe this isn't the engine that he gave me all of the receipts to lol. Top end was clean and new when i had it apart. Oh well. 20210615_184303.jpg

12. Well,,,,,at least it’s a 4 bolt main ,,, !

I would remove the cover from the pump,,,,,and inspect the gears .
    If they are smooth without any gouges or bad scratches,,,you should be good .
    They see all the oil first,,,,,if they are good,,,,maybe the rest is okay.
    That was a good Executive decision,,,,,good call .

Tommy

13. While you are in there pull a main cap just to see for your self the condition of the bearings.

14. this is exactly what I was told by the guys in the STP research and development lab. my wife and a few good friends worked for STP when it was owned by First Brands corp. I work on the race car owned by the former lab director who told me there isn't any zddp in it that would make any difference.

15. At this point Tommy I'm just gonna put a new pump on it. It's right in front of my nose, and i won't have to wonder that way ;)

16. I understand,,,,,,I was just thinking if the gears were clean without any damage,,,the rest should be good as well .
    I really think you will be good to go,,,,,it just wasn’t very pretty.

You took some good pics though,,,,,clear and easy to view .

Tommy

17. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

A gallon or so of MMO will fix that mess right up. 8^) Jack E/NJ

alanp561 likes this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Pour some gas in that pickup and set it on fire. No, really. When it goes out, tap it on a rock or concrete to get the burned ash out of it. Cleaned many screen that way....

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well I think that while the top was clean I can't believe all that sludge was from sitting for 5 years. I'd say the engine was run and not serviced well and parked with the sludge already there. Only IMO.

20. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Kind of hinted above but, to me, just looks like an old sludgy engine. Is it possible it may have just had a valve job and a paint job? Just can't see sludge just growing there while stored. The small amount of time you drove it could not have sledged up so much.

21. Yeah anything is possible, the guy i got the car from gave me all of the receipts for the engine, but that doesn't mean it's this engine. I called the machine shop that did the work to ask if he put hardened valve seats in the heads, he remembered the engine. Hate to think a 70 year old man would lie to me, but not everybody is as brutally honest as me. I'll fix it, and life will go back to normal.

22. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I have had several old engines lose oil pressure for the same reason (a clogged pickup screen), I simply cleaned the screen and the oil pan and reassembled. I didn't touch the oil pump. No need to replace parts that can be cleaned.

In the old days you'd often get "coffee grounds" clogging the pickup screen.

You mentioned that this was a "new" engine, is that so, or is it a (supposed) rebuild?

23. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmmm...is there a lesson to be learned here Lloyd? You change your avatar, and your whole world goes to hell. Coincidence? I think not. Don't fuck with the universe. (although you look a lot less menacing in the new one);)

alanp561 likes this.
  24. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

You are pushing hard . Do as you say , test drive then trip to BG KY. All Good
    Stretch

25. Yep - just had an engine rebuilt - and that's what the builder said - run it 20 minutes and then change both the oil and filter. Run it two hours and then do the same -all with the zinc stuff.....
    Did you get a hair cut ?

rod1 likes this.
  26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So looking up the Rislone stuff opened a can of worms. There are multiple products, so not sure which one to talk about. I think, I'm not sure, but I think the original product is the 710 Oil Treatment stuff, which appears to be just a heavy base oil loaded up with a long chain polymer to increase the oil viscosity. This is pretty much what STP is as well. I see no mention of zinc on this product technical or SDS sheets. The problem with this type of product is that it leads to deposits around the piston rings, leading to the rings sticking in the grooves, and eventually polishing of the cylinder bores. This stuff may address a problem of excessive oil consumption, but it will eventually lead to making the problem worse.

https://rislone.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/4471-PDS.pdf
    https://rislone.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/4471-SDS.pdf

Then they have a couple of Engine treatments, and a couple of Hyperlube oil treatment products, and finally they do have "Rislone Hy-perlube Zinc ZDDP Supplement. So how much zinc is in it? According to information on their website they are claiming 1.67%, which equates to 16000 ppm of zinc! Yeah, that's a lot. It has several other additives in it as well. They say that adding 1 bottle to an engine should bring the zddp level in the oil up to 1700 - 1800 ppm. I didn't do the math, I'll take their word for it. So yes, this stuff does appear to be different than STP, it actually does contain a lot of zinc in it. Whether or not that is a good thing is another subject.

https://rislone.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/4405-PDS-1.pdf
    https://rislone.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/4405-SDS-2.pdf

27. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Also check the oil filter adapter. If the bypass is plugged or if it is an aftermarket type without the bypass valve it will show 0 oil pressure in a hurry if the filter is full of crap.

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Daaayyyuummmmm, that's nasty! I'm gonna take back my "it's probably assembly lube" comment. I don't know what to think about that!

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  29. I remember taking old engines apart many moons ago, and it seemed there was a very distinct smell that came with pulling the main caps off.
    I never knew what caused that smell, and just assumed it was from oil that got in between the caps and the bolts, and stayed in there until the caps were removed. Something must smell weird with that much goo that you have goin' on.
    I refer to this quite often and he also has forums with oil discussions, stuff for sale etc.
    www.bobistheoilguy.com
    Good luck, and for what it's worth, there are still some Fuel Racers that add a can/bottle (or 2) of STP to their 70 Wt Racing Oil of choice.
    Thanks

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  30. 1ton

1ton

May try Seafoam instead of kerosene. If anything is going to cut the sludge left over, that stuff will. Put it in with your initial start up oil, run it a bit then let it sit. Start it once more till warm and change the oil. Kinda like the recipe they use in preparation for a colonoscopy.

alanp561, warhorseracing and Petejoe like this.