Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tired of homogenized hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Are there wheels on the pan?:eek:

Stogy likes this.
  2. Has to be close.
    Dang what a shoe horn job

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yeah, I though getting the supercharger under the stock hood of my son's '54 Stude wagon was tight, but an A is even smaller and a blower is taller.

anthony myrick and Stogy like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe that was a Navy or Airmans Hotrod...mid to late 60s pretty clean machine and yeah Stuffed!

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...enized-hotrods.1002926/page-169#post-13782692

The Chopped Coupe is the Icebox and it has been shared here several times...Really cool Hotrod with lots of Unique Styling...but I don't mind reruns as stuff gets buried...making new cameos all good as some may not know of it...

Here's a Thread on it...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/any-history-on-the-ice-box.931199/

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Hamtown Al and anthony myrick like this.
  5. verde742

verde742

This belongs to Jim Green family, Jim died.

[​IMG]

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^I'd run side curtains on that :cool:

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5dd4eb455a862d6cb234b87e5476cc09.jpg

:rolleyes:...This gets the Wild Thing Award for the night...Gaarooovy...;)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  8. birdman1

birdman1

In the 40's and 50.s if you wanted a hot rod or custom car, you had to go to the junkyard and get parts to build it yourself or a shop to build it. No more junkyard with old Ford anymore. If it wasn't for the aftermarket parts, there would be far less hotrods around. To each his own

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My wife says ours is a junkyard. :(

loudbang, Stogy and Jet96 like this.
  10. AmishMike

AmishMike

Great looking smooth side. But with that uphill radius rod & cowl steering back over a foot, bet the “bump steer” kept you focused on which direction she was headed

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There still are junkyards dotting North America...few and far between mind you...but 1-800 shops do abound and back in the day Cal Custom, So Cal, J.C.Whitney and many others existed so in some ways things have not really changed, if anything the ratio of junkyard sourced versus 1-800 bought has changed do to availability and price of course...

I have great admiration for the Traditional rodders and customizers that do seek out the original parts for the authentic real deal feel but never consider anyone who achieves Hamb worthy Hotrod or Custom in a more 1-800 way any lesser...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These faux pas have been with Hotrod since the backyard/garage movement began...I know all to well the Geometry issues that have been discussed here...I look beyond that...it's up to the Builders when and where to to seek guidance and I truly believe it was and still is optional...doesn't make it right I know but wrong in Hotrod is Traditional as apple pie...

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cactus1, Jet96, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  14. AmishMike

AmishMike

^^^ right of coarse. Years ago built because did not know better & concerned only with the “right” look. Now when building should know better. Build for the trailer & look or short slow ride to the cruise in - or build properly for the long road trip & safety.

Stogy likes this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike you saw that Thread calling out the geometry issues...many were staunch deniers so it looks like the Tradition of to heck with the geometry continues...

It gets skewed by looking at old pics of Indy, Drag and Dry Lakes images showing setups similar without understanding the dynamics of Racing versus Street...I believe I was fortunate that the one who built my Hotrod DID consider the geometry...

GuyW, AmishMike and rotten ron like this.
  16. Derek Dandurand

Derek Dandurand

Thanks for the shoutout!! I’m so proud of my grandpas Hotrod history and even more his stock car history in the 40s-50s!! Here’s a photo of him winning his second track championship in 1954! He was unstoppable in the 50s! I’ve been searching for this 33 3 window for about a decade and won’t stop until I find it!

Attached Files:

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

39406220_2102110589823417_3472788922071777280_n.jpg

:rolleyes:...Make No Bones about it...dare to be different with Vintage Inspiration at the heart of it...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

alfin32, hfh, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

alfin32, Jet96, A Boner and 4 others like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    HarryT, Jet96, 63fdsnr and 3 others like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20210623_002547.jpg

:rolleyes:...@dana barlow, 2D1 inspired actually as bulbs are halogen but within real glass and lens all vacuum sealed are period to 63...when did the 7" Hi/Lo Sealed Beam Bulbs appear?

The Buckets are Dietz Inspired...lots of Hotrods were running them in the Magazines of the time...

These are replicas of something back then and quite passable despite a couple of mechanical flaws that I worked around...

Ready for a Shock...

0_20210609_030936.jpg

:eek:

Can you say Evolution...:D

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    AHotRod, Jet96, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Headlight Shock too many hot rodders*who just happen to think they like big old headlights. Is really there misread of history. I know I often said only 7in. sealbeams look right on hot rods that are styled to be late 1940s,1950s and 1960s. Big older ones were thought of as something that didn't work well an had a bad look= bulky heavy an the big size just looked like poor aero=not a hot rod look of times.
    There has been a lot of misreads after that golden time of Rods an customs,by those who did not live an work in it!.
    As I said many times before,we put those big ugly poor working old lights in the trash can.
    Today those old big lights can be made to light up the road and are even repoped to sell too those that don't know they were crap before=but that dose not change the fact they were poor at it an very weak when brand new before the 1940s.
    So the excuse"I like the looks of them,I see them on a lot of car!"is used a lot,but in part is a bubble of new BS by those with a hole in there info of history.
    * https://www.carid.com/articles/brief-history-of-sealed-beam-headlights-in-us.html
    It's your rod,so for sure do as you like! Your the one needs to like an enjoy your car.!
    But don't fool your self about history, know when something is faked, most* hot rod builders in the golden age,put the big old lights in the trash can.
    T-buckets were the exception,the style of T-buckets built for show,often used old brass gas lights for shock value.
    When I look at rods now days,I really like most of them a lot,even if one or more details are not what I like or would do. I'm sure the same is true when others look at my own hot rods I've built.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

A lot of it is about the surface area and weight. Pushing those big lights through the atmosphere takes horsepower. Many of todays street driven rods have more power than is needed for the use they actually see, they could push a snowplow. Back then when HP was hard to come by pushing lights with a flat surface nearly as big as the radiator with no air flowing through them hurt performance. Drive down the road at 70 and hold them out the window. You will feel the difference.That is the only excuse I see for bug eyes. The bright little 7" sealed beams were a two-fold improvement. I'll have a set of big olds and 7" for my roadster to see which I like best. It would be interesting to do a fuel milage test with each set.

dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HarryT likes this.
  24. birdman1

birdman1

My speedway motors and junk parts 37 ford coupe dirt car/ street car.with my great grandson 3451.jpeg IMG_20210619_104555873.jpg IMG_20210619_104555873.jpg 3451.jpeg

25. This pict. looks like out in front of Valley Custom Shop on San Fernando Rd in Burbank Ca.

Stogy and 63fdsnr like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John, I many times chase the source down if I can and in this case I just did now...I was thinking it reminded me of Larry Watson for some reason...The Hotrod The Niekamp Roadster...talk about Hotrod Custom Lineage Larry did a period build which wasn't unusual to many survivors...perhaps Joe Barnett took alot of Larry's pics or they had similar camera and film tastes...

Quoted from CCC...

[​IMG]

Rare photo of the cars 1958 version, was taken by Joe Barnett at an Los Angeles outdoor show.

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/...on-c-painter/ambr-painted-larry-watson/?hcb=1

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20210627_005935.jpg

20210627_010020.jpg

:rolleyes:...Stogy isn't much of a book reader but I do know of Albert Drake as a man much like Rockerhead a Hotrodder and he's a Hamber to boot...Too Cool...I like his taste in Hotrods...

A belated Birthday wish to a man who has certainly influenced the Culture we revere everyday...

I hope your day was Cake and Hotrods @Albert Drake...;)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

unnamed (17).jpg

hot-rod-flathead-ford-powered-fiat-roadster-body-1932-grill-rat-custom-scta-vtg-4.jpg

:rolleyes:...Not it's 1st appearance in this Thread...I believe this is still around sold as a project...I think it was a Fiat...and of course period Apple Pie Hotrod...

Can't wait to see it back in the game...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021