Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Lincoln Capri 302 and transmission swap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldLincolnguy55, Jun 6, 2021.

1. OldLincolnguy55

OldLincolnguy55

I was planning on a 302 Swap for my 1955 Lincoln Capri. My main issue is I can't really decide which transmission to go with. I know a lot of people go with the AOD transmission though I have absolutely no idea on what's involved with that. I know I managed to find some engine mounts for the 302 for Lincolns of that time period and they have good ratings. The reason why I want a 302 is the cost of parts compared to a y-block make it way more viable for a car I'll drive frequently. Thanks in advance!

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The sbf can be just about whatever you want, 200 hp economy or a 500 hp hotrod. If you don't have a transmission now I would definitely go with the overdrive auto or manual.

OldLincolnguy55 likes this.
  3. Step up to a 351W, you'll glad you did. The 351 produces a lot more torque compared to a 302 and you'll want that to move that heavy Lincoln. Cost-wise there's very little difference from the 302. As far as trans choice, a AOD would be a good one, just don't go with a gas-guzzling C6....

JeffB2, 73RR, partssaloon and 4 others like this.
  4. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Dad had one of those for several years, 1955 till 1962. I think Steve is right on the money about a 351, the original motor was about that size, and pretty high compression for its day. Dad’s had the hydro matic IIRC. So the 351/AOD would be a good step up for today’s traffic. Might have to look at the rear end ratio.

Every time I walk by one of those it makes me smile.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021

5. Rand Man

Rand Man

What condition is your original motor? I would like to have one of those. I would recommend the 351 also. I think the AOD would be great, but make sure that shift linkage is perfect. You can burn them up left and right if they aren’t setup just right.

6. OldLincolnguy55

OldLincolnguy55

Alright I wanted to thank y'all for your advice! I definitely go for a 351 instead with an AOD. The rear end ratio is 3.31 if the figures I've found are right. Thanks again y'all!

7. OldLincolnguy55

OldLincolnguy55

I'd have to look to be honest. All I know so far is she doesn't run. It's a California car but I'd have to make sure it's not locked up and it turns over at least. It's probably been sitting since the 70s most likely.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  8. Truckedup

Truckedup

If money is no problem,lol,rebuilding the original engine and trans would be nice for normal use...If you expect to take long trips then an over trans would be better....but might be a hassle to mate to the Lincoln Y block..

F-ONE and OldLincolnguy55 like this.
  9. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

What mounts did you find for the swap? I may be doing the same to the '53 that my wife bought a couple months back. Supposedly it ran and drove...but we shall see. Worst case the Lincoln Y block ends up in an open fender hot rod. I was leaning more towards a C4 personally. Paired with a 28-29" tall tire and a low 3.something gearset it should cruise at 65-70 comfortably.

10. OldLincolnguy55

OldLincolnguy55

11. OldLincolnguy55

OldLincolnguy55

Unfortunately for me it is. My budget isn't that good since I'm trying to do a budget semi-restomod.

12. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

So they are just fancy universal mounts it looks like? For the money I would personally just fabricate something of my own. If you are set on an overdrive transmission you might want to look at a 4r70W. Basically a modern electronic version of an AOD that is beefier and has better gear ratios. It will require a standalone controller though. They are cheaper to boot and should be easier to find a good one in a junkyard.

13. OldLincolnguy55

OldLincolnguy55

I found some other mounts and they said they were for a Ford 302 but it also says for chevy small block in the description.

14. The Ford AOD is pretty reliable and straight forward. I am not a big fan of AOD in a hot rod or custom but the install should be easy enough.

For me personally I would would lean toward a C4 or a C6. Both of those are also reliable transmissions and the install would also be pretty straight forward. The C4 is a small (in physical size and weight) transmission and lots of aftermarket support if you want to make a hot rod out of your Lincoln and the C6 is just pretty stout from the git. So either for me would be a good choice behind a small block.

15. OldLincolnguy55

OldLincolnguy55

Do you know if the 4r70w would fit easily enough without much fabrication? I'm trying to minimize how much extra work would need to be done. The standalone controller probably shouldn't be the biggest deal breaker though I'd have to read into the cost aspect of it.

16. 56MercMan

56MercMan

My 56 Merc has a 302 and a C4. Pretty simple swap. Motor mounts were bought and the trans crossmember was bought off Jegs. It had a 312. Sitting in the shed now.

17. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

Not sure on the fitment of the 4r70W. They look pretty slim. Since they are based on a AOD which is based on a C4 I believe I was not to worried about it. My current thought was to try to find a 2wd Explorer. That would give me a roller 302, good heads, a transmission and a 8.8" rear axle with 3.73 or 4.10 gears and likely a posi. From the reading I have done the Lincoln rears are wider...like 58"-60". Does anyone know off hand? I was surprised how much backspacing the wheels had. The Explorer 8.8's are 59.5" wide. I figured on redrilling the axles to the big ford pattern so I could use the original wheels. Just something to think about anyways. Do you have any pictures of the car? What are your goals for it?

18. OldLincolnguy55

OldLincolnguy55

To be honest the photos I have aren't very good I have a week before it arrives due to arrangements that need to be made to clear out my driveway. I looked it over in person and they was hardly any rust or dents. It was mostly minor stuff on the body. The inteior in the other hand looks really rough since it's a California car. I'm really trying to just have a good driver quality car that I wouldn't be to scared to drive since I know if I had a show car I'd be scared to even touch it. I'd probably just have to compare the 4r70w to the aod and see if there is any issues that could be found with putting one in. If it's like the AOD I believe it should fit right in though I'm not going to bet 100%.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  19. OldLincolnguy55

OldLincolnguy55

It probably should be the same thing exactly then. I'll look on there and see what I can find.

20. 56MercMan

56MercMan

Sorry. Looks like it did not save where I bought the motor mounts from. It meant to say... Motor mounts were bought from Fatman Fabrications.

Unless?? Am I not allowed to say the company name on here? Let me know if a mod deleted that so I know for future posts.

21. OldLincolnguy55

OldLincolnguy55

Thanks for telling me. I'll make a note of that ASAP. I figure it's best to have all my information together as soon as possible

22. OldLincolnguy55

OldLincolnguy55

I've done some reading and supposedly a 4r70w can be swapped into a car with an AOD seamlessly according to some foxbody forums. The only aspect that hurts is the cost of a stand alone computer which is around 500 on all of them that I've seen. It seems that I have a lot of options to look for. My idea so far is look at those auctions for totaled cars and see if I can find something that has what I require. Another option is just getting the engine and transmission from car-part.com or some place like that depending on the pricing and what not. Knowing I have a lot of options makes this way easier honestly. I know I want to go with a 351w instead of a 302 for sure and at least some more modern overdrive transmission. My best bet probably would be comparing prices of the engine and transmissions. I'm excited to actually get this project going once my car arrives.

23. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I have been working on these old cars since I was 15 years old. That's nearly 35 years. I can tell you this, no engine swap is easy. No engine swap is really what I would call "economical". There's always something that comes up.

The Lincoln Y block is a rare engine. Being a rare engine some of the hard parts are difficult to find. The Lincoln Y block is really a pretty cool engine and it's "one of those things"....If it was in running condition, the coolness of that engine would "make the car."

Part of the fun with an obsolete engine is searching for and scrounging up parts. The basic parts like gaskets, bearings and rings are available. Pistons on the other hand, look to be hard to find. You can find them but they'll be expensive or NOS. A lot of times though, an engine does not have to have new pistons.

Since you do not have the car yet, you really don't know the condition of the engine. It's really worth the time and money, mostly time, to see if that engine can be saved. It may not need a rebuild. It may be ruined. It's worth checking out.

An engine swap is understandable if the engine is too far gone. It likely has a 4 speed Hydro....this is one of the best automatics ever made but it is obsolete.

Lets look at some costs and compatibility issues....
    How much does a good 302/351 cost?
    How much does it cost to have a 302/351 purchased and rebuilt?
    AOD...What AOD? When you get into the 90s you want to stay away from the EAOD so that means a 30 plus year old automatic.
    A donor vehicle??....How much is that going to cost?
    This Lincoln probably had power steering. Will this work with the donor engine? If not how much is it going to cost to adapt something that will work. It could be as simple a brackets and pulleys but then again....
    Fitment....Mounts, radiators body and chassis modification....How much is this going to cost and if it needs to be fabricated, do you have the skill and equipment to do it.....
    Labor....yes labor. It's a lot of hard dirty work. A reputable shop would charge, thousands.

OK...I could go on and on about what you will run into with an engine swap.
    Each issue I bring up begins to take bites out of the cost of rebuilding the original engine you already have.
    If the engine needs a total rebuild, you'll save a little money by re-powering the car but not as much as you think.
    If the engine only needs some TLC or as much as a ring job, you'll be far ahead in keeping it.

With all this said, you may be better off repowering the car.

Personally there's no way in the world I would put SBF in this car. Besides going back with another Lincoln Y block.....
    I would go with either a FE 352/390 or a Ford 460.

williebill and OldLincolnguy55 like this.
  24. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

F-ONE brings up some good points. Thankfully mine does not have power steering, but still there are a lot of little things that add up. I figured I would have a couple grand into a donor vehicle and trans controller if I decide to go that route. Then I have to make it fit, run , etc.

The transmission is my personal sticking point on weather or not to stick with the Lincoln Y block or not. Hydromatics are supposed to be good, but I honestly know nothing about automatics and even less about outdated ones. All if my cars are sticks. This one is for my wife. What is involved with getting / keeping a Hydromatic working these days? Supposedly the FE and Lincoln Y block bellhousings are very similar. Possible trans swap maybe? Or again maybe best to just stick money into what is there and hope you never have something go wrong in the middle of a long road trip.

25. OldLincolnguy55

OldLincolnguy55

I'll look into the engine and see what I can do with the original engine I have a feeling the engine seals are going to be bad since it was sitting for a long time. I know the rear suspension seal has gone bad and that could be why it was left to sit. I don't know the exact time it's been sitting but if I remember correctly the switched to the ford three speed they added with the more powerful engine that year though I'm not 100% sure since I'm going off of Wikipedia. I've recently gotten into Lincoln and ford products after I saw that one and instantly knew that's what I wanted so I'm probably way newer here than most people. But I'll see how the engine is once it arrives. I figure it's best to look at all possibilities

26. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

BTW 1955 was the last year for FoMoCo using 6 Volt. Lincolns may have changed earlier but I doubt it.

Being a high end car, if the car has a lot of accessories AC, power windows...and other ding dongs and hoo hoos...that kind of stuff...It's best to keep it 6V. That kind of stuff does not work well or at all converted to 12V.

^^^^
    Got Power Windows......;)

27. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

That would be a Cruisomatic....
    The 50s Fordomatics and Cruisomatics are good transmissions. That design morphed into the FMX and AOD. If it has that transmission...that's good. It is not as rare as the Hydro. Also this may be another reason to consider a early FE with a Cruisomatic.
    I doubt the Lincoln Y block is the same pattern as the FE. But the Criusomatic was iron cased so it may be possible to swap a Ford FE Cruisomatic bellhousing to the present transmission.
    With FoMoCo....nothing really interchanges well, but then again since they always had "A Better Idea" changing stuff nearly every year....This means although stuff may not interchange, it may can with the right combination of parts. I know that makes little sense, but it does if you know Fords.

That seal is probably a pinion seal. It's no bid deal to replace. I had to put one in my 51 Coupe.

28. OldLincolnguy55

OldLincolnguy55

I know they make voltage regulators worst case situation using 12 volt. Though that would be another expense. I don't think it has AC but good quality voltage regulators gets pricy for sure. They are for sure 6 volt though I might have to sort through the wiring. Luckily there was no evidence of mice so I might be able to keep the original wiring though if there is enough issues I'll rewire it. What impressed me with cars from that time frame was the quality of cars built back then compared to now.

29. You paint a rather dire picture.... LOL

The 341 in the '55 Lincoln is a one-year-only displacement and will have a lot of unique parts on it. That engine series was discontinued after '57 (being replaced by the MEL) so very few parts are going to be easily found. One upside is the GM Hydramatic was gone, being replaced in '55 with a 'standard' Fordomatic three-speed auto, possibly opening a door to a later FMX swap although that would take some thorough research. There will be near-zero aftermarket support for this motor. Things like water pumps, fuel pumps, distributors won't be found at parts houses either, so if the end use is long-distance cruising that needs to be taken into account. Probably has a teapot Holley on it too. And I hate to say it, but the few places that do supply parts for these orphan motors don't always seem very concerned about quality control, adding more questions as to reliability. It can be a stiff price to pay for 'cachet'...

If the OP can perform the swap himself, a swap will likely be the least-expensive route. If he's writing checks, then a thorough rebuild may prove cheaper. A pro shop that can perform this swap competently won't be inexpensive. As this is a off-the-beaten-path swap, there will be fabricating involved for sure, but you'll have that with almost any swap.

As to engine choice, I wouldn't consider anything other than a 351W if costs and reliability are concerns. Equal or better power compared to the 341, and a miles-deep parts pool. And a budget option for more zip that's seldom mentioned is 'lo buck' stroking it. If you buy an $400 3.85" stroker crank, you can use the OEM 351 rods and off-the-shelf 302 pistons for 392 inches. Not suitable for racing, but plenty good for lots of street grunt. While I love my FEs, the joke that FE stands for effing expensive is still true and they're getting harder to find. A 429/460? I'll grant that rebuild costs won't be much more than the Windsor, but neither of these motors have the transmission options the 351 offers unless you get into expensive adaptors. A C6, while nearly bulletproof, is a mileage-killer.

OldLincolnguy55 and F-ONE like this.
  30. LOLOL! Yep, they're not Chevys where you can pull almost any random part off the shelf and have it fit.... There's more swap possibilities than most people think, but finding the 'combination' can try your patience! LOL

Joe Travers and F-ONE like this.