Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ball end of wishbone

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by twostickmutt, Apr 4, 2021.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

On my 47 Lincoln, I bought a lower ball cap off of eBay and used it to lower my bone. Put it on top of the bone and cut some solid spacers the height of the cup to go under the cup bolt ears. That way the pressure is distributed between the center of the cup and the ears. I also cut a piece of 1/4 plate and put it between the new upper cup and the crossmember for additional support. All that is bolted to the original crossmember with longer grade 8 bolts. I still don’t have room to drop the pan, but I have room enough the bone doesn’t hit the pan. The car drove the same after doing this, the added caster by lowering the bone ball didn’t seem to affect it much, if any.

fordcoupeguy and clem like this.
  2. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I'll keep you posted, need to refill the trans and bleed the front brakes.

3. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

I used a 3\4 in hiem end on mine when I lowered the wishbone. Been that way for years. The early Ford suspension was designed to work with one pivot point at the end of the wishbone. 4 bar is the only other system that works IMHO

4. dmar836

dmar836

... with a panhard bar.

BTW, what's a transmission pan?

5. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I guess if this helps then I'm happy.... If you know better than everyone else then bless you ....an if you are a smart ass I wish I had your free time

twostickmutt and Budget36 like this.
  6. clem

clem

yes, I understand what you are saying, but surely then the pivot point/ball joint and perch bolts would be a perfect triangle, - (meaning that the wishbones would intersect at the ball).

7. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did a 1940 Ford sedan about 25 years ago with the cross plate. It worked very well no real changes it was like installing a longer wish bone because the engineering was already done.

8. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I lowered mine an inch or so and still hit the trans pan.. Insert smug hot rods have 3 pedals joke here.... As started the engineering has been done already.

I'll check my stop nuts to see if they loosen.

9. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

You can also use a piece of heavy wall tubing and two wishbone cups to drop the bones down a little for clearance. Excuse the shitting drawing. IMG_20201009_142136.jpg

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That’s similar to what I did with mine. /\

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They can handle being twisted just fine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. dmar836

dmar836

If you are referring ot me, the first part was a real question based on reading the thread. The second part was a light hearted joke about a trans pan. Just razzing - didn't intent to trigger you.
    Apologies,
    D

13. clem

clem

@dmar836 - put an emoji thingie :D:):rolleyes:beside your comment and to the reader it changes the intention of what or how you are saying something, unless you are here all day everyday like some and they know you better....
    Panhard rod, -a lot of discussion on this topic, - most recommend them as you say, some not. I don’t have one and have not done enough miles to comment, other to say that I would don’t like the idea of a dead perch where it expects half of the spring to act like a panhard.

14. dmar836

dmar836

Yeah, I guess I'm not much on the social media front so forget about that.
    I don't care for them either but would be concerned(in a non controversial way ;)) if splitting the wishbone.
    Was just curious. The pan comment was just ribbing - not sure how that was offensive unless someone had experienced some severe hate in the past.
    Just learning.
    D

15. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

My comment was not related to being mad or triggered or upset, I have no care with what others think about my choice of drivetrain.
    It just didn't add anything since you don't need to drop the ball end or split the bones with a stick.
    It just wasn't funny.. Sorry

twostickmutt likes this.
  16. dmar836

dmar836

You referenced an AT comment in two more posts so I though maybe you did care. I get it.
    I hoped you had an opinion on the panhard since you are doing the mod.
    Clem covered it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  17. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Mentioned it cause you seemed to want attention for it... No panhard so far although I need one in the rear with ladder bars and transverse spring

twostickmutt likes this.
  18. clem

clem

Panhard rod is only necessary ( according to some) if you have cross steering on ( Ford) transverse spring and wishbone set up.

19. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Does one of the rod ends have reversed theads?, it should. If not try a system known as Nord locks. They consist of 2 serrated washers which interlock, You must use a plain washer between the nut and the nord locks to prevent the nut from turning the two washers. We use them on pump jacks on the rod string of oil wells, they don't come loose unless you un-torque them.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    clem likes this.
  20. clem

clem

@Illustrious Hector - thank you, I will research those.
    edit: - yes I have seen them, but had no idea of there application, - that should work just nicely. Thanks !

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  21. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I used the Pete and Jake's kit but have the speedway kit as well and both threads are different as one is a tie rod end the other is a hiem type end, let me know which one you have

22. Rod&relics

Rod&relics

Save the center piece, that ball and cap can still be used elsewhere.

23. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I have it...let me know if you need it

24. clem

clem

if this was directed to me, the rod end that I have is like this one from your earlier post...... 232C14CB-0859-4629-899D-02B15F9CD831.jpeg

25. Rod&relics

Rod&relics

Sure. I have another model A project planned and gathering the stuff. Takes 2 of them. Be up in the area in couple of weeks. Sent pm