Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Black ice SUCKS!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Hey fellas, it's been awhile since I was on here due to my '47 Ford being wrecked, first Hot Rod I've wrecked out of about 80 cars in 45 years. On Feb 18th I was turning left at an intersection I drive everyday, on this day I hit some black ice, while I was slowing down and turning she kept going her own way right into a phone pole. The damage was to the left of the engine thank God, it took out both fenders and grille but not the hood, from the firewall back everything is as nothing ever happened, the glass is all good and the doors open an close like normal. I broke my wrist and fractured a bunch of ribs in the shape of the steering wheel.
    It's been hard on my mind and was not much for looking at car forums until today. Since I no longer have a garage plus having cancer and 61 yrs old I guess I'm going to have to sell it and get something else. I'll try and get pics Sunday and post them. Thank the Lord no one else was involved, I couldn't handle that.
    Hope everyone has been safe and health. I be on here a lot more now.
    Talk to everyone later. Bingo. (Michael)

2. So sorry to hear this. Very sad on all counts. I hope you beat the beast and everything else works out for you.

3. 1ton

1ton

Hey Big O. Hope you are on the mend. Gotta beat the big C too. And yes, black ice does suck. I did the same thing when I was younger. About half way through a turn my car broke loose and went into a curb straight on. No visible damage to the car but it sure didn't do it any good. Awful tough rebuilding your car without a garage. Maybe you find a good runner to tinker with just so you got something to drive. Chin up and belly out.

4. Sporty45

Sporty45

Sorry to hear that. Really takes the wind out of your sail when something like that happens. Good luck battling the big C and hope you find a car to suit you.

williebill, reagen, loudbang and 2 others like this.

5. brady1929

brady1929

Glad your crash wasn't worse. Now kick the crap out of cancer.

williebill, reagen, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  6. Thanks for the moral support.

7. Thanks, I'm looking for a '60 Caddy DeVille driver at the moment, but you never know what will turn up .

8. Been fighting it for 3 yrs and I'm still going strong, very glad it's 2021 and not 1921, back then after you passed they'd cut you open and say "well that's what killed him".

9. You can do this!

williebill, BigO, brady1929 and 2 others like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

Damn O, eff the car, take care of yourself first. Thoughts be with you.

williebill, BigO, brady1929 and 2 others like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad the Big Guy was looking out for you but you still took a major shit kicking...bouncing back from that is going to take some time...to bad you couldn't mend the Ole Coupe...Its not a Deuce so parts might not be astronomically priced...

Maybe time for a 39 Chevy Coupe...;)

Take care @BigO and hope that C shit is being kept at bay...at 61 you got a lot more living to go...baby steps...

210superair, williebill, BigO and 4 others like this.
  12. williebill

williebill

Keep fighting, man. Lots of us are right there with you.

BigO, brady1929, reagen and 2 others like this.
  13. Kick cancer’s ass! Never Give Up. You can do it!

williebill, BigO, brady1929 and 3 others like this.
  14. wicarnut

wicarnut

Sorry to hear, Speedy recovery and get back in your normal groove. Enjoy the new ride, good luck shopping.

williebill, BigO, brady1929 and 3 others like this.
  15. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

Sorry to here about the crash but it can repaired. Hope you are doing ok from cancer. I am also recovering from cancer but am doing ok.

16. BigRRR

BigRRR

As far as driving, black ice ranks up near the top of scary ... Twice in my life at freeway speeds spinning like a top ...
    But nothing as scary as cancer, sounds like your in good hands - prayers for a full recovery and a new ride.

BigO, brady1929, reagen and 3 others like this.
  17. Truckedup

Truckedup

I been dealing with a very lethal cancer for nearly two years.. You don't fight cancer, you're just a punching bag for the disease. The best you can do is keep ducking the punches and hope the cancer gets bored and leaves..
    Yeah, sliding on the ice never ends well, cars can be replaced you can't, best of luck to you Big O !

210superair, williebill, BigO and 6 others like this.
  18. Lil32

Lil32

stay safe and well
    I beat prostate cancer a few years ago,had 39 radium treatments,reading went from 5 to .25

williebill, charleyw, BigO and 8 others like this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

Wow I was just wondering where you have been not seeing any posts for awhile. Well that is two pieces of bad news but the good thing is you are still here among friends.

20. 9200 IH

9200 IH

BigO Sorry to hear about your car, injuries and health. I really like your car. If I was closer I would come over and help with the repairs. As far as the cancer, I am a 8 year survivor. I have had some of my plumbing rearranged inside and out. I'm 64 and drive and maintain a flat bed semi every day and work on hot rods all the time. Stay positive things will get better.
    Mike

21. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Hi BigO......cars can be replaced. Keep fighting that bastard disease. I was diagnosed with throat cancer last September, operated on October, underwent chemo and radiotherapy November, December, January and my consultant was totally surprised at my progress at the beginning of March.
    I had a full body petscan last week and my consultant says she will be seeing me for the next five years to monitor me.
    You can beat this, we can beat this. I know I,ll probably never meet you due to distance, but I do know there's dark days and good days and only someone who has gone through or is going through this truly understands, so if you wanna ever vent or communicate via pm I promise I will be here for you brother.

fauj, loudbang, williebill and 6 others like this.
  22. reagen

reagen

Sorry to hear, Prayers

23. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry about your car. In our area, black ice can get you when you least expect it. Good luck in your battle with C!

loudbang and BigO like this.
  24. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I’m so sorry to hear about your tin. It can all be fixed . The Cancer is another issue . I’ll be praying for the best of recovery for you . Something to think about , 28 years ago , the Dr walked in and told me “ you have stage 4 cancer and the survival rate is at 20% to make it 5 years .” Well brother that was 3 surgeries , a year of chemo , 30 days of radiation , and 28 years past . Don’t sweat the small stuff keep pushing forward . You can beat this .

loudbang, williebill, BigO and 5 others like this.
  25. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

So sorry to read this. I always enjoyed your posts..

We have a lot of black ice here in Pittsburgh. More than that is bridges and people who don't know how to drive over them during the colder seasons. They ice up real fast and people think they are clear because the roads are clear but there not! I've seen so many cars hit the on ramp and start spinning in circles. Pittsburgh has more bridges than any other city in the world..

loudbang and BigO like this.
  26. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When ice forms anywhere, it covers what is underneath. Sometimes it does not matter how fast or slow one is going if the situation is against you and your car. It can happen even on sunny days when driving on curving mountain roads.

On one side, it is sunny and the low hill sides show a little growth with patches of snow. But the road is dry and “grippy.” But, going around the little hillside throws a shady spot on the other blind road surface. If the temperatures are low enough, snow and ice will still be on the darkened surfaces. (Mainly on the road.)

Sometimes it is not enough to go around the curve slowly, but the sunny days give all of us a ray of nice driving to our destinations. For us, the highway 58 from Barstow to Bakersfield is the last remaining flat surface roadway prior to going up into the local mountains with lake Isabella as a destination from the So Cal Los Angeles area. Once leaving the major highway to go into the mountains, the curves can be somewhat misleading.

Of all names, the Caliente/Bodfish Road is the only way to get to Lake Isabella in this great looking mountain area. The views are good, the road is not that crowded and the driving is simply relaxing.

Jnaki

But, one winter driving day to go see the grandparents was bright and sunny. But, as we drove up into the mountains, it became slow and dangerous. We did not know it, but as we rounded a sunny small hillside corner, it was almost an “S” curve to the next small hillside curve.

We made the first corner ok as our El Camino tires gripped well and we kept going forward. The second curve also had another “S” pattern and a two foot drop off was on the right side for drainage. As we rounded the corner, slowly, I could feel the tires starting to slide. We learned to just let off of the gas, and the car would slowly drop back onto the road surface.

But, this shaded area was coated with ice and we started skidding as we turned on the curve. The rear slid to the right and immediately dropped the right rear wheel into the drop off, leaving us in a tight blind side turn and stuck with the wheel dangling. We were stuck and taking up the blind spot lane on this empty mountain road.

I had my wife walk to the blind corner we just came around with a bright red, extra jacket to stick on a pole/branch. It took about 30 minutes for the next driver to come up into that same corner headed our way. The red jacket made him slow down and creep around the corner. He immediately helped me find more little rocks and sticks to put under the tire for traction. He changed the red jacket with a flare and did the same on the downhill lane around the next bend going North.

Needless to say, he was a local rancher and said this time of the year, the sun melts most of the ice and at night, it drops back to freezing, so any moisture gets frozen for the next morning. He also said that despite caution, a lot of people driving slowly still slide over the icy road shaded by the small hillsides.

BigO likes this.
  27. Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Thanks, the health part is under control, so now to a car, I had a 39 Chevy Coupe that I was customising but had to get rid of it.

dana barlow, loudbang and williebill like this.
  29. Thanks, my doctor is Great and has the cancer under control, the BIG MAN must still need me for something, I guess that's why I'm still here.