Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 64 Buick ST400 Transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bangingoldtin, Jun 3, 2021.

1. After researching old threads and contacting numerous parts suppliers and transmission shops to no avail, I thought I would throw this out. Getting ready to tear into this unit for an overhaul, and I cannot get a consistent answer on whether the bushings are the same as the 65 and up units. I do know the output shaft bushing is smaller and the valve body is a one year thing. Different answers from every transmission shop I have contacted, and all of the major parts suppliers say they will research it and get back to me (they don't). Anybody had their hands in one of these and can share the straight scoop? Or I could just buy a TH400 bushing kit and hope for the best?

2. young51

young51

3. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

I’m pretty sure the ext housing bushing was smaller and the output shaft to ring gear hub bushing was taller and had a hole in it. All earlier transmissions had this style bushing and should still be available. If the 2 bushings in the sun shaft are in good shape,don’t change them, the ones that come in the kit are tight after they are installed.

squirrel likes this.

4. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

try tom telesco, stamford ct (203) 324-6045
    he's the east coast nailhead guru. did the fastest 66 gs nailhead.
    makes the starter kits and roller rockers

5. My 1969 ATP catalog says they are all the same except for the extension housing bushing. There were 3 different lengths of these available, 27/32" (7/8") 1" an 1¼" having an OD of 1.795". There was also the 1.995" OD one which I don't know the length of. I can only buy and sell the 1¼" one, as IMG_2162.JPG the 27/32" and 1" are not being made anymore. Dave

6. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

7. Thanks, that info confirms the majority of the answers I am getting, and I have the yoke to confirm the ID of that bushing. Even though most opt for the 65-66 switch pitch, I am keeping 1964 as the upper limit for my build.

squirrel likes this.