Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical factory paint candy red

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rocco611, May 31, 2021.

1. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

I just spoke to the painter. the Ford code is 'RR' and the Mazda is "46V". one goes over a red basecoat, the other goes over a gold base.

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Yup,love the look of these candys,they are WOW,but the talk you guys are doing about it,I'm not understanding much of. Never had that kind of $$$$$ for just paint for my cars.
    Sure I painted my own cars,but one stage an only one with clear over. All in the back yard. So not my thing to get fanzy. Thanks in any case,for the fun of looking in on how too's. Old dog not learning this trick,but it is cool as hell looking!
    I'll be staying with my High Gloss Black one stage*,same as been doing for 62 years now. MarksPicof My rod.jpg

loudbang and anthony myrick like this.
  3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

loudbang, Tman and dana barlow like this.
  4. Mazda also had a Celestial Blue color that had a somewhat candy look as well. Also has a pearl in it. We painted Taboo with it after seeing a Mazda with it on a used car lot. It has a real pop to it and its easy to match on touch ups as we had to do a few small spots on the car after putting it back together. 20140704_091343.jpg IMG_0298.JPG

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I was going to say there's some nice blues out there now too.

loudbang likes this.
  6. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

It's funny, I was actually going to start a thread on this color a while back, but I figured I'd be run out with pitchforks if I started talking about Mazdas.

There's a lot of nice colors out there, but that Soul Crystal Red is stunning. I think there was an older version that was great, but didn't pop quite the same. Might've been just Soul Red, or Crystal Red--can't remember. I do remember the first time I saw the Soul Crystal Red going down the road in full sun--it was also the first time a Mazda had ever turned my head. I had also just learned that my 55 Roadmaster had been Titian Red, and was thinking that Mazda color would be a nice upgrade. Not at those prices though! I'll have to settle for whatever is closest in the $200/gal range.

7. I’m at the paint store now.
    the RR retails at $350 per Qt in PPG Deltron. Global would be more.
    It requires a grey sealer.
    The 2nd stage is a tinted clear. Those tints for a qt of clear are around $30.
    Then add your 3rd stage clear.

the 46v Mazda lists at $370 per Qt in Deltron.
    Same for the toners for the clear.
    we got a correction or clarification for the “4th stage”.
    PPG is calling the “value shade” sealer as the first stage.

loudbang and Tman like this.
  8. Good old RR..Ruby Red....never forget the first time I rubbed the factory finish on a Ford in that color and wondered why my buffing pad was red...was a hoot when that color stated coming into the shops and you had to go up front and argue with the insurance guy that it was a tri stage and you needed more paint hours....

loudbang likes this.
  9. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Thats a whole lot of work for painting a Mazda hood when they only allow 4 hours to do it including feather edge prime and block. It sux to be a painter

loudbang likes this.
  10. I know shops that charge 2x the spray time for these colors.

loudbang and 1-SHOT like this.
  11. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Hit it with a hammer CCC88167-6505-444B-9FAB-A687C3071D4F.jpeg Hits 2x the flat rate is not enough to block and prime and block again and they graciously add 1 hour to blend adjacent panels

loudbang and anthony myrick like this.
  12. If the estimate is written correctly, there should be enough.
    On a new ride, if it’s straighten correctly, one prime and block is all that’s needed.

13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Calling VanDenPlas! Reort to the HAMB stat!

14. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Price all the paint materials, OEM paint colors are outrageous.
    Panel painting will not work with that color you will need to spray body panels next to each other all at the same time.
    One thing the color doesn't fade but it gets much darker.
    Id go with House of kolor.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Your probably not going to panel paint HOK either. Especially a candy.
    Performing a blend is much quicker than trying to achieve a perfect match for a panel paint.
    It can be difficult even when spraying from the same original paint. Air pressure, temp, humidity, spray technique all affect the color shade.
    Blending a pearl, which is basically what the Mazda color is, is easier to repair than a candy. For me anyway

loudbang likes this.