Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1939 Ford Convertible Sedan Resurrection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The 39 guy, Sep 6, 2020.

1. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

IMG_5655R.jpg
    This portion of rocker was not included in the Bitchin kit so we had to build it from
    scratch.
    IMG_5640R.jpg
    The shrinker stretcher was put to good use here but for some bends we had to cut and patch.
    IMG_5641R.jpg
    The end result is this wavy piece.
    IMG_5643R.jpg
    I decided to add some width to the rocker where it interfaces with the motor mount.
    IMG_5644R.jpg IMG_5645R.jpg

IMG_5653R.jpg

IMG_5654R.jpg
    IMG_5666R.jpg
    It all came out alright and is plenty stout. The floor no longer wiggles.

Attached Files:

2. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

IMG_5683R.jpg
    Finally finished welding in the tool box.

IMG_5687R.jpg
    I thought it would be a good time try in the gas tank. It is a stainless tank from Bob Drake
    that I bought several years ago. It has provision for the fuel sender unit and an internal
    fuel pump. I really don't like having to work in a small hole while trying to install and service
    these items so I designed a good sized cover for the access cover.
    IMG_5688R.jpg
    After careful measuring we marked and cut the hole....
    IMG_5689R.jpg
    Turned out we measured off the wrong side of the tank.... So a do over was required.
    We missed it by 2 2/2"!
    IMG_5690R.jpg
    I was able to weld the piece back in without distortion.
    IMG_5692R.jpg
    After cutting out the opening in the correct location I made some tabs out of 1/8"strap.
    I drilled and tapped them for 10-24 screws and plug welded them to the floor.
    IMG_5693R.jpg
    The cover was made from 18 ga. steel
    IMG_5694R.jpg

IMG_5695R.jpg
    Cover fits pretty good . I wil replace the current screws with flat head screws later on.

3. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

It's time to make some tool box covers. Ford made these from wood. I have found that
    when you put a knee on them that they break. So I decided to add some 18 gauge steel to
    mine.
    IMG_5713R.jpg
    I roughed up the steel with the flap wheel.
    IMG_5714R.jpg
    I applied some 3M adhesive to both sides.
    IMG_5715R.jpg
    Carefully lined them up before putting them together. Once the two sides make contact
    they will not slide . I got lucky and they lined up pretty close.
    IMG_5725R.jpg
    I thought the covers need some extra support so I made these little braces out of 18 ga.
    IMG_5731R.jpg

IMG_5732R.jpg
    They work well.
    IMG_5742R.jpg
    Put some one inch finger holes in the covers and made another one of those cover hold
    downs. Ford only supplied one of the hold downs. I have always wondered why they
    only supplied the one. Well now I can put my fat old knee on the boards when crawling
    into that trunk over the rest of the build and not worry about breaking the board.

4. I like your little support tabs, I was contemplating exactly that yesterday afternoon! And today's task will be cutting the new access hole for the tank sender etc. I know my cover will not be that fancy though.:rolleyes:

The 39 guy likes this.
  5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thanks, Sam...for the 'heads-up confession' on cutting access on the wrong side...
    You then illustrated the method of re-welding one cover back on. Very smooth, great lesson.
    Bonded wood/steel covers make this a true improvement in trunk area.
    So much attention to detail. I'm 'glued' to this thread!

6. Nice progress. I like your tool tray shelf holders. I may need to borrow that idea.

A metal workers mantra...measure twice, cut once, learn to weld.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    The 39 guy likes this.
  7. I'm guessing you mean "body" mount? Otherwise, I'm confused as to which way is up. Lol.

The 39 guy likes this.
  8. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

That's correct Tim , I meant body to say body mount. I will have to correct that typo . That mount location is where the cast steel C pillar and convertible top support attaches to the frame.

9. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like you have another Big job,Sam. I just caught up and I'm looking forward to the trip.

10. Jhorvath

Jhorvath

Joel, if you could message me or email me I would like to talk to you about Bendix and some injector stuff from the 60s I am currently redoing a car and have questions and I’m from south bend so your not far away at all but if you could message me or email me [email protected] I would appreciate it, thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Lifter

Lifter

Wow, great work. I'm starting my 40ty coupe rebuild and you are giving me some great inspiration. My project is so bad I'm jacking the roof up and replacing everything below it. Keep up the good work.

12. Don't hate not cutting the hole incorrectly. God I hate that:) Really a great build thread. I wish there were more builds like this on here where we start with cars no one else will and save them. Keep the updated coming.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  13. Yes! Excellent thread and good fab work!

Hot Rod Ron likes this.
  14. that should say incorrectly.

15. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

As usual it's been awhile since my last post. We have gotten a few things done but I will post about that stuff later. I wanted to finish up posting this trunk tool box project which I have worked on off and on over the last few months when time allowed.
    IMG_5862R.jpg
    After working on my Buddy's 40 sedan I decided that it would be wise to cut these big
    panels into smaller segments. That outer edge is usually partially covered with interior
    Panels making it hard to get the tool box panel out.
    IMG_5864R.jpg
    So I cut it with a 4 1/2' cut off wheel
    IMG_5863R.jpg
    I had this piece I cut off of one of the floor panels to use for a brace.
    IMG_5866R.jpg
    After some trimming and fitting I welded in the brace.
    IMG_5865R.jpg
    The outside piece needed to be secured so I drilled and tapped for two 10x32 thread
    stainless flat head screws in each panel. This still allows for the outside panel to be
    removed easily for access to the corners of the tool box.
    IMG_5924R.jpg
    I also felt the main panels needed a way to keep the cover down on the outside edge.
    IMG_5925R.jpg
    The hook made from 18 Ga.
    IMG_5923R.jpg
    Finally done with this little project.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  16. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 39 guy, Mr.Norton and loudbang like this.
  17. Nice metal work

The 39 guy and loudbang like this.
  18. It's great to see this build continuing to make progress. Nice job!

The 39 guy and loudbang like this.
  19. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks Joel! Happy to see you are watching.

That sounds interesting Lifter, Hope you do a build thread on that coupe. It might keep me inspired to finish my project.

Thanks Hot Rod Ron! Sorry it has been so long between updates. The progress has been so slow for various reasons that I just haven't felt like posting. But still there has been lots of work being done and some progress so I will try to catch up with the work that has been done to date.

Thanks Tman! Keep watching!

Thanks 40FORDPU!

Thanks anothercarguy! Hope to see you posting on your inspiring build soon.

20. I know from past experience this is true!
    Great solution, so neat.

The 39 guy likes this.
  21. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Nice work. Keep pluggin away.

The 39 guy likes this.
  22. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Today's subject is the bottom of the passenger side C pillar.

IMG_5701R.jpg
    As you can see it needs some attention. Too far gone to repair in my opinion.
    IMG_5703R.jpg

IMG_5706R.jpg IMG_5707R.jpg IMG_5709R.jpg
    Just a few views of the piece we removed.
    IMG_5710R.jpg
    Now I won't say this is the best way to fabricate this piece but this is how we decided to
    go about it with the tools and skills we have on hand.Several small pieces were fabricated
    and welded together to make the one large piece.

IMG_5711R.jpg
    The shrinker stretcher was the tool of choice for this piece.
    IMG_5718R.jpg
    After several test fits and some tack welds the piece was temporarily screwed in place.
    IMG_5722R.jpg
    Th e C pillar is now welded and metal finished. So we moved on to the inner fender
    element of the project. This was shaped with a special tool we all have called a knee initially
    Then the English wheel and plannishing hammer were used to attain the final shape.
    IMG_5723R.jpg
    You can see here that we made a 90 degree backing piece to tack and hold the C pillar
    and inner fender piece together.
    IMG_5726R.jpg
    Welding along the edge to the 90 degree angle piece backing allowed me to me and the
    edge off to a rounded edge.
    IMG_5727R.jpg

IMG_5728R.jpg IMG_5729R.jpg
    After a few test fits and some cutting it fit pretty good.
    IMG_5730R.jpg IMG_5770R.jpg IMG_5771R.jpg
    We had to make one more element to join The c pillar to the rocker ( had put the C pillar
    project aside for awhile and fabricate the rocker) All of these little spot welds don't look too
    pretty while you are in process, but I find them necessary to avoid as much distortion as
    possible. I really don't like to show them but I do every once in awhile.
    IMG_5772R.jpg
    When a weld and patch come out looking like this it's time for some high fives in the shop.
    IMG_5773R.jpg IMG_5774R.jpg
    We will address the bottom of the C pillar when the body is on the rotisserie .
    IMG_5779R.jpg
    This piece needed a couple of cage nuts for the fender. I used some clear plastic to make
    a pattern off of the old piece to locate the holes. I didn't take any pictures of the nuts
    being installed this time. So until we get into the body work phase I consider this project
    a success for now.

23. Nicely done...that "knee" tool you speak of should never be underestimated. I've used it frequently, and like you, have been quite satisfied with the results...it can also be augmented by the "thigh" tool.

loudbang and The 39 guy like this.
  24. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Okay lets build / modify some rockers and install them. In order to move onto the c pillars and wheel tubs we needed to install the rear doors. To do that you need to install the B pillars. The B pillars need to be mounted on the floor and rockers. Yes lots of stuff to install just to hang the doors... I probably should have bought and used the one piece rockers from Carpenter or Drake but this came out all right.
    IMG_5748.JPG
    I bought the rockers from EMS. The back ones are PN 342 $53.00 Fronts PN 109 $120.00 I missed taking pictures of the front rocker modification. The bottom edge had to be cut to fit around the body mounts and along the frame
    The next few pictures show the extensive cuts needed to get the straight piece to fit to the frame rail and body.
    IMG_5746R.jpg IMG_5747R.jpg
    As pictured here I had the rocker under the seat pan. I later moved it to be on top of
    the seat pan flange. Those cuts were straight. Sheet metal wedges were welded into the gaps.

IMG_5749R.jpg
    5/16" holes were drilled for plug welds.
    IMG_5752R.jpg
    Floor pan was drilled for plug welds also.
    IMG_5753R.jpg IMG_5754R.jpg IMG_5755R.jpg IMG_5756R.jpg IMG_5757R.jpg IMG_5758R.jpg
    You can see here how the bottom of the rear rocker is cut to fit the frame mounting pad.
    IMG_5926R.jpg IMG_5966R.jpg
    The rear floor installed.I just put some screws in it for now. Will weld it all later.
    IMG_5967R.jpg

Attached Files:

25. Nice work on a complicated area! Love the look of new fresh steel.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Looking fantastic Sam. I've got to get my coupe done so I can start on mine.......

27. Me too. It looks so neat and clean.

28. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Great work as usual, thanks for updating.

loudbang likes this.
  29. sshep

sshep
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep up the good work. Always great to see another convertible sedan being saved.

30. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good, Sam. I'm just curious; are you using .023 or .030 mig wire?

loudbang likes this.