Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Look out for the "Mickey Mouse" repairs of Previous Owners....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, May 26, 2021.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I never had the funds to buy a running project, so kinda like RJP, I never worried much about things. Kinda like buying a used engine sitting on a garage floor, I’d only pay core charge plus what I figured the bolt ina were worth to me.
    Having said that, I’ve pretty much seen it all, well, maybe not everything, but a lot. The one that really had me wondering though was bailing wire holding what was left of the steering box rag joint. No leather/belting left. The nubs were pretty much gone. The car had to have had some miles on it like that, as I was uncoiling the wire, the were more and more pieces of it. Like the guy driving it would wrap it a few more times when the steering was getting too loose.

When I pulled the brake lines out of a ‘42 Ford PU, it had compression T fittings for splices, the open end of the T had a bolt with sealing tape on it screwed in.
    I guess it’s a good thing I could never drive one home;)

2. fix it .....move on, content in the knowledge that the next caretaker will be getting a fine ride with no issues, concerns, or curiosities whatsoever

joel, clem, Pat Thompson and 4 others like this.
  3. adam401

adam401

When the next guy buys my coupe someday he will start a thread similar to this one.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess in light of the shit that those that morally shouldn't touch Anything mechanical have done most of us that have mechanical sense have managed to catch the nastiness before it killed oneself or those around them...so it certainly pays to go over stuff thoroughly and that goes for any Hamb Friendly and IF you don't have the skills let a trusted mechanic do an A to Z...

The other thing is some jurisdictions don't even require a safety cert and that is pretty scary for obvious reasons...

VANDENPLAS and F-ONE like this.
  5. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

My shoebox is the first car I've bought "done". The guy built it right, but man, he had a knack for not tightening nuts and bolts all the way! Lol. Still, all in all the car is good, a few repairs from time to time, but that's the fun part, right? We like turning wrenches, right?!?!

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't believe you...but I will say I thought of a Thread you started on a similar subject though...BUT there is a difference...bailing wire steering and open holes in gas tanks are not crude mods...

7. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Sometimes I wish I could be ok with slapping things together but I have to have it just so. How about when you see them at the drags, a pile of bungie cords and duct tape and then they go down the strip like there on 100%....

8. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

My step daughter took her Off Topic GM to a mechanic shop down town to replace the RAG JOINT. She drove around for a couple of weeks came over for a visit and ask if I could have a look at her car. She explain how the front end shakes and wobble’s now. It turns out who ever installed the rag joint had no understanding how they work. Some how it was bolted together solid! WTF! How’s that work??? It didn’t so to get some articulation the Idiot loosens the three steering box bolts!?? I informed her she was going to need a ride until this get rectified. It destroyed the input shaft / rag joint / steering column / and her livelihood. Her husband at the time wanted to argue about how to repair the mess and wanted to do it on the cheap . “I’ll have no part of that” I told the ASSHOLE . The husband and is friends attempted repairs with a steering column from the wrong “ make “of vehicle . It sat around for five years and went to the scrapper- Someone without the working knowledge- can fudge things up quickly.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mickey ears or Bunny ears...:D

hotrodjack33 and F-ONE like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I mentioned Mechanics I meant competent ones...that is a challenge in itself...:eek:

Glad you all lived to tell the story....

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. I have learned to just laugh at stuff that previous owners have done (well at least the ones that aren't safety concerns). Makes for good stories and I am sure that some things I have done in the past might be viewed that way too by others. Anyway, all part of dealing with stuff that others have had the opportunity to make better or screw up... Here is my favorite "Mickey Mouse" repair I found on a car I have right now... The funnier part may be that I haven't changed it yet, because it is still working. :rolleyes:

IMG_1147[1].JPG

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is many levels of compromise on this subject and many make you chuckle but don't threaten...many are done just to get one home in a pinch but long term blatant butchery is really scary...the barn hinge is actually pretty robust...

13. Kind of amuses me....bashing a previous owner for butchering the car you bought, after you have already bought it, proclaiming how incompetent they are, shouldn’t anyone who’s an “expert” see all of the butchery before purchasing? Therefore what is there to complain about if you chose to buy it anyways?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

The first thing I do is put the car up in the air and start the tightening process.. Usually every damn bolt and nut is loose.. I like when the universal joint nuts are hand tightened!

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some cars are flipped so much it's hard to know who was responsible...but if you bought it make it yours...sniff sniff what's that gas smell...I've had tanks leaking from rust at the strap but never open holes from a botched gas sender install...

That's a neat looking Coupe...isn't that the same as McCord's brother was in in the Cali Kid?...

Thor1 and F-ONE like this.
  16. My point was there are a lot of experts who bash others work because they would never do things like that yet they didn’t catch that when they bought it...

And yes I’ve done shoddy work myself, when I was learning what all this car stuff was about. It seems as though some were born knowing everything, I was not. I’m 42 years old and still learning

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. adam401

adam401

Agreed

Thor1, F-ONE and Stogy like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The tank sender was cleverly covered up and the linkage went unnoticed as well...the older they are the more one has to be vigilant and careful who one bashes as it may not be who you think it was...You are right though, buyer beware is advice that has major relevance in this Hobby...I've been fairly fortunate and my compromise repairs are generally robust or I leave it again to those that know the ropes...I'm still learning too and I never profess to know everything...;)

19. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I'd say a hinge is the perfect hanger for exhaust, allows the expansion and contraction of the system. Yea, Right. Ralphie

alchemy, Thor1, guthriesmith and 2 others like this.
  20. This nightmare still exists, nothing like adding weight to a flex plate to eliminate a engine vibration:eek:. 008.JPG

rockable, Thor1, guthriesmith and 2 others like this.
  21. Frank Kennedy

Frank Kennedy

As a fabricator I am pretty impressed with this amount of creativity

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

That right there borderlines on art.

ffr1222k, clem, VANDENPLAS and 5 others like this.
  23. goldmountain

goldmountain

I built a package tray for my coupe behind the seat. To attach it to the panel below it, I used a length of piano hinge. Beats it being in the scrap pile.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

My main intent of this thread is to be more diligent. Test all your road systems before hand.
    Whether you bought or built it....test it at home in real world conditions.
    I should have completely filled this car up at home as a test. Who does that? Well, really, you ought too. You may have loose connection...you may have missed something.
    I posted this so maybe you will not look like a dumbass at the gas station like I did....I earned it. Of course there's obvious hazard and I would hate to see anybody hurt.

Thor1, Stogy and guthriesmith like this.
  25. Honestly, this was a good reminder to all of us to look over stuff. I have had to work through several similar things on my daily driver Thunderbird similar to this that could have been avoided if I would have been more diligent to check things over closely. Some of my issues were from “Mickey Mouse” repairs while others were from degradation of parts (brake hose that sprung a leak :eek:). Anyway, thanks for sharing.

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't piano's come with 3 pedals too so it's only fitting...:D

27. My T Bird is a survivor. Sat in a barn for about 35 years (not a "barnfind" cause it wasn't lost), is basically unchanged from new. The only thing I've found is the coil wire from the ignition switch to the coil was about 3 inches to short and somebody spliced on an extension with a wire nut...

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was very very fortunate...the bird probably pecked his ass for that one...:D

I had a 66 GTO Conv...and I thought it was in great shape and I took a front fender off for some reason and there was a 6" sanding disc inside at the aft bottom backing about 1" of overflowing bondo...sure didn't expect that...White a grate color for a car full of bondo as it doesn't show it very well...

Thor1 and F-ONE like this.
  29. dmikulec

dmikulec

Damn. My grandpa taught me better than that when I was still in high school. And that's why I work on my own cars. I just don't trust anyone any more.

30. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Seems the rarer the parts available, the more Micky Mouse you run into. My car is a 10 year restoration showing some wear and I'm constantly shaking it down, looking for problems others overlooked or caused. Nothing catastrophic, just things that lead to premature failure. Catch it early, address it, shakedown, next one........

Joe

Stogy, Thor1, F-ONE and 1 other person like this.