Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Southeast Gassers 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by southcross2631, Oct 28, 2020.

1. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

loudbang likes this.
  2. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

What ET do the top cars in your class run ?

loudbang likes this.
  3. southcross2631

southcross2631

went over to my friends shop we chucked it up in his lathe. We got out his crank polishing belt sander and in less than 15 minutes I have a nicely polished ready to clean and install Scat crank. Most of the marks were bearing material and not scars on the crank.
    got my new cam in today. it is a Comp # 35-772-8. .614-.621 286-292. 248-254 @ .050 110 lobe separation. Old cam was Howard's 222123-08 . .683-.672 291-299. 259-267 @ .050 108 lobe separation.
    Quite a bit milder ,should work good with my ported dual plane . Trying to decide if I should install it at 104.
    a little less on top end ,but a lot more off the line and through the middle. Seeing as we only race 1/8 th mile it should work good. Comp wants it installed at 106 center line.

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

there are 5 cars in the 6.80's . I look for somebody to go into the 6.70's if we get some cool weather and a good biting track. I hope with this cam change to be in the 7.30's and from there it is just working my way down to be competitive. a new intake and 2 holleys maybe some gearing and new headers.

bchctybob, AHotRod, Budget36 and 5 others like this.
  5. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Yeah, the Howard is a tunnel ram cam.

Joe

loudbang likes this.
  6. southcross2631

southcross2631

I need to find out if I need to do their shock tower conversion to fit those headers. I already bought a set of 1 3/4 Doug's headers that the guy said would fit my car. He didn't tell me they had to have a Mustang 2 front end for them to fit. I might cut them up and make them fit .There are about 3 tubes to rework and they would fit. No worse than the Headman's I have on there now.

Thor1 likes this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Not according to Howard's cams tech dept. It is a good super stock cam.

ottoman likes this.
  8. 6sally6

6sally6

Mike.....have you trimmed back the inside of those durn shock towers? (was NOT one of Ford's better ideas IMO)
    IF.........you use coil overs on the front, you could really take a chunck out of the insides of the towers. Maybe enough to fit those 'big-pipz' a little easier!!
    Not sure if the coil over style would be legal for Super Stock!?!
    6sally6

Thor1 likes this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Nope can't use coil overs in the front or back. Everybody should go to the SEGA website and read the rules for Super Stock . Then figure out why I have to give a weight break to a 67 Camaro with a 427 vs my combination.
    Like I said before IF I HAD THE MONEY !! I would be building an FE to drop into my car then I could run at 8.25 lbs per cube vs 9.5 lbs per cube like I am now. The last years points champ is running on the ragged edge with his 320 inch 65 Comet and he has to be perfect every pass to beat those other combinations that we run against.
    Most of the top running cars are now going to pro race engine shops for their engines. Not building them in a 10x 20 wooden storage shed like I am. I am not bitching , just realizing that I am getting out moneyed and that's the way racing has been and will always be.
    Now I hear Tommy Mauney the ex pro mod guy is finishing his car and Ed Hoover is looking for a car.
    Seems like all of Quain's pro mod buddies are looking for a place to play.

10. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

It's fun just to run! ;)

Joe

loudbang and SilverJimmy like this.
  11. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

I saw this at Shady Side last May. 3BA9EE03-8C93-4DA1-BAD1-09CE5F75A36A.jpeg Stainless steel, Tig welded, step design, high tech merge collector and CNC flanges. I’m thinking this guy has more loot in these headers than you have in your whole engine! I loved seeing it, wouldn’t look forward to running against it….
    But, then again, beating those guys is the BEST!

Spoggie, bchctybob, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Yes I know exactly the 55 Chevy you saw those headers on. Last years B/Gas world champ and yes he does have more in those headers than I have in my whole motor.
    I will keep saving up for better parts so I can run better. A face plated top loader alone would probably gain me a few tenths, but since I only have one top loader I can't tear mine down and send them the gears to faceplate and then wait 6 weeks to get them back. So I will just baby this one until this winter and then tear it down and send them off.
    Unless somebody has a good 2nd ,3rd and 4 th gear. They would like to donate.

13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Winning isn't everything but losing sucks.

loudbang and 51504bat like this.
  14. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Pulling wheelies with a wagon is top-notch Boss! More than one way to win. :cool:

Joe

15. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Doing that winning is better!

loudbang likes this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Towing 5 or 6 hours to a race and spending a couple of days at the track and not getting out of the first round gets old and so we are working hard to make the car better to qualify in the top half of the field.
    We really enjoy the people we race against or we would have quit a long time ago.

Spoggie, brEad, Crosley and 7 others like this.
  17. I’ve enjoyed your journey and I respect the fact you’ve put your heart and soul into your car...staying within a budget...seeing that wagons front wheels in the air puts a smile on my face...

18. Hang in there ol buddy, i know you'll get it there.

19. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

The paint scheme you and Lloyd cooked up is hooking a lot of people. I've turned a few old Ford racers on to it and they really dig it. It's unique and stands out from the rest of the field. A lot of people are rootin' for ya. It's bigger than you know ;)

Joe

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

We appreciate all of the love and moral support we are getting. We just sent the last payment out on our shirts and so now everyone we sell from here on can go to the car.
    Maybe we can start buying some more parts. I have had a couple of businesses say they want to help, but when you tell them it's time to pony up the cash for sponsorship they just crawfish back into their holes.
    We will get better, I know in my heart there is more speed in the car than we have had so far. I have been doing this too long to not have learned a few things. I have built what I would consider a good car.
    I have even sought out advice from other Ford racers to bring in some new eyes to see if I am missing something. We are hoping the new cam will show improvement in a big way ,if not then the combo is wrong and we need to start over with a new short block.

21. 6sally6

6sally6

I've " heard"....about several guys on YouTube who have such a huge following they can (for example) sell 10,000 of their T-shirts for 20 bux a pop and net nearly 1/4 million from their "followers" just for a T-SHIRT!!!
    That's just ONE thing they do to make car money! I realize there is a lot of work to get a following that large (millions!) but.....WOW!!:eek: that kinda money doing what most of us would do for fun!
    Ain't 'Mercuh great!
    6sally6

Spoggie, 427 sleeper and Thor1 like this.
  22. southcross2631

southcross2631

I saw a video the other day where they sold 200 shirts in one day. Of course that's the kids only job is to run their shipping and receiving dept.

Valentines Speed Shop likes this.
  23. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

nhra figured that deal out several years ago. You have to buy driver shirts through them now.:rolleyes:

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  24. I did not know that, but I'm not surprised one bit :-(

25. southcross2631
    from Athens, Tennesse

I saw a video the other day where they sold 200 shirts in one day. Of course that's the kids only job is to run their shipping and receiving dept.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that watches Street Racing Channel garage

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  26. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I need to clarify what I posted, at the races nhra sells all the apparel not the racers. That changed 2005 or so.

27. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

A few days ago I looked at Don Schumacher Racing site and their "store" linktook me to the nhra nitro mall site. I don't know if other team,sites are the same.

Thor1, Junior Stock and loudbang like this.
  28. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

They may be profit sharing with the teams like the other sports franchises and skimming off the top. IDK but it's the typical business model.

Joe

Spoggie and loudbang like this.
  29. southcross2631

southcross2631

I like those guys. I saw them at a back end of the track race . Good family. Good people.

Thor1 and Valentines Speed Shop like this.
  30. No replacement for displacement.... LOLOL...

Was it Art or Walt Chrisman who ran the blown and injected FE Comet wagon? LOL...

loudbang and Thor1 like this.