Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical To the Studebaker guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37slantback, Jun 12, 2021.

1. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drove a 59 Hawk today. It was a 259 4 barrel with automatic. The take off was pretty slushy. It reminded me of when I drove a 56 Vicky and commented it feels like the auto transmission needs rebuilt not knowing it only had a 100 miles on a fresh rebuild.

So, is this normal for that era of transmissions? I have only had manuals in those years.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  2. 42merc

42merc

Could be the Borg Warner trans was used in Ford as well as the Stude.

3. Yes, Borg Warner Flight o Matic and they start off in second.

4. southerncad

southerncad

Yup, next time you drive it start it off in low and you will notice a big difference, you can change the valve body out, with a 6 cyl. tran. one and it will start in 1st gear then.

302GMC and dana barlow like this.

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Put it in low,if you want a Grandmom auto tranny to take off. I like a clutch/standard 3 or 4 speed. Auto tranny in good shape can work pretty well,if you know how to drive it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Flathead Dave likes this.
  6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Have to know how to drive them...

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There is a reason auto trans cars were not considered performance cars back in the day. The first efforts at getting drag race performance out of an automatic was the reworked Torqueflites and Clutchflites in the mid sixties. Later autos are much better, and can equal the acceleration of all but the most expert box men. Before the mid sixties you bought a stick shift if you wanted to go. Slush boxes were strictly for squares and grandmas.

Texas Webb likes this.
  8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Not to hijack but can a similar mod be done to a '56 Ford automatic?

9. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys , that sure explains it.

10. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

I’m no Stude expert, but I’m pretty sure a ‘59 Hawk would have had a 259” V8... and may not have had the Borg Warner tranny yet. There was a 2 speed slush box for a long while before the BW was introduced (just like Ford). If it has the later 289” (standard or Avanti) motor, it could have the BW trans too.

The BW in the Stude was a unique variant. They were basically a manual shift valve body with 1, 2, and 3 (2&3) shift positions. These had bronze clutch plates instead of friction lined, and were built to be tough. They also did not incorporate a vacuum modulator.

The BW in my Avanti is slushy on takeoff... just like any other trans if starting off in 2nd gear (or 1st in a 2 speed). But when using 1st, it’s responsive on takeoff, and shifts are crisp and firm at all speeds.

Attached Files:

11. jaracer

jaracer

I don't know, my old T-Bird takes off pretty good in second. I have no problem getting ahead of most traffic from a stop light. If I really want to go, all I have to do is floor it and it shift into low and barks the tires.

12. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Here's the action that no ones actually explained -

1. Put the trans. into low, accelerate to a desired, normal shift speed.

2. Shift into drive...for a second ! As SOON as the trans. is in second gear, pull the shifter back into low gear. Accelerate to your desired speed.

3. Shift into drive again for the final time...you're on your way.

Did this many years in my 59 Lark, mostly getting onto the freeway.
    It may take a little practice to get it done smoothly, but don't worry, it will not...hurt the transmission.

Mike

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    Texas Webb likes this.
  13. AWSOME cars for building hot rods. We started out with one with that “Premium rust Package “ Lol
    Been a long year and starting to drive, nobody knows exactly what it is. It has different looks and is an attention getter.
    Looking forward to GoodGuys show in Columbus this coming week. 8675E8D5-72A9-4A59-AE8E-5F0F11E8F90E.jpeg 4128437C-8531-4A08-AB44-B0397801A9A1.jpeg 49AD8B34-DEA3-4891-99E1-C79BF1D8D431.jpeg

loudbang and Texas Webb like this.
  14. Damn nice looking Stude!

loudbang likes this.