Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical factory paint candy red

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rocco611, May 31, 2021.

1. Rocco611

Rocco611
    from Madera Ca.

I was in phoenix this weekend, I saw a new mazda cx-5 in a parking lot, wow the red really popped. I was checking out the paint, the lady that owned it came out the the store freaked out asking if there was something wrong with her car. I was a little embarrassed but told her, Im just checking out the paint, car looks amazing the color is soul red crystal. she said the red was about a grand extra for that color. Its two sizes of flake in a red basecoat, a red transparent clear and clear coat. I have recently got back into candies, I have found the SEM and House of Kolor candies shoot much easier than the metalflake brand lacquers I used back in the 70's 80's I am seriously considering the soul red paint for my 32 roadster. I am wondering about the red transparent midcoat though, if it more resistant to fading than traditional candies.

Spoggie, dana barlow, jnaki and 2 others like this.
  2. Should be a Tri coat? I had an OT truck done that way in Copper, VERY Durable. @anthony myrick or @earl schieb would have the best answer

Spoggie and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

I work in a body shop and I’ve seen a Mazda’s with that color, and Ford uses it too. The newer candies don’t fade like the old stuff. The Mazda color uses a candy to tint a regular clear coat as a mid coat. As apposed to using a intercoat clear to carry the candy. I think by tinting a normal urethane clear it ads some extra UV resistance that the old stuff didn’t have. Just be warned though, the tiny bottle of candy tint is extremely expensive and the bottle isn’t even half filled when it’s new. It’s a concentrate.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had that color on my short list for the same reason and even took a shot of a Mazda that color in the parking lot at a show I went to a couple of weeks ago.
    From what I have been reading It is beyond a challenge to shoot. I haven't tossed it around with the guy who will probably paint the truck yet to see what he says.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Tman like this.

5. Yeah what he said ^ cheap for sure. Seems I'm shooting a lot of it lately. I like the mid coat in base form, not the tinted clear. Looking at about $2500 just for a gallon of each stage.

Spoggie, lothiandon1940 and Tman like this.
  6. I’ve shot the Toyota version.
    If you want it to look like the car you admired, you have to duplicate the process. Meaning don’t try to get a paint store to mix it in single or even two stage. The new pearls are easier to shoot than the old school candy.
    That color should require a “value shade” sealer. That’s a tinted sealer required to achieve the factory hue.
    And don’t expect to purchase all the needed paint and mid coats for a couple hundred bucks.
    The collision chop guys usually double the spray labor to cover all the steps.

7. That "value shade" can look pretty weird. Mine was in mandarin copper and the value shade looked like the old VW burnt orange from the 70s!

8. My wife's Mazda 3 is that colour. Every second one around here seems to be. I'm be lying if I said I didn't often walk past it and go "Mmm..?"

9. It is an amazing color and I am not a fan of reds! Also, there are some amazing brown hues out there in the same process. Lavin and I saw one today and I mentioned how good it would look on our 51 GMC

10. Rocco611

Rocco611
    from Madera Ca.

I work in a body shop and I’ve seen a Mazda’s with that color, and Ford uses it too. The newer candies don’t fade like the old stuff. The Mazda color uses a candy to tint a regular clear coat as a mid coat. As apposed to using a intercoat clear to carry the candy. I think by tinting a normal urethane clear it ads some extra UV resistance that the old stuff didn’t have. Just be warned though, the tiny bottle of candy tint is extremely expensive and the bottle isn’t even half filled when it’s new. It’s a concentrate.

cool good to know , I see what you mean about the using uv clear as apposed to mix clear. I have used both, film thickness is a bit less with the mix clear. my 32 coupe in my avitar image is regal blue candy lacquer with clear imron over it, paint is 40 years old now, yes it has faded some.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    loudbang and Tman like this.
  11. Intense system, thanks for sharing!

12. Rocco611

Rocco611
    from Madera Ca.

impressive blend. :) nice spray equipment too. I still have a jga502 and binks model 7 , they waste a lot of material though ,I have worked around the short coming of the HF guns with some success. I was looking at the new devilbiss guns...... nice. I worked in a custom paint shop when I was a pup. did a lot of custom candy lacquers and murals with candy lacquers from heavy metal magazine art work.. end of the day we washed our arms down with lacquer thinner and would go to the bar. not smart back then or even old enough to drink.

13. The camera he used is replacing the chip books and decks now.
    I went to a class for the Toyota red pearl. I thought it was really easy.
    As far as hold out or fading asked by the OP, I’d say almost anything would out last lacquer candy.

14. Iwata makes a very nice economy gun that’s around $135-150 new

lothiandon1940, fauj and Tman like this.
  15. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

House Of Kolor, real kandy. The factory colors are tri coats. There's a difference.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Rocco611

Rocco611
    from Madera Ca.

Yes I understand the difference. Both SEM and HOK state that the Candies will fade over time in the sun, HOK has a Tri Coat system that looks very close to true candy that they say is easier to repair and doesn't fade in the sun I get the true candy has much more depth than Tri coat paint. I was very impressed with the Mazda color though. I have noticed that the HOK and SEM candy concentrates are identical in color. I have also sprayed out some candy powders I added to HOK clear I really could not tell the difference from the concentrates.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

tick one up for the Japanese car maker, that red is great, is there a hotrodder working in there somewhere?

anthony myrick and loudbang like this.
  18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And people wonder why some of us paint our hot rods with semi- gloss farm implement paint...it's $40 a gallon...:D

19. Rocco611

Rocco611
    from Madera Ca.

when I was about 5 years old my dad brought home a gallon of safety orange from the Texaco oil field where he worked. we were living in a rental house at the time that looked really weathered. My dad started painting the porch railing with the orange. the neighbors gathered round and and offered to pay for the paint if he would paint it some other color. they bought the paint .....so about ten years later, that gallon was still around when I started driving. I sprayed my friend Mikes hotrod with it , My first paint job, with a cheap craftman pressure feed gun

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    pvfjr, Tman, Algoma56 and 2 others like this.
  20. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Yes, the new colors look pretty spectacular compared with the usual new car colors. I don['t know if I've seen the Mazda version, but I've got a little story about the Cadillac Tricoat Candy red.
    Had a friend who wanted his 67 GTO fixed up. Did a full frame off on it, but since it wasn't numbers matching in the first place, and he was hot rodding the engine/trans, he wanted a non-stock color. He loved the look of the Caddy Tricoat Red. When I priced it out, the cost seemed pretty high. So I looked into buying the paint from HOK, in REAL Candy, Red over Silver. It was actually a few hundred dollars cheaper! My friend was not convinced, so I bought some 1/2 pints of the Caddy red pearl base, and the mid coat. Did pray outs of that, and the HOK side by side. No comparison. The real Candy blew it away! That's what we painted it with.
    The modern colors are a tinted mid coat over a similar color pearl. To make it easier to spray, and to touch up. WHile it does take a lot of skill to blend off a factory Tricoat, it is MUCH easier than with real Candy! And doing an overall...the same. The use of the same color as an underbase, probably adds to the claim that it doesn't fade, too. There's twice as much "red", so it would take longer to fade. The more recent HOK Candies, if used with the UV protectant clear, do not fade nearly as fast as the old lacquers. They hold up pretty well.
    Pic of the GTO, sorry, it's not HAMB era, but we're talking paint here...traditional paint! Paul Johnson GTO 002.jpg

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

beautiful colors - has been said, "nothing is cheap anymore, except me" - anyone remember Earl Scheib paint job " Any Car, Any Color - $19.95"?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  22. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

What happened to- apply a coat - 50 percent overlap- walk away-20 minutes- apply a second coat - walk away ? If this was lacquer- there’d be so much solvent trapped in there ? Holy crap -if I applied that much paint at one time it be all over the floor ! Doesn’t these new fangled waterborne paints need time in between coats ? Didn’t Rocco611 say it was Imron clear over lacquer-so the Imron is fading?

23. HVLP guns are used this way. 75% overlapor more, closer to the panel, fluid wide open and travel fast.
    You get way less overspray this way. Plus some new cleats have ZERO flash time.

24. Yep, some of the new colors are awesome, and the urethane clears keep them protected for some time. But, with the prices of all materials, I'm glad I have a couple of friends who are really good painters. I can't afford to screw up the good stuff!

25. Rocco611

Rocco611
    from Madera Ca.

The Candy under the clear Imron faded some over 40 years, garaged most of the time though. it was a lot of coats of Lacquer, lacquer primer 100s , silver base coat. candy in lacquer clear, then a couple coats of clear lacquer. let the solvent evaporate for a day. sanded with 600 then clear Imron. I have no idea if the imron had any UV inhibitors . Had no problem with solvent trapping. My 65 mustang , blue imron , candy laquer graphics then clear imron over everything . after 10 years in the sun the lacquer graphics blistered through the clear, the rest of the paint didnt.

26. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Ever since the 50s, my brother and I have liked the Candy Apple Red color on any trucks or hot rods. At the big car shows, it seemed like the Candy Apple Red color was the most popular, similar to the darker shade of the Tahitian Red color. If a few shade levels were taken out of the Tahitian Red color, it could turn out to be Candy Apple Red.

The color has always stuck in our minds. When the factories began to supply the general public with fancy color choices, the name Candy Apple was already a legend color, so they had to come up with something. Each big factory called their color something different, but, in the sunlight, their colors were pretty close to the original.

Our neighbor has a Candy Apple Red color CX-5, too. It stands out even when their garage door is open and it is not sitting on their drive way. When it is in the driveway, the sun plays outstanding images as we drive by.

Jnaki

The color makes my wife always comment that it is one of her favorite colors on any car or truck. If we did not have two paid for daily drivers, she is leaning toward that Candy Apple Red color for the next vehicle. Out of all the different manufacturers, the CX-5 is the closest to the original color. IOHO

Note:
    upload_2021-6-8_5-15-33.png
    We are keeping an eye on this one. Or, my wife just got the notion to completely re-do our floor tiles, kitchen, office, a new garage door, and new bedroom make overs, so for the time being, that is taking up our time and energy.

But, that Candy Apple 40 Ford sedan is still on our to do list and we keep talking about it constantly. Besides, our granddaughter is now driving and in need of a form of transportation for her pandemic/post pandemic activities. So, one of our daily drivers might go to her and we get another chance at an old hot rod.

The HAMB, the BAT website, and of course the powerful/all reaching Google Website Search Engine are our choices for our next project car or somewhat complete hot rod sedan.
    upload_2021-6-8_5-17-36.png
    This paint is House of Kolors Candy Brandy Wine

anthony myrick likes this.
  27. Rand Man

Rand Man

Seems like all the car companies have a really sweet candy red nowadays. I call it Razorback red, really popular around here.

28. goldmountain

goldmountain

That Mazda red is amazing. The other day I saw a Lincoln Corsair. It looked like candy red also. Anyone see any other candy colors other than red?

29. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I've been noticing those Mazdas painted that color as well, it's really nice.