Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mis-named Automotive Equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I'm starting this thread for discussion purposes only and not to create something for some to disparage, argue, or insult any posters. So if you can't abide by that I say move on...

I know the engine (correct LOL) versus motor debate will rage on forever but that's ok. What I like to read about in others opinions is how some automotive equipment has been tagged with misnomers. Case in point is the Automatic and Standard transmissions. The opposite of automatic would be manual but back in the day manual transmissions were viewed as the standard issue and hence their name. But I still use the term though I try to check myself. Another example would be the "emergency" versus "parking " brake. For this I can see both being appropriate though in some forums it is only a parking brake to which I would ask what would you do in an emergency? (Must be the result of never driving a "standard" trans...LOL)

We could also look at high beam versus country/highway lights as well.

So what are your views and are there other pieces of equipment that come to mind?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    clem likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Localisms has something to do with it.
    Manual trans being called "standard trans" is all too easy, The three speed manual was the standard transmission in cars or trucks and the 4 speed truck or later car trans or automatic was an option. Came with a 3 speed as standard equipment.

Park brake, Emergency brake is probably who ever wrote the info on it. When they had the lever next to the floor shifter they were far more likely to be called an emergency brake. When you pull the handle under the dash or push the pedal next to the kick panel you of think them as a park brake than emergency brake. Still probably more about who you learned your terms from than anything else.

3. Interior light or dome light? WTH is a dome anyway? Rear windshield or rear window?

4. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Headlight or headlamp - just discovered this while Googling a headxxxx switch.

Condenser or capacitor - depends on who you are talking to - sometimes can alert you to someone who enjoys being that Richard Head....

Russ

fauj likes this.

5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

No much wind to be shielded from through the rear window!

fauj likes this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I would bet that the electrical engineers crowd would favour the capacitor term. Very polite referring to Richard by the way!

fauj and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  7. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Usage is a thing that evolves over time and location. It's strange how some folks can get quite worked up about terms like hubcap vs. wheel cover, sway bar vs. anti-sway bar.

Tinfoil hats are actually made of aluminum...:D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  8. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

Aluminium, not aluminum ;)

9. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, stop reading my thoughts. :)

stillrunners and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. “ cherry picker “ for an engine hoist .
    “ jibble jack “ under hoist jack
    “Windscreen” windshield
    Back light , back glass , rear windshield
    Hub cap , wheel cover
    Frost plug , casting plug , welsh plug , butt plug
    “ bondo “ for any type of body filler
    Indicator , blinker , turn signals
    Idiot lights , warning lights

Some places in Quebec and the surrounding area call it “ Prestone “ instead of coolant

along with all the ones that have been said

lifter , tappet , follower

the list goes on and on the more you think about it , a lot has to go with how old you are I think .

11. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Now a standard transmission is an automatic as most cars and trucks don't have a manual transmission available.

12. Oilguy

Oilguy

Parking lamps. Never did understand that term. Never used the lights when parking, either. Maybe it has to do with parking along the side of a dark narrow road in the middle of the night.

jimmy six likes this.
  13. Rckt98

Rckt98

This side of the world we have bonnet v hood.

14. If my hydraulic brakes fail and I grab the parking brake, I'm pretty sure it becomes an emergency brake!

15. Rckt98

Rckt98

And to make it more confusing we have a hood lining inside the car.

fauj likes this.
  16. Oilguy

Oilguy

And you also have dizzies. Or is that the UK?

fauj likes this.
  17. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

This is making me dizzy -- what is that any way?

Why isn't the rear end all the way to the back?

NashRodMan and Fortunateson like this.
  18. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I am a retired electrical engineer (courtesy of many years in night school...). I bought a Delco (Trademarked division of the General Engine Corporation) ignition condenser to stabilize the reference voltage to a Ford voltage regulator (Very Off Topic Ford alternator hanging from the side of a Cummins 4bt in a 1986 Ford F150). Just speak the language of the person that you are talking to (Si habla Gringo?...).

EDIT: Night

19. Jokester

Jokester

Dashboard???? I prefer instrument panel. My horses don't "dash" much anymore.

.bjb

fauj and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rev counter or tach. Dynamo or generator. Earth or ground.

fauj, stillrunners and VANDENPLAS like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A bit before my time but many model T's had the accelerator moved from the column to the floor and it was referred to as a foot feed.

upload_2021-6-13_13-55-19.png

olscrounger, Rickybop, fauj and 3 others like this.
  22. Slopok

Slopok

23. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Yep, we have dizzies.

We also have guards (fenders), spanners (wrenches), boots (trunk), sills (rocker panel), tyres (with a "Y"), bog (bondo), bonnets (hoods), seat belts (safety belts), wheel nuts (lug nuts), exhaust pipe (tail pipe), petrol (gas) and tailshafts (prop shafts).

Our hotrods often have Armstrong power steering (a car without any power steering) and 4-and-80 airconditioning (4 windows down and 80 miles per hour). Sometimes fast glass (electric windows), but rarely Stairs to the Roof (rear window louvre). You will not find Gibbs, Marvel or Kroil here, but everyone has a tin (can) of dubbeyah-dee fourtee (aka Mechanic in a Can).

The British are often rightfully mortified with what we do to the Queen's English :)

Cheers,
    Harv

24. big john d

big john d
    from ma

25. Cotter pin - who was Cotter? The British "split pin" makes more sense.

Baumi, fauj and VANDENPLAS like this.
  26. "Foot feed" ("feed" it more gas (petrol)) and "emergency brake", I would guess harken back to the Model T/Model A cross over years: the Model T had a hand throttle, the Model A had a foot pedal. The Model T had a foot brake on the transmission and an "emergency" brake that was hand operated.
    Glove box/Jockey box

27. He was a high school teacher wasn't he?

28. Forget emergency or parking brake...it's a handbrake;)

29. In the auto industry,,,you find out real quick it is not called an emergency brake .
    It is a park brake .
    I assume it is the connotation that it can be used to stop the car in an emergency,,,,which it would not be able to do .

However,,,,it is a very good tool to use as an extra safety margin while the car is parked .
    Because,,,,even though you think you put it all the way in park,,,,, the pawl did not completely enter the slot and lock in place .
    Ooohhh boy,,,,,,,the things can go wrong when that happens .

Yes,,,,it took me a while to get used to calling it a park brake ,,,,,but now I use that term as if it was always called that.
    I just wished more people used them,,,,,,most dont .

Tommy

30. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

My Dad said "hi beams" and "low beams", My Mom said Bright lights

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    fauj, stillrunners and clem like this.