Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Easily my favorite thread on the hamb right now. Can’t wait to see this in person some day

OFT, J.Ukrop, 97 and 2 others like this.
  2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i have a '32 banger head, but shipping from maine kills any help it might be...

J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I like the tank traps idea. A real use for some cool old hardware that won't look like you created a place just to use them. You continue to find really cool folks with great parts. This build is a book if not a movie!

4. Budget36

Budget36

What keeps bringing me back to check on the updates to this thread, is you can just feel/sense the enthusiasm when Joey posts.

5. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Vintage " perfection, cannot be rushed !

J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  6. Binderman01

Binderman01

Can't wait to get back to SF been following along with this a long time, really motivated me to step up my project before turning the big 3-0!

J.Ukrop and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  7. 97

BIG ? 30, jezuz I am looking at 70 :eek:, gotta get to work! Only 43 projects left!:cool:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Outback, OFT, Joe Blow and 4 others like this.
  8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Bunch of puppies, I was 76 last Wednesday. All I can say is get it done now kids it won't get any easier, the Golden Years are a myth. :rolleyes: :D

Outback, OFT, bchctybob and 7 others like this.
  9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I can top that, I'll be 78 in 2 months and a 2 time cancer survivor! It sure as hell doesn't get easier, I can work about 3 or 4 hours most days but the speed I work at is so much slower it isn't funny.

10. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah? Well, my IQ is 80...

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

There was probably someone older than Methuselah too but I bet he didn't have more fun that us. He didn't get to watch Joey build a hot rod!

12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks Tim! Regularly posting on here helps me keep the project rolling, even if it's just the little stuff. Don't worry, this car will make its way to the Midwest one day. If not, you're always welcome here in San Francisco.

Thank you for the offer! After coughing up some serious money for the leakless four-bolt water pump, I'm really trying to get an A head.

Thank you! I knew those would be able to find their way into the build somehow. One of the thumb screws was bent pretty bad, but I was able to drive the car to the hardware store (my favorite activity) and buy a new one. It'll be fun to have those on there.

Book, movie or magazine article—it's all about the cast of characters who have turned this into something a little bit bigger than an old car project.

Hell yeah! We've been having fun so far, and I know for a fact that we have a whole lot more coming.

I agree with that wholeheartedly, although I'll be the first to admit that this car is far from perfect haha. As you guys can tell, I just love collecting vintage pieces and putting them back into play. Every piece of every one of these cars has a story to tell.

Thank you for coming along for the ride. Next time you're here, hit me up and we'll take the roadster for a spin.

Go man go!

Hahah I'm telling myself that! I'm trying to do a bunch of work now so I can enjoy the car later.

Glad that you're here to share your knowledge! I think regardless of our ages, it's all about getting out there every chance we can to make progress on these projects.

But hot rodding makes you wiser!

Hahah Methuselah must have been into some ultra-traditional style builds.

enloe, Six Ball, Joe Blow and 2 others like this.
  13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's Friday and we have updates!

First and foremost, I'd like to say a big thank you to @nickthebandit. He and I did some trading and he revamped my Franken-Stromberg 48 with all the correct parts. IMG_5890.jpg
    This carb won't be used on this chapter of the car, but it possibly may make its way onto a future version. Or, if you need it for your project, let me know and we can work something out!

I've been hustling pretty hard over these past two weeks, although in some ways I feel like my pace has slowed down. I'm focusing on the details and trying to check a lot of little boxes.
    IMG_5828.jpg
    One of those boxes was fitting, staining and sealing the wood kit. I had to whittle out one of the top pieces and then make it all fit. Boy, I'm glad that this is a roadster and not a closed car!
    IMG_5893.jpg
    Note the bronze screws keeping the wood in place. Believe it or not, these came with some vintage porcelain door knobs that I just so happened to have on hand. Yeah, I know I need to fix that rip in the seat.
    IMG_5830.jpg
    While in the woodworking mood, I followed you guys' advice and made a pair out of a dowel rod. It's the little things!
    IMG_5832.jpg
    Oh, and how about the tack strip? I painted it semi-gloss black and outfitted it with flathead screws and stainless finish washers. Not only does this make the car look more complete, it helps with longitudinal strength big time. IMG_5833.jpg
    Here's another angle. IMG_5836.jpg While bolting in the cowl band, I had to remove the floor. Well, when the floor was out, I took that opportunity to get the foot rest finally situated correctly. And, since I was down there, I decided to finally fit the floor mat that I got off Craigslist in Michigan last fall. It took some trimming but I have it how I want it now. To be honest, I liked the look of the gloss black floor, but now that I've driven it with the mat I'm sold. Again, it's just another step that makes it feel more complete to me. IMG_5835.jpg
    After sitting in the sun yesterday, the mat has smoothed out some.

14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

On Wednesday, I drove over to Concord to hang out with @SAVAGE. Always great catching up and seeing what he's working on. While I was there, I picked up my car's new (old) horn. IMG_5886.jpg
    Thank you, Aaron! (Janky wiring put in place for testing purposes.)

Yep, it works!

Other than that, I've just been enjoying the car. Yesterday was one of the first days that I've been home that I didn't do anything to it other than driving it. (I did tighten one rumble seat hinge bolt.) IMG_5868.jpg
    Last time I was here I was broken down. It's been beautiful driving weather here in SF. Anyways, that's all for now!

15. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love antique klaxons. I have a Klaxon 8C that will be going on my coupe. It doesn't have the familiar ahooga voice, though. The best way I can describe it is an earsplitting goose honk. It's incredibly loud and really funny sounding.

Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and J.Ukrop like this.
  16. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Oh, I do have one more shot from the road. Looks like somebody knew I was going into town. I think street cleaning is tomorrow? IMG_5866.jpg

JalopyJimbo, Woogeroo, enloe and 8 others like this.
  17. guitarguy

guitarguy

I love the Klaxon style Aoogah horns. To me it's so iconic for the period. I have one on my stock T- even if it's not correct. Had one on my doodlebug until the stater took that mounting area. And I'll have one on my roadster too....probably the one from the doodlebug.

Are you running it on 12 or 6 Volts? Be careful if your on 12 and it's a 6v horn. It could fail in sort order. Plus the 6v horns don't IMO sound as good on 12v because the motor spins to fast.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Where do you think you’ll mount it?

Stogy likes this.
  19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you for the info. I was under the impression that it would work just fine on 12V as long as I didn't lay on horn.

I was thinking about taking one from @Tribalmonkey's book and mounting it on the base of the steering column. It'll add some visual interest to the B-side of the engine while still remaining out in the open.

20. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I had a Klaxon on my 36 Willys, I think it came stock with it. Anyway I wondered about hooking up 12 volts to it, I think I put a horn relay in (late chevy 70ish) and It worked fine the two years I owned it. Used it a lot.

Pat

21. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Hey Joey - My current 6v horn in my coupe is running fine on 12v. It may be living on borrowed time; however, I plan to do the same with another 6v horn I have for the roadster. The horn is definitely a fun part of the car. Could also go the resistor route.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Stogy, J.Ukrop and bchctybob like this.
  22. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

6V horns work fine on 12V. Don't lay on it long and check the brushes in the motor from time to time. You'll be fine.

23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks for the horn advice, everyone. Hopefully I'll get to dive into it this week.

Also, I took the weekend off from roadster construction to go backpacking in the Sierras with my friends. It was a great opportunity to take a step back and return with a fresh perspective.
    9B6481A9-6F23-474F-B77B-255A45138C3A.jpg

AF1B3A92-6BAD-42A5-84D4-7F4D555B1675.jpg
    Speaking of which...

Today's update isn't much of a "Building My First Roadster..." Instead, it's a "Driving My First Roadster in San Francisco." Here are some Monday night highlights. IMG_5971.jpg
    Parking against the grain at Fort Mason.
    IMG_5973.jpg
    Bangers and bridges feat. Karl the Fog.
    IMG_5976.jpg
    Finally got to try Avellino Pizza today. Tasty NY-style pie and a nice patio. At this stop, I got to meet a handful of folks who were interested in the car and its history. One of them recognized me from my motorcycle days. Small world! IMG_5980.jpg
    Here's the car in front of the Chapel of Our Lady, which was built in 1864. I was expecting Cousin Ben to start the service at any moment.
    IMG_5981.jpg
    Fin. That's all for tonight! More updates happening soon.

24. Budget36

Budget36

If you could find another horn, you could wire them in series and each would get 6volts. Not sure what it would sound like, might be different though.

25. patsurf

patsurf

do you really believe that?

26. Budget36

Budget36

I see two wires on the horn he has, assume one is hot and one ground?

27. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Believe that each would get 6 volts, or that they would sound different?

28. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Most likely both ends of the electric horn motor would get 6 Volts, thus creating a potential of Zero volts across the electric horn motor. No current (i.e. Amps) would flow, the motor will not spin and the horn will exercise it's right to remain silent.

Russ

fourspd2quad likes this.
  29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

One horn, 12v, don't lay on it. You don't want to be involved in a road rage event in a roadster anyway! :eek:

30. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have a handful of hot rodding updates, and I figure there's no better time than Friday night to post them up. First and foremost, remember that time I went to Nebraska earlier this spring? Well, that was for a project. A big project. I'm excited to share that that project has been printed and is hitting mailboxes around the globe as we speak. Friends of the H.A.M.B., I bring you Slot Mag.
    IMG_5918.jpg
    Slot Mag
    is a hot rod, custom car and all-around vintage magazine sandwiched inside the almighty chopper magazine known as DicE. I'm honored to say longtime H.A.M.B.er @Kid Rocker chose me as Slot Mag's Editor in Chief.
    IMG_5911.jpg
    The first issue is dedicated to "The Omaha Coupe," which was originally built and campaigned in the early-'50s and is now being brought back by @tdog of South Omaha Speed. You know how much I love telling stories, and this is one of my favorite pieces I've ever written. IMG_5910.jpg
    Best of all, the story runs 16 pages and is loaded with historic photos. IMG_5913.jpg
    If you'd like a copy, you can scoop one up here.
    IMG_5914.jpg
    Oh, and the magazine is sponsored by Jalopy Journal!