Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ford f2 guys....steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slider-ok, May 29, 2021.

1. slider-ok

slider-ok
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from oklahoma

20210529_112349.jpg
    ford guys or anyone that has an idea. The drag link is straight but at an angle to the to the hub. The pitman arm isn't bent or has any play. I'm almost thinking the bracket that attaches the link to the hub (whatever its called) is bent or maybe took at hit at one time. The link hits the shock on a full turn. I'm thinking I need to heat and bend the bracket and make the link even to the frame. Am I in the right direction or???????

2. alchemy

alchemy

From that view I don't see the problem. All looks like it's in the right spot. Maybe the shock is the wrong size?

Give us a pic of the drag link hitting the shock. If it's on full turn, maybe the stop nuts on the axle got buggered and are now letting the wheels turn too far.

Old Fords are supposed to have a slight angle on the drag link from pitman arm out to the spindle arm. I can't see anything that looks wrong on yours. The centerline of the joint on the front of the drag link is also actually supposed to be a skosh ahead of the center of the axle. It looks a little weird when you first see it, but that's how Henry designed it.

Is the rub mark on your brake hose from the tire hitting it? If so, maybe the wheels are turning too far.

3. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Is your axle dropped?.. if so the steering arm was probably modified as well and may need a little bit of additional adjustment.....( heat and bend!)

4. slider-ok

slider-ok
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from oklahoma

Hey thanks, kinda hard to find a chiltons for a 51 ford at the book store....hard to find a book store now a days.
    Tires are turning to far can't seem to find a stop nut but then haven't really torn into it much. It's a project that I'm just starting and saw that after the fender was off. Wasn't sure if its normal or damaged...thanks again.

5. slider-ok

slider-ok
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from oklahoma

stock axle just been a farm truck all its life....just now starting to take the farm outa the truck.

King ford likes this.
  6. slider-ok

slider-ok
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from oklahoma

7. alchemy

alchemy

The stop nut is a long acorn nut on the keeper pin locking the kingpin into the axle. One on each side of the truck. Should probably be on the backside of the axle.

8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Chiltons and Motor Manuals are great for cars but pretty much offer nothing for commercial/trucks.
    https://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/fordpart.php?number=TR-4900

9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I see nothing wrong , looks bone stock to me , nothing modified. But I may missing something in the image .