Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Worm drive clamps,, ever notice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jun 11, 2021.

1. They are either 1/4” too short or well over an 1” too long?
    Worm drive clamps aren’t anyone’s favorite but they could be better. H

scotty t, 26 T Ford RPU, fauj and 3 others like this.
  2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Had girlfriends along the way that complained about that too... Either it was too long or too short.....

Ended up with one who complained it was too long.... Better for my self ego.....

loudbang, Boryca, fauj and 11 others like this.
  3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, maddening when details count. Worse yet, now harder to find the ones that aren't slotted almost all the way around. Used to be you could take one just a bit oversized, sinch it up, then mark it and cut off the excess and also hide the worm drive out of sight. Maybe 1 in 100 would notice the absence of slots but it made me feel good.

4. squirrel

squirrel

I've only noticed that about the ones I have laying around...because all the ones that fit, I already used.

There are a whole bunch of different sizes, figure out what sizes you really need, get a box of 10 of each of those. 6M, 8M, 10, 12, 24, and 32 are good sizes.

BoilermakerDave, AHotRod, Tim and 9 others like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that like all too many things automotive cost cutting by suppliers and parts houses has cut out a lot of sizes we used to get in the 60's and 70's. Remembering when I was a lot younger and you went in and bought a hose the parts person turned around to a rack with about a dozen sizes of clamps on it and got the one that was the closest exact fit to your hose. Now you get one that is almost too small or way too long in a one size covers a lot of hose diameters thing.

williebill likes this.
  6. Blake 27

Blake 27

I agree with HIGHLANDER, It's the little things that add up, even if no one notices I know I tried to pay attention to details. 1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

7. Paulz

Paulz

Parts store clamps, yes, very limited selection.
    Clamps from McMaster Carr, no. They have a ton of different sizes. And they're not really that expensive.

8. squirrel

squirrel

If you ask for the specific part number for the size you need, instead of just looking at what's in the bubble packs out on the floor, you can get pretty close to the right size. Definitely closer than 1" hanging out the end.

9. Paulz

Paulz

Problem is, less and less parts stores are stocking the bulk boxes in the back room (of more than just clamps) and going to the self serve bubble packed crap hanging on hooks in the front of the store. Right next to the 48 different kinds of tire shine and air fresheners.
    Our local Carquest is still pretty good, but I've seen the decline from what it was since I first started using them 30 years ago.

10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A pair if yellow handle sheet metal shears will cut the long ones to length.

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ace Hardware has a good loose selection to choose from as well. Both upper and lower radiator hose flag out the same thanks to them.

williebill likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

I have been shopping at Ace for clamps recently. Just because it's convenient.

The real parts store used to have a similar rack of them out front...no more, though. Now you have to ask for them.

I did look up online, our local Oreillys has all the sizes in bulk, in stock behind the counter.

fauj, Hnstray and Johnny Gee like this.
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm usually more concerned with placing the screw where I can get at it easily when I have to, and it's 110 degrees outside, or it's dark, and raining, and wrenching on the car is the last thing I want to do. Having it visible doesn't faze me one iota...

14. I have that “parts store rack” in my shop.
    two of them actually autoCraft and Ideal tridon
    I buy in bulk not the bubble pack.
    Maybe I should shop someplace else. I know McMaster Carr has just about anything you’d ever want, but in my limited exposure to them they’ve been 2,3 even 4x the cost. (Selling convenience). Maybe I should give them another look.

O’Reilly’s has been doing me well lately.

Tman likes this.
  15. It’s those details,,, sometimes they matter. Sometimes they just don’t. Isn’t kinda weird walking over to a stunning ride seen from afar & start check out some details and they didn’t get one?
    Then, I built a car for a guy. It’s definitely hamb era but the 50’ view would be pushing the topic. Now start taking in the close up details and it’s quite impressive. He get compliments and show awards and lots of questions and comments.

Sometimes I don’t care about the looks, it’s about making my life easier and as long as the hose stays on I’m happy. Sometimes that don’t even happen though. Ever have one of them cheap clamps bend and let the screw loose? How about when the hose gently oozes thru the holes in the band? Impressive like a playdough factory.

TrailerTrashToo and Blues4U like this.
  16. I've given up on screw-drive clamps and changed over to the complete band type with one t-bolt. They clamp 360 degrees, don't damage (leave tracks in) the hose, and look cleaner IMHO. I always put the bolts on the bottom: a little harder to get to, but look better.

17. LAROKE

LAROKE

I've been ordering stainless steel worm drive clamps from McMaster-Carr with thumb screws for detailing out my old engines. They work for me.

[​IMG]

18. scotty t likes this.
  19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

They should have Phillips heads.

Truck64, jnaki and rockable like this.
  20. I've been buying 'stuff' from Mcmaster-Carr for 20 years or so and while they're not the always the cheapest, I've never once gotten junk from them either. The main issue with buying hardware from them is they have minimums and you may end up with a lifetime supply on some things. But I live out in the boonies, so the time/fuel costs of hunting some things down locally can outweigh that; much easier when it shows up on my doorstep... LOL. Plus buying bulk can sometimes be almost as or cheaper as buying small amounts locally. The 'extras' have come in handy more than once...

21. Budget36

Budget36

Fastenal carries good clamps as well. I’ll check tonight at work and see if the “worm” is SS as well, always hate the ones that the head gets rusty with age, yet the band is still shiny

22. Paulz

Paulz

T bolt clamps are what I used on mine. I learned to love them working on heavy duty truck radiator and turbo hoses. Also made tool to make wire clamps for where I had to connect two hose bends together to get them where I needed to go. IMG-20180509-00011 (1).jpg

23. goldmountain

goldmountain

I found a thread on YouTube that promoted the use of those spring clamps that are found on newer cars. I hate fighting with those but the guy did have a good point. When the hose gets hot and expands, the worm drive clamps Don't expand where the spring clamps do. They look ugly but maybe worth considering.

jimmy six likes this.
  24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Finding quality worm gear clamps is a problem anymore. Doesn't seem like the band is as thick as it used to be, I've stripped some out where the older ones would have tightened. And the rusting screw heads on some of them, yuk. I try to find the USA made ones, but they seem to be getting harder and harder to find. Any time I part a car out or go to a junk yard, I try and pick up as many as I can save if they are the good ones.

I'm like Blues4U, I don't worry about lining them up, I put them where I can get a nut driver or socket on the screw head, I only use those that have the hex and flat screwdriver heads. Sucks trying to tighten a clamp on a hot engine for a dribble leak if you can't access the screw easily.

X-cpe and Blues4U like this.
  25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

When going for detail I use the Gates heat shrink band clamps.
    I don't tend to take stuff apart after I build it.

The Shift Wizard and ffr1222k like this.
  26. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I like to use too long ones, then cut off the excess. I use the corner of a grinding wheel to cut them, then carefully round them and smooth them so they don't slice anyone's hand.

I've noticed recent ones have specially rounded screwdriver slots to help the screwdriver slip out, so I use a nut driver on them.

And why do they even sell ones that have a non-stainless screw?

27. leon bee

leon bee

I've gathered a few boxes of really nice, old made in USA new clamps. Most of the handy sizes. But I've become too much of a hoarder and can't bring myself to use them so they stay tucked away in my special drawer while I grumble and use the shitty ones commonly available.

28. Ziggster

Ziggster

Was thinking the same thing not long ago when building my flathead exhaust. Either too short or too long. Haha! Same point as someone already mentioned about non-stainless screws. Typically the screws get corroded and buggered such you need new clamps when removing old ones.

29. They do make worm clamps in the correct sizes we need.

problem is you end up with 10,00000000 boxes of clamps all 1/4” different just to get “ the right one!!:mad:

gotta have 20 boxes or more at work with different worm clamps .

it gets annoying on the road when you can only carry so much stuff and the only clamps you have are either 3” to long and won’t tighten or 3/16” to short and can’t get it over the hose and it’s 430 on a Friday afternoon and your in buttfuck no where land. !!!

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  30. Good, until you find the hex (on the high quality parts they make now-a-days) is neither SAE or metric.